Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Family member applied for #3 gold after #1 was closed & #2 converted to WE, the letter states the bonus.
Gold is different card therefore the closure probably does not matter.

The question everyone wants to know is, whether close card no.1 would affect the bonus on the Plat card which is 50K versus the Gold 30K.

Why would anyone get the Gold when the Plat offers 20K more? (unless it was by mistake, like a friend did it 2 months ago when she used the Citi site public offer versus the multiple links here.)
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone gotten a targeted 60k/3k spend offer in the mail lately? I've read a few reports of such recently.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Why would anyone get the Gold when the Plat offers 20K more? (unless it was by mistake, like a friend did it 2 months ago when she used the Citi site public offer versus the multiple links here.)
You mean like I just did, for example? In my case it was because the $750 required spend (vs. 3k for the Plat) fit better with the latest round of cc apps for my wife and myself. Will do the Plat again down the road when I can better handle the 3k spend without worrying about manufactured spend.

Others might do it if they have a Plat that hasn't converted to WE.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow
I believe they changed it a few years ago to Group 1 boarding from Priority.
Odd thing is, I've been getting priority access for the last couple years....now I don't know why.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
You mean like I just did, for example? In my case it was because the $750 required spend (vs. 3k for the Plat) fit better with the latest round of cc apps for my wife and myself. Will do the Plat again down the road when I can better handle the 3k spend without worrying about manufactured spend.

Others might do it if they have a Plat that hasn't converted to WE.
The poster I replied to, said the Gold was applied AFTER Card No.2 was converted to WE. Hence my question - why Gold if the prev card already converted to WE?

Understand your concern on the MS part.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pochama
Has anyone gotten a targeted 60k/3k spend offer in the mail lately? I've read a few reports of such recently.
Just got this also. There is no language on it referring to the 18-month rule. I cancelled this card about a year ago. So, is it safe to apply and still get the bonus?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chuckles
Just got this also. There is no language on it referring to the 18-month rule. I cancelled this card about a year ago. So, is it safe to apply and still get the bonus?
I would say so. If you go one the AA web site, a 50k offer pops up, and I didn't see anything on that one either regarding the 18-month rule.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I called to close a couple of old Platinum Mastercard accounts after being approved for a new Platinum Mastercard. I hadn't opened or closed any of those accounts for way more than 18 months.

When I told the CR that I wanted to close those old accounts, she said "Are you getting a signup bonus for the new card, like bonus miles?" I said yes, the 50k offer. Then she said "You should be aware that you may not get that bonus if you have opened or closed the same type of account in the past 18 months." I said I knew that but thought that once the new account was opened, that would no longer be a problem. She said that she wasn't sure exactly how/when they determined that 18 month rule, so that closing the accounts before getting the bonus might invalidate it. So I said "Ok, let's not close the old ones yet", even though I'd like to close them to get rid of the upcoming fees and restart the 18 month clock.

Has anyone else run into this issue, and if so, how did it work out in the end?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
I would say so. If you go one the AA web site, a 50k offer pops up, and I didn't see anything on that one either regarding the 18-month rule.
If I go to the offer on the AA website, I see this:

*50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles can be earned by new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® cardmembers approved through this offer. Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months.

Old Nov 8, 2015, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by stheller
I called to close a couple of old Platinum Mastercard accounts after being approved for a new Platinum Mastercard. I hadn't opened or closed any of those accounts for way more than 18 months.

When I told the CR that I wanted to close those old accounts, she said "Are you getting a signup bonus for the new card, like bonus miles?" I said yes, the 50k offer. Then she said "You should be aware that you may not get that bonus if you have opened or closed the same type of account in the past 18 months." I said I knew that but thought that once the new account was opened, that would no longer be a problem. She said that she wasn't sure exactly how/when they determined that 18 month rule, so that closing the accounts before getting the bonus might invalidate it. So I said "Ok, let's not close the old ones yet", even though I'd like to close them to get rid of the upcoming fees and restart the 18 month clock.

If your new MC's welcome letter states 50K offer you shoul receive 50K bonus no matter what CSR said and no matter what cards you closed as long as you meet minimum spend
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by boris10475
If your new MC's welcome letter states 50K offer you should receive 50K bonus no matter what CSR said and no matter what cards you closed as long as you meet minimum spend
I haven't gotten the welcome letter yet but it should be here in the next few days. Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:20 pm

Gold is different card therefore the closure probably does not matter.
I was giving an example of getting the bonus on #3 (Gold) after #1 (Gold) was closed. i know i am talking about AA Gold and the original OP was talking about platinum, but i believe it has the same rules when it comes to W & WE loophole.

Why not get both Gold and platinum.

Last edited by ninim2200; Nov 8, 2015 at 10:29 pm
Old Nov 9, 2015, 2:13 am
D93

Does downgrading a card reset the 18 month clock?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by stheller

Originally Posted by boris10475
If your new MC's welcome letter states 50K offer you shoul receive 50K bonus no matter what CSR said and no matter what cards you closed as long as you meet minimum spend
IMO stheller need not wait for the letter. I applied for a new Plat MC in August and, after approval via chat, closed an older Plat MC that same day. (Some of us enjoy living dangerously. ) The approval letter & online bonus tracker both confirm the 50K bonus, which I expect to receive this week.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: ihg priority club, hhonors, united,aa
Question

Originally Posted by Pochama
I just got the mailer Friday. Unfortunately, I had applied 10/23 (finally got approved on 11/05 after sending in verification). Any chance they will honor the higher bonus on the card if I ask when I call in to activate it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.