Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:19 am

My Citi business card app got denied, the CSR said to wait for the letter. Is my best chance to HUCA or write to the exec office?

I have been applying for citi cards every 33 days or so. So can I apply 8 days after the denial, or do I have to wait 33 days for the next app? (my last 2 apps were 6/15, 7/15 and then the denial on 8/17).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by bobby21
My Citi business card app got denied, the CSR said to wait for the letter. Is my best chance to HUCA or write to the exec office?

I have been applying for citi cards every 33 days or so. So can I apply 8 days after the denial, or do I have to wait 33 days for the next app? (my last 2 apps were 6/15, 7/15 and then the denial on 8/17).
The "rule" for Citi apps is based on just that - apps, not approvals. You should wait your usual 33 days.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by pachinko799
Data Point

My wife cancelled her last Platinum AA 50k Visa/MC sometime during the month of February this year (3 platinum cards since 2012). She checked the Citi website to see what cards she was pre-approved for and the Platinum AA 30k spend 1k in 3 mo. offer showed up. Instead of applying for that offer she used the personal 50k MC link in the wiki with 18 mo. language and applied for that card instead. We just got the card last week and the letter the card was stuck to had the spend 3k in 3 mo. and get 50k points language on the back of the letter. I will update if she gets the points after meeting the spend.
Thanks, incredibly helpful. I am in the exact same position with the 30k being displayed. I will go for it I think.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:28 am

From the recent pages, it seems after the conversion from world to world elite card, we can apply the citi platinum select card again to gain the bonus. Any data point on below

1. Do we need to apply using the links in wiki or is it from citi account using eligible offer?
2. Is this valid for citi gold card as well?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by funwizard
From the recent pages, it seems after the conversion from world to world elite card, we can apply the citi platinum select card again to gain the bonus. Any data point on below

1. Do we need to apply using the links in wiki or is it from citi account using eligible offer?
1. People have reported here that either the links in the wiki or the links at citi will work in this scenario.
2. At least one person has reported here recently that the same works for gold cards as well.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by MadMadso
Platinum vs Platinum Select seems to mean very little, but I am testing that out. Log on to your account. I am using the mobile webpage so it's harder to see the full name, but you can if you click on menu and then rewards. It will show you the full name of your card. If it says world elite you may be able to apply again.
i can't find anything on the website that says my account is elite, but my card says elite and i emailed a rep and they said my account has been upgraded to elite status and gave me a list of updated features.

is there somewhere else i should be looking? i feel pretty confident that my account is elite status.

i checked the citi prequalification page and it says i'm prequalified for the 30k bonus. did they pull the 50k bonus already??

Last edited by coreylol; Aug 19, 2015 at 2:49 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by coreylol
i can't find anything on the website that says my account is elite, but my card says elite and i emailed a rep and they said my account has been upgraded to elite status and gave me a list of updated features.

is there somewhere else i should be looking? i feel pretty confident that my account is elite status.

i checked the citi prequalification page and it says i'm prequalified for the 30k bonus. did they pull the 50k bonus already??

The official Citi link is for 30K miles, the FT Wiki link is for 50K miles. They both work the same way. Take your pick.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's the card itself that's "World Elite". AA.com's information about your account doesn't ever detail exactly what exact kind of card you have.

You (and everyone) should be looking at (the back of) the card itself, and not on aa.com, to see whether your card is "World Elite" or not.

And, btw, what matters is whether a "World" (non-"Elite") card got replaced with "World Elite". In case you were issued a "World Elite" card from the very beginning (though I don't think anyone has), you might not be able to get a bonus in that case. The "loophole" for getting the bonus again is having a "World" card replaced by a "World Elite" card (by Citi sending you a new card).
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:12 pm

Wonder if there is any way to force the issue as far as the replacement goes. I've got a 'World' card for the last couple months and it hasn't been upgraded yet.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's the card itself that's "World Elite". AA.com's information about your account doesn't ever detail exactly what exact kind of card you have.

You (and everyone) should be looking at (the back of) the card itself, and not on aa.com, to see whether your card is "World Elite" or not.

And, btw, what matters is whether a "World" (non-"Elite") card got replaced with "World Elite". In case you were issued a "World Elite" card from the very beginning (though I don't think anyone has), you might not be able to get a bonus in that case. The "loophole" for getting the bonus again is having a "World" card replaced by a "World Elite" card (by Citi sending you a new card).

thank you!! this is great news. looks like i'm good to go with the 50k application. i just need to finish my min spend on my chase ink plus then i'll apply for the citi again.

should i go ahead and cancel my citi platinum select? i don't need it anymore. i may as well get started on my 18 month waiting period asap.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by funwizard

Originally Posted by ninim2200
Data Point:

family member approved for AA gold in April, card got converted to world elite in june, applied again in august, 1st card still open, instant approval, received letter confirming 25k for $750 spending. hopefully this will help others for future planning.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
thank you!! this is great news. looks like i'm good to go with the 50k application. i just need to finish my min spend on my chase ink plus then i'll apply for the citi again.

should i go ahead and cancel my citi platinum select? i don't need it anymore. i may as well get started on my 18 month waiting period asap.
Are you going to apply almost immediately? If so, I'd wait to get the new card before you cancel the old one. The data points on this are pretty lean, so why risk messing up getting the new sign up bonus just to start your 18 month timeframe one week earlier. Especially since we don't have any idea what the rules will be in 18 months.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrdk
Wonder if there is any way to force the issue as far as the replacement goes. I've got a 'World' card for the last couple months and it hasn't been upgraded yet.
I don't know if they give it to everyone. If I understand correctly, MC World Elite is only given to those who are "more" credit worthy. We don't know how Citi decides these things.

Meanwhile, you can get a clue if they're planning to send it to you soon. When I logged into my Citi online AA account, for the card that ended up being converted to World Elite, at least for a month or so before that it said something like "we're sending you new card soon". I wouldn't have known that meant most likely a World Elite version of my card was coming had I not been reading this forum. So go check your account for your current AA Plat MC card and see if it says anything like that in small print on your main Accounts page.

And if you do happen to call, please be very careful how you ask for it. We certainly don't want to call attention to the fact that we know the World Elite card lets us apply for another card. If you do have to call, whether it's true or not, you might mention one of the benefits listed at:
by saying something along the lines of: "I looked at my card and it says just World on the back. I've heard that if I get a card that says World Elite on the back then I can get [mention one of those benefits]; is there a way I can get this card, since I'd like to have [that benefit]?" Then at least you haven't revealed anything about knowing about this World Elite "loophole" for getting another 50k.

And please don't complain to Citi if they say you're not qualified. Like I said, I think it's tied to a particular level of credit evaluation by the bank, and it may not be available to everyone. If they say you're not qualified and you want to complain, please here to complain rather than complaining to Citi.

But definitely check your account online first, before even thinking about calling.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 19, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:43 pm

Update data point. I seem to remember seeing questions on time frame from app to card receipt. I applied for AA m/c plat evening of 8-12-15, got instant instant approval, received card today, 8-19, by snail mail, activated immediately. 7 days total start to finish. Notice rcv'd. with card identified the 50K miles for 3 K spend. Thanks for the info and link!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't know if they give it to everyone. If I understand correctly, MC World Elite is only given to those who are "more" credit worthy. We don't know how Citi decides these things.

Meanwhile, you can get a clue if they're planning to send it to you soon. When I logged into my Citi online AA account, for the card that ended up being converted to World Elite, at least for a month or so before that it said something like "we're sending you new card soon". I wouldn't have known that meant most likely a World Elite version of my card was coming had I not been reading this forum. So go check your account for your current AA Plat MC card and see if it says anything like that in small print on your main Accounts page.

And if you do happen to call, please be very careful how you ask for it. We certainly don't want to call attention to the fact that we know the World Elite card lets us apply for another card. If you do have to call, whether it's true or not, you might mention one of the benefits listed at:
by saying something along the lines of: "I looked at my card and it says just World on the back. I've heard that if I get a card that says World Elite on the back then I can get [mention one of those benefits]; is there a way I can get this card, since I'd like to have [that benefit]?" Then at least you haven't revealed anything about knowing about this World Elite "loophole" for getting another 50k.

And please don't complain to Citi if they say you're not qualified. Like I said, I think it's tied to a particular level of credit evaluation by the bank, and it may not be available to everyone. If they say you're not qualified and you want to complain, please here to complain rather than complaining to Citi.

But definitely check your account online first, before even thinking about calling.
Yea I'm going to give it a bit more time before I go fishing, will obviously tread carefully and report back if/when I do decide to go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.