Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:16 pm

I have two offers for the Gold AAdvantage card that both say apply by 3/15. They're in my name, to my address. However, neither code works on the Citi site and when I called in, the rep wouldn't process either application because the codes did not work for her.

I'd love to sign up for this offer because it's 50k; much better than the public 25k offer.

Any advice?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why would they? Before the merger, there's competition between Citi and Barclay for (what will both be after the merger) AA credit cards. The moment the merger completes, Barclay will not able to issue AA credit cards, so Citi will not have AA card competition for Barclay any more. So why should that result in better offers? For all we know, it might actually result in worse offers!
Seems to me that Citi's real challenge is not competing with Barclays to give away sign-up bonuses, but competing in the overall arena to get its AA and other cards used on a broader basis.

And on that score, Citi is vastly behind, for example, Chase in almost every regard. Fewer cards that lead to AA miles, fewer clever bonuses and other program facits to drive use of the cards, and an airline partner with very limited award availability for many coveted routes, which is likely to devalue soon.

Getting AA included in the TYP program would be a big step in the right direction, but instead Citi has added a string of off-brand foreign carriers.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:29 am

Hey I had the platinum mastercard which i closed back in september.

Can I do the gold card now and receive the 25k?

Will this affect me getting another platinum in the future or a business card?

Thank you
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
My thinking on higher offers from Citi was that higher offers may be available to lure away those who have the Barclays card so they will use Citi's product instead. I don't think Citi assumes that everyone who they might try to lure away is a churner with both cards. I could be wrong of course. If it wasn't already clear, I wasn't necessarily saying that I was wondering if Citi would make said offer prior to the merger, but rather, after.
Citi has gone many years between higher offers (and the highest I can remember for a non-Exec card is 75k a few years ago). If you sit around waiting for a higher offer, you're likely to actually get fewer miles.

I don't get your logic about "luring away" Barclay people. You can have and keep both cards, so Citi doesn't need peoole to drop the Barclay card. Citi designs their public offers for a much bigger and different audience than you imagine; it's certainly not for people on FT you are up on the latest news about all the different cards.

Citi has reduced signup offers on cards much more often than it has increased them. (The Exec card jumped up to 100k once, but then dropped down to 50k in several steps. Anyone who waited for that card to return to 100k after it dropped to an intermediate step was rudely awakened when instead it dropped even further down to 50k. All for a card with whopping big $$$ unwaived annual fee.)

You can speculate all you want about Citi's intentions if you wish, but IMHO history is a much better predictor than random speculation by an individual.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ekshtatenko
I had the platinum mastercard which i closed back in september.

Can I do the gold card now and receive the 25k?
Yes, if you've never had the Gold card before or if you closed it over 18 months ago.

Originally Posted by ekshtatenko
Will this affect me getting another platinum in the future or a business card?
Not under present rules for most links. (No one can predict future rules or future links.)
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I think chances are good I'll get the bonus. If I don't, it won't bother me much -- I'm way, way plus on all matters AA and Citi. Your situation mostly suggests that you shouldn't close the card.
I just received the approval packet and it states earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, so it's looking good. I'll post again when/if I receive the bonus.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Then you cannot get the 25K bonus on the Gold card listed in the Wiki. The question is what the Platinum card was? If it was a Visa, you should be fine with the Wiki links for a personal Platinum MC.

You may also be able to get a Business card.
I'm on Day 30 of waiting my 65 days, (from my Exec cards) so I have a month or so to wait before I try it.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:56 pm

To follow up on my prior post, I applied through the application at link #6 (50k miles + 2 Admirals Club passes on $3,000 spend). Instant approval, and then the webpage errored. No email confirmation, so I called today to confirm the application approval. Rep confirmed the approval and told me I'd get 50k and the passes if I met the spend threshold. Will follow-up once I have the letter in hand.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Applied 1/9/15 for Citi Plat Select.
Under a 50k bonus with 2000$ spend.

Spent the $2k in the required period (by the second statement).
Noticed that the 50k didnt post.

SM citi.

Can you confirm that I have spent the required $2000 for the 50000 signup mile bonus?

they replied:

We have reviewed your account records and have identified multiple accounts established in your name within the last 18 months with special promotional bonus offers. Therefore, it is our decision to deny your request to match or award the bonus miles.

In the last 18 months. approved for 3 exec cards, and 2 plat selects including the one I messaged about.

How can I get the decision overturned?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by RogerOH

How can I get the decision overturned?
That will be tough, but you can always call in. Don't even bother with the first clerk on the phone; just ask to speak to a supervisor. Did you receive a confirmation letter that says you would get the bonus miles?

What they did to you is what Chase always does. And it sucks that Citi is starting to do it now, as the Wiki mentioned. Citi used to decline you upfront if you weren't eligible for the bonus. Now they approve you, wait for you to spend the money, and THEN say "Thanks, but you're not getting your bonus." THAT is the exact business model that causes so many to hate Chase.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheaptom
That will be tough, but you can always call in. Don't even bother with the first clerk on the phone; just ask to speak to a supervisor. Did you receive a confirmation letter that says you would get the bonus miles?

What they did to you is what Chase always does. And it sucks that Citi is starting to do it now, as the Wiki mentioned. Citi used to decline you upfront if you weren't eligible for the bonus. Now they approve you, wait for you to spend the money, and THEN say "Thanks, but you're not getting your bonus." THAT is the exact business model that causes so many to hate Chase.
I saw the wiki update earlier, but I applied for the card in January. And that 18 month policy seems to have been implemented on Feb 1, 2015?

Anyone have success in getting it overturned in similar situation?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerOH
I saw the wiki update earlier, but I applied for the card in January. And that 18 month policy seems to have been implemented on Feb 1, 2015?
No! There was (12 to) 18 (to 26) month unwritten policy long before Feb 1, 2015. (It was in effect for many years, though with one short exception period a few summers ago.)

All that changed recently was [a] that they put it in writing as 18 months, and [b] that they pinned it down to 18 months (rather than the previous unstated YMMV number of months whose statistical distribution just centered around 18 months), and [c] that on different offers they started saying different things that mattered in the past 18 months (in some cases closing of cards as well as opening of cards, in some cases a wider variety of AA cards while in other cases only that specific flavor of AA card).

Previous to them saying 18 months in writing, they had other wording which actually meant (12 to) 18 (to 26) months, even though that wording said something that if read literally could have meant "if you ever had a Citi AA card before in your life".

Exactly how many months was it between when you applied for your first Citi AA Plat card and when you applied for this second one? Was the first one also an MC or was it a Visa?

And please also answer this question that cheaptom asked:
Did you receive a confirmation letter that says you would get the bonus miles?

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 16, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just received the approval packet and it states earn 50,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months, so it's looking good. I'll post again when/if I receive the bonus.
Awesome! I certainly hope you get the bonus otherwise I have no idea what is going on with Citi. Of course, I am not really sure what is going on given that your experiences fly in the face of the plain language of the application and what has happened to me and others. Very peculiar. After my wife's business app, I'll have her try another Personal Platinum MC. They could be churnable again.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
I have 3 Citi AA cards each with a $95 annual fee. I initially obtained the cards to build credit. I don't want to dump the cards (which could hurt my credit), but I rather replace them with a card that actually gives benefits (such as lounge access). Does Citi allow for these cards to be converted to non-fee cards, and if so, which cards should I convert to?

Is it possible to convert these cards to those without an annual fee and keep them open for credit purposes?

Last edited by mia; Mar 17, 2015 at 11:07 am Reason: Please do not post the same question in more than one forum or thread.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Citi has gone many years between higher offers (and the highest I can remember for a non-Exec card is 75k a few years ago). If you sit around waiting for a higher offer, you're likely to actually get fewer miles.

I don't get your logic about "luring away" Barclay people. You can have and keep both cards, so Citi doesn't need peoole to drop the Barclay card. Citi designs their public offers for a much bigger and different audience than you imagine; it's certainly not for people on FT you are up on the latest news about all the different cards.

Citi has reduced signup offers on cards much more often than it has increased them. (The Exec card jumped up to 100k once, but then dropped down to 50k in several steps. Anyone who waited for that card to return to 100k after it dropped to an intermediate step was rudely awakened when instead it dropped even further down to 50k. All for a card with whopping big $$$ unwaived annual fee.)

You can speculate all you want about Citi's intentions if you wish, but IMHO history is a much better predictor than random speculation by an individual.
If Citi and Barclays card owners can both earn AA miles through their cards, I would think logically that Citi would want people using their card over people using the Barclays card hence potentially higher offerings. At least that would be my thought.

Either way, I appreciate the post and the feedback. Seems like I should just apply and no wonder or worry about what may happen in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.