Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
The personal Plat Visa and the personal Plat MC are considered the same card. To get the Plat MC you would currently have to close your Plat Visa and wait 18 months.
No. While the personal Visa and Personal MC are considered the same, he was approved for the Visa *24* months ago. He DOES NOT have to close the existing Personal card. Unless he is part of the unlucky 1%, there should be no problem getting the Personal MC now.

You can get the AA EXEC card now, if you are prepared to jump thru all the hoops that card requires. If you do, make sure to only use "option 2" in the EXEC thread wiki.
Can you stop shilling the Exec card in this thread? Seriously. Getting an Exec card now in his situation would be just stupid. It would reset the 12-26 month Personal clock and require $5K spend in 37 days for the same miles as a Personal MC spending $3K in 90 days. Plus, he can get the Exec card AFTER the Personal MC but not the other way around.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They key here is not only that he does not have to close the personal card, but that he should not close it.

Closing it will re-start the 18-month clock. If you want to close the old perconal card, wait until AFTER you are approved for the new personal card (since then, restarting the clock is of no consequence).
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:35 pm

rejected by citi business MC AA

just got rejected. have no real business currently, but planning to open one. revenue 0. I have no trouble getting personal cards from Citi usually. Just one data point. apply with care.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They key here is not only that he does not have to close the personal card, but that he should not close it.

Closing it will re-start the 18-month clock. If you want to close the old perconal card, wait until AFTER you are approved for the new personal card (since then, restarting the clock is of no consequence).
Closing personal AA cards does not currently affect the 12-26 month clock.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by shermanx
just got rejected. have no real business currently, but planning to open one. revenue 0. I have no trouble getting personal cards from Citi usually. Just one data point. apply with care.
Have you had an AA Business card before? Any explanation as to why the application was rejected?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 10:52 am

I'm going to resist the urge to say that this is completely and utterly wrong. Instead, let me just ask this: what conceivable basis do you have for this claim?

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Closing personal AA cards does not currently affect the 12-26 month clock.
This has been the rule for quite some time & I've seen no anecdotal evidence, either on FT or elsewhere, that it no longer applies.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
That contradicts both the wiki and several reports on this thread.

Just copied this from the wiki 30 seconds ago:

Personal AA cards: As of August 25, 2013 all linked personal AA cards in this thread can be churned only after Citi decides that you are no longer an existing cardmember. The exact timing of this varies but is usually between 12 and 26 months after your last successful AA personal card approval of any type including AA Executive card(s).
◦Note: You cannot circumvent this rule by applying for a card type different from your previous Citi AA card. Citi treats all AA personal cards the same for this rule. If your last personal AA card was a Visa, the waiting period for your next personal AA card will be the same regardless of whether you apply for a Visa or MC.

Would you be so kind as to point me to a post on this thread of people with a Plat or Gold personal card open being approved for a new personal Plat or Gold of any sort?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Just copied this from the wiki 30 seconds ago:

Personal AA cards: As of August 25, 2013 all linked personal AA cards in this thread can be churned only after Citi decides that you are no longer an existing cardmember. The exact timing of this varies but is usually between 12 and 26 months after your last successful AA personal card approval of any type including AA Executive card(s).
◦Note: You cannot circumvent this rule by applying for a card type different from your previous Citi AA card. Citi treats all AA personal cards the same for this rule. If your last personal AA card was a Visa, the waiting period for your next personal AA card will be the same regardless of whether you apply for a Visa or MC.

Would you be so kind as to point me to a post on this thread of people with a Plat or Gold personal card open being approved for a new personal Plat or Gold of any sort?
From the T/C of the link in the wiki of this thread:

Offer Availability
This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account applied for by 1/31/2015, pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card.

Do you have any data points of Citi not enforcing this provision in the T/Cs?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
I'm going to resist the urge to say that this is completely and utterly wrong. Instead, let me just ask this: what conceivable basis do you have for this claim?
From what it says on the application page:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card opened or closed in the past 18 months.
(Emphasis mine, of course) This says quite clearly that closing the card restarts the clock.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:19 pm

Offer Availability
This Citi® / AAdvantage® card offer is only valid for new applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® account applied for by 1/31/2015, pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card.

Targeted offers seem to be an exception. Here's an earlier data point from post #51 in this thread;

Originally Posted by onthewaytoadventure
Just another data point, in case anyone else is trying to do something similar.

I got the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card with the 50K bonus about a month ago and, around the same time, received a targeted offer for the Gold Card with the 60K bonus in the mail. I just applied online for the Gold card using the targeted invitation code and was approved, even though the 12 - 26 month period has not passed.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Offer Availability

The newer links contain the terms I posted above.

Also, if you'd keep reading the wiki for about two lines past the part that you quoted, you'd see the phrase "You do not need to cancel old personal cards."

The wiki says that you don't need to cancel them. The terms on the new application pages say that opening or closing a card within the last 18 months will prevent you from getting a card (but say nothing about being an existing cardmember preventing you from getting it). So the advice to close a 2-year-old card is pretty much the worst possible advice, since it takes the poster from a state of being able to apply right now to having to wait 18 months.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:04 pm

The newer links contain the terms I posted above.

Also, if you'd keep reading the wiki for about two lines past the part that you quoted, you'd see the phrase "You do not need to cancel old personal cards."

The wiki says that you don't need to cancel them. The terms on the new application pages say that opening or closing a card within the last 18 months will prevent you from getting a card (but say nothing about being an existing cardmember preventing you from getting it). So the advice to close a 2-year-old card is pretty much the worst possible advice, since it takes the poster from a state of being able to apply right now to having to wait 18 months.

Excellent observation. The first link in the wiki has the language excluding existing cardholders but the landing page for the second link does not contain the exclusionary provision. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not only the landing page for the 2nd link, but also the page that you get if you go to citi.com to apply for the card.

It seems that the different links are slowly migrating towards the new language, although maybe it's too soon to say that for sure. They also seem to have clarified the time required (18 months exactly, rather than "recent")

Edit: Another interesting change is that it now says that the pts are not available if you've had a Platinum card open or closed in the past 18 months (rather than just an AAdvantage card). The Gold app page has similar terminology about the Gold specifically. If this language change actually indicates a policy change, you may be able to get the Gold and Plat 8 days apart now, for 75k total pts.

Edit #2: Yup, this works! Applied for and received Plat in late December. Applied for and received automatic approval for Gold 2 seconds ago. Since the wiki claims that Citi will just deny your application if you are not eligible for the bonus, I can only conclude that I will soon be the proud owner of 75k shiny new AA miles.

(interestingly enough, CL for Gold is higher than for Plat)

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:32 pm

Not only the landing page for the 2nd link, but also the page that you get if you go to citi.com to apply for the card.

It seems that the different links are slowly migrating towards the new language, although maybe it's too soon to say that for sure. They also seem to have clarified the time required (18 months exactly, rather than "recent")

Edit: Another interesting change is that it now says that the pts are not available if you've had a Platinum card open or closed in the past 18 months (rather than just an AAdvantage card). The Gold app page has similar terminology about the Gold specifically. If this language change actually indicates a policy change, you may be able to get the Gold and Plat 8 days apart now, for 75k total pts.

Edit #2: Yup, this works! Applied for and received Plat in late December. Applied for and received automatic approval for Gold 2 seconds ago. Since the wiki claims that Citi will just deny your application if you are not eligible for the bonus, I can only conclude that I will soon be the proud owner of 75k shiny new AA miles.

(interestingly enough, CL for Gold is higher than for Plat)
How long had it been before applying for the Platinum card in Dec that you opened/closed another Aa card?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 2:33 pm

This [app link] says quite clearly that closing the card restarts the clock.
That's one app. However, we do not have any firm evidence that there is a master clock reset by card/account closure; instead, what we have are several links (new, and thus depressing) for offers with more restrictive terms. But there remain other offers without those restrictions.

I've gone ahead & overhauled the wiki to
  • distinguish between older & new, more restrictive offers
  • remove duplicates
  • add important restrictive terms where applicable
  • revise the general churning advice

Like Jules in Pulp Fiction, we're in something of a transitional period right now. The old rules appear to apply if you use the few remaining legacy links.

Note also that there are important differences between new personal & business offers. The latter focus only on whether you are an existing cardholder & do not include clock-reset language for previous account closure.

Comments welcome. And yeah, it's a community wiki, so have at it -- but please tell us what changes you're making.

This has been a test of the Emergency Churning System. Had this been an actual emergency, you'd be experiencing massive FFM withdrawal.

Last edited by beltway; Jan 10, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.