Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
I applied twice for biz and twice for personal in the same night. (dumb experiment). One biz was approved and the normal "declined for too many duplicate applications" rejections came for the other 3.

Should I try again in 9 days for a personal ?

I figure if the 60-day rule now applies to me I'd just be extending that by 9 more days and wouldn't lose a hard inquiry.
Unfortunately, you probably need to wait 60 (65) days to apply for ANY Citi card. When you run up against one of the 'too many applications' hard rules, you need to start clean. This happened to me a year-and-a-half ago. If you want to go for a business card again you need to wait 90 (95) days.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I don't think that's 100% accurate. I think that only applies to targeted offers created after you got the card through public offer.

The problem is that many target offers are create weeks or even a month or two before you actually get them, and thus they may have been created based on you not having the card, and are no longer valid if you go the card through a public offer in the meantime.

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell exactly when a targeted offer was created. If it's one of those offers that states your current miles and how many miles you could have in total if you added the miles from that offer, then it will usually have a date for your miles. But other offers which don't mention your current miles often don't have a date, and so it can be tricky if you get a targeted offer within a month or two after applying for a public offer to figure out if the targeted offer was generated before or after you applied for the public offer.
What are you basing this theory on? I have never received a targeted offer from Citi so my experience is wholly that of others reported here. However, your explanation does not appear to jibe with . . .

Originally Posted by onthewaytoadventure
Just another data point, in case anyone else is trying to do something similar.

I got the Citi AAdvantage Platinum card with the 50K bonus about a month ago and, around the same time, received a targeted offer for the Gold Card with the 60K bonus in the mail. I just applied online for the Gold card using the targeted invitation code and was approved, even though the 12 - 26 month period has not passed.
Where the application for the 50K Personal card seems to have come between creation of the 60K Gold offer and the actual (successful) application for same. Or are you saying that only affects getting an 'identical' card, like applying for a Gold card and then applying for a targeted Gold card?
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
What are you basing this theory on? I have never received a targeted offer from Citi so my experience is wholly that of others reported here.
Same with me, but I don't remember ever reading a post of someone applying thru a targeted offer and being declined for already having the card. Then again, my memory isn't what it used to be...
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:08 pm
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
Called in again to double-confirm that both levels of previous biz accounts were closed. Talking with the rep some I got her to explain to me that there is a period of time needed for the closed accounts to "roll off" in the system. Sounded believable enough to me until I asked her how long she thought I needed to wait before applying again and she said "one week."
After you have double-confirmed with the rep, do you still see "This account has been converted to a new number or was closed at your request. To access information related to your new account, register the new number and access it with your same user ID and password. If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Service Center."?

I have called in earlier to close my accounts, but I still see
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select card - XXXX
Current Balance: $0.00
Available Credit Line: $7,000.00
Last Statement Balance: $0.00
Minimum Amount Due on 12/29/2014: $0.00
Next Statement Date: 01/02/2015

Even though I closed this credit card about a year ago and the business account several months ago, and I have no other Citi business credit cards, there is still a Next Statement Date...
Old Dec 21, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Are World Elite and Platinum Select different cards?

My wife got the AAvantage World Elite Platinum card on 4/14. Is the AAdvantage Platinum Select a different card she can apply for? Thanks..
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:42 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Gold and Platinum are Citi marketing designations. "World" and "World Elite" are MasterCard benefit levels. A bank may issue the same product in World and World Elite versions, but they are still the same product for application and bonus purposes.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mia
Gold and Platinum are Citi marketing designations. "World" and "World Elite" are MasterCard benefit levels. A bank may issue the same product in World and World Elite versions, but they are still the same product for application and bonus purposes.
In other words, having just gotten a personal AA Plat card, she cannot apply for another type of personal AA Plat card for a long time, according to the current application rules.

She can apply for an AA EXEC card, provided she uses the correct link in the EXEC thread wiki, known as "option 2". She cannot use the current official EXEC app on the Citi and AA sites.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-first-69.html

She can also apply for a Citi AA business card, and the Barclays US Air card, with a current sign up bonus of 50K US miles, which sometime in 2015 will become AA miles.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:35 pm

Citi AAdvantage Mastercards

I recently was denied the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard because I already have a Citi AA Mastercard. Is this common?
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Many of us have 5 or More AA Ex cards...

Citi is pretty free with their cards...
Old Dec 28, 2014, 3:28 am
In memoriam

What does the denial letter you got say was the reason? Post that reason and perhaps more useful info for you will be possible.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
It depends a lot on when you got your previous card.
Start by readin the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-benefits.html
Old Dec 28, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by onthego15
It depends a lot on when you got your previous card.
Start by readin the wiki here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-benefits.html

+1
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

MattyBoll's question has been appended to the thread helpfully linked by onthego15.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
Many of us have 5 or More AA Ex cards...

Citi is pretty free with their cards...
Plat and EXEC cards have been apples and oranges when it came to application rules.

But now sadly, the new official Citi links for the AA EXEC, and both of the HHonors cards, do not allow churning anymore. I have gotten both an EXEC card, and a HH Res card, in the past few weeks. But only by using outdated links that Citi has left laying around. The "pretty free" days seem to be over; at least for now.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 1:10 pm

Approved for my platinum card about 50 days ago, am planning to apply for my targeted gold offer of 60k points in about 2 weeks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.