Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by justinh20
I meant that I've been waiting to receive a targeted offer but haven't yet so I'm just going to apply for the public offer unless someone knows about any upcoming offers I should wait for
I understood. I am just saying that there is no reason to wait for a targeted offer because they do no follow the normal 12-26 month rule. If you apply for the 50K Personal card and get it, you can still apply for a targeted offer if you get one.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I understood. I am just saying that there is no reason to wait for a targeted offer because they do no follow the normal 12-26 month rule. If you apply for the 50K Personal card and get it, you can still apply for a targeted offer if you get one.
Gotcha, thanks. I did apply for the Citi AA Platinum public offer earlier and got approved.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:58 pm

Was it automatic approval for the second card or did you call in or just have to wait a few days?
Both the public Platinum and targeted Gold cards were approved instantly online in my case, so no follow up call needed.

For whatever context it's worth (maybe nothing), I don't have that many credit cards (I think 8 total counting these two), though I have applied and been approved for several new ones in recent months from various providers as I've started to pay more attention to all of this. I'm finding it's kind of addicting, once you start following it...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm considering applying for a Citi card (or maybe more than 1). I have some questions about the benefits:

1. The 1-day passes that you get with the plat AA cards don't require you to be flying AA, right? I couldn't find anything in the T&C that had any airline requirements (unlike the lounge access with the Prestige) but I want to be sure.

2. How does price rewind work? The web page says "Shop now. We’ll search for a lower price after you buy." Do they really give you statement credits for price drops without you having to ask for them? How well does this work?

3. Do the AA Plat MC and the AA Plat World MC count as different product for the purposes of churning (ie, can I get both and get 100k miles without having to wait 18 months)

4. (More of a local question) In SFO, in Terminal 2, there is a lounge airside, by security. You have to walk right by it as you go airside -> landside (it would be on your right if you are going in that direction). Is that an AA lounge? I never fly AA but I fly VX from SFO all the time. Being able to use that lounge would be very convenient -- possibly worth getting the Exec card.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
We are not talking about AA Executive cards.

It is normal for Citi AA Personal cards to not show the bonus on the mailings after approval. Between my wife and I we have gotten about 12-13 in the last 3.5 years and none have stated the bonus in the mailings. That is why a lot of people ask about the bonus when they call to activate because there is no indication in the mailings.

The Citi Executive card and the Citi HHonors cards are DIFFERENT CARDS with DIFFERENT THREADS. They do things differently. They have different application rules, different language in the ToCs, and are different entities when pulling Credit Reports. Unless you have received an AA Platinum Visa card that listed the bonus in the mailings or you can point to some indicator in the current Personal AA links that things have changed, then this is normal for the card that worldwidetraveler applied for.
I know they are different cards with different rules, but I didn't realize the approval letters have never included the bonus offer. I haven't kept the approval letters from my 7 or 8 Plats, so I can't check on it. Since you seem so sure that's correct, I'm going to take your word for it. I'll go back and delete my apparently incorrect post.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
I know they are different cards with different rules, but I didn't realize the approval letters have never included the bonus offer. I haven't kept the approval letters from my 7 or 8 Plats, so I can't check on it. Since you seem so sure that's correct, I'm going to take your word for it. I'll go back and delete my apparently incorrect post.
The reason I know is that I recently started seeing the bonus listed on HHonors cards and I was surprised because I did not ever recall seeing that on mailings from Citi. I have not applied for an Exec cards. I just got another AA Business card in the mail today along with the separate welcome mailing and neither mentions the bonus.

I would have to look back through old threads to verify but I know it is one of the things people always asked about (other than not seeing it on the application if there is no landing page) and it was recommended that people ask when activating.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm considering applying for a Citi card (or maybe more than 1). I have some questions about the benefits:
1. The passes I received in the past and those I got from the "spend $XXX in 3 months at XXXX types of shops" over the Summer all state on the back: "'Pass Holder' must be at least 18 years of age and hold a same-day ticket for airline travel that allows clearance through security for flight departure and access to the Admirals Club Lounge.Up to three children under 18 years of age admitted for free when accompanied with the adult 'Pass Holder.'"

2. Not sure, I got an email about something I bought but did not pay much attention. I probably should have.

3. No. They are all Personal cards. See the Wiki, FAQ #1. Unlike Chase, Citi does not restrict churning by the specifics of the card but in more general terms.

4. No idea.

Last edited by IkeEsq; Dec 18, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 18, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Re: churning:

Does that mean that you can't get both Plat and Exec as well (since both are personal). The terms of the Exec say that you are only excluded if you have opened or closed an Exec card in the past 18 mo. Is that not accurate?

(edit: you also may want to fix the quoting in your post.)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Re: churning:

Does that mean that you can't get both Plat and Exec as well (since both are personal). The terms of the Exec say that you are only excluded if you have opened or closed an Exec card in the past 18 mo. Is that not accurate?

(edit: you also may want to fix the quoting in your post.)
You can get AA Personal (non-Executive) followed 7+ days later by an Executive card but not the other way around. Check out the Executive Thread for more about churning them. Some applications allow you to churn repeatedly, others require you to wait 18 months.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's good because I just applied for the non-exec. Once I use one of those passes I'll decide if I want to pay $450 for full-time lounge access
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am just saying that there is no reason to wait for a targeted offer because they do no follow the normal 12-26 month rule. If you apply for the 50K Personal card and get it, you can still apply for a targeted offer if you get one.
I don't think that's 100% accurate. I think that only applies to targeted offers created after you got the card through public offer.

The problem is that many target offers are create weeks or even a month or two before you actually get them, and thus they may have been created based on you not having the card, and are no longer valid if you go the card through a public offer in the meantime.

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to tell exactly when a targeted offer was created. If it's one of those offers that states your current miles and how many miles you could have in total if you added the miles from that offer, then it will usually have a date for your miles. But other offers which don't mention your current miles often don't have a date, and so it can be tricky if you get a targeted offer within a month or two after applying for a public offer to figure out if the targeted offer was generated before or after you applied for the public offer.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: Lotz
I applied twice for biz and twice for personal in the same night. (dumb experiment). One biz was approved and the normal "declined for too many duplicate applications" rejections came for the other 3.

Should I try again in 9 days for a personal ?

I figure if the 60-day rule now applies to me I'd just be extending that by 9 more days and wouldn't lose a hard inquiry.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 4:46 pm

Were the denials immediate or after a few days of being under review?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:21 pm

If the problem is that your old business card master account or card account is still open, you can still get the last four digits online and call to verify that the accounts are closed. If the problem is that Citi decided that you fall into the 'can't churn business cards' group, then I think you are out of luck. I do not recall anyone ever saying they got off of that 'list' but then I doubt many people kept trying after being denied. Perhaps this is another 18 month-type rule?
Called in again to double-confirm that both levels of previous biz accounts were closed. Talking with the rep some I got her to explain to me that there is a period of time needed for the closed accounts to "roll off" in the system. Sounded believable enough to me until I asked her how long she thought I needed to wait before applying again and she said "one week."
Old Dec 19, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: Lotz
Were the denials immediate or after a few days of being under review?
Immediate. (Followed by letters a week later).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.