Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Closed Thread

Old Jan 7, 15, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
My understanding is that the issue here is that both the plat and the exec count as a Citi/AAdvantage card, but only the plat contains the following in the terms:

This CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ card offer is only valid for new applicants for a CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ account made pursuant to this offer and is not available to existing cardmembers or recent applicants for a CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ credit card.

The Exec contains a different limitation instead:

50,000 American Airlines AAdvantageŽbonus miles can be earned by new CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Executive cardmembers approved through this offer. Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantageŽbonus miles after making $5,000 in purchases in the first 3 months of cardmembership. American Airlines AAdvantageŽ bonus miles are not available if you have had a CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ Executive opened or closed in the past 18 months.

So while ANY previous Citi/AA card (plat or exec) within the timeframe prevents you from getting a new plat, only a previous exec prevents you from getting a new exec.
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
I thought they never specified, and it was a general rule to wait 12-26 months. This clearly stated the 18.
I think in both cases we are talking about the new apps Citi has recently redone. For non-EXEC cards, they didn't previously say anything about 18 months, and approval varied between 12 and 22+ months. And the option 2 in the EXEC wiki doesn't have the 18 month language either, which is why we are able to continue churning it.

The new apps Citi has recently put up for both cards as their official apps specify no churning within 18 months. Its obviously very important to pick your Citi app links carefully now.
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:07 pm

I can't find any mention of the Admiral's Club passes for any of the Business cards listed in the wiki. Have they removed that wording?
Old Jan 8, 15, 5:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
I can't find any mention of the Admiral's Club passes for any of the Business cards . . .
You're right.
I just checked the citicards site and didn't see the passes included with the AA cards. They must have just dropped the passes, since I applied for a MC a wk or so ago and (I hope) the passes were included.
Old Jan 8, 15, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superorb View Post
I can't find any mention of the Admiral's Club passes for any of the Business cards listed in the wiki. Have they removed that wording?
I applied for an AA business card (form a link in the wiki in the previous thread) last February, and it didn't come with AC passes then either.

Were AC passes ever included in business card offers, or only in personal card offers?
Old Jan 8, 15, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Were AC passes ever included in business card offers
Yes, according to the wiki.

The wiki is now out of date (the linked offers have had the passes removed)
Old Jan 8, 15, 10:07 pm

I applied for a personal (not business) card a week or so ago and I believe it included passes (they haven't come yet). But they're no longer listed as a feature for new cards on the citi web site. no maybe no passes now for anyone. Guess they're gone, for now anyway.
Old Jan 8, 15, 10:37 pm

After clicking the first 50k link, I see it now says 50k points after only $2k spend in 3 months. Wiki may need updating.
Old Jan 9, 15, 11:54 am
jk2

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa View Post
After clicking the first 50k link, I see it now says 50k points after only $2k spend in 3 months. Wiki may need updating.
and no more AA club passes with any application.
Old Jan 9, 15, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
I would like an advice, as reading the recently added language (18 month rule) things seems to be changing:
My previous AA applications are
1) Personal Visa Platinum opened Jan 2013 (24 months ago), still opened
2) Business Visa opened Sep 2013 (16 months ago), closed 3 months ago

Now thinking if I can get both the personal and business current platinum master cards and in what order. I am thinking first ready to apply for the personal and in 65 days for the business. What do you think? TIA
Old Jan 9, 15, 12:55 pm

As long as someone's updating the wiki, they may also want to note that cards, at least mine, takes longer than 2-3 days to get. My card looks like it will be about 2 weeks between application/approval and arrival.
Old Jan 9, 15, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat View Post
I would like an advice, as reading the recently added language (18 month rule) things seems to be changing:

Now thinking if I can get both the personal and business current platinum master cards and in what order. I am thinking first ready to apply for the personal and in 65 days for the business. What do you think? TIA
The personal Plat Visa and the personal Plat MC are considered the same card. To get the Plat MC you would currently have to close your Plat Visa and wait 18 months.

You can get the AA EXEC card now, if you are prepared to jump thru all the hoops that card requires. If you do, make sure to only use "option 2" in the EXEC thread wiki.
Old Jan 9, 15, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge View Post
To get the Plat MC you would currently have to close your Plat Visa and wait 18 months.
That contradicts both the wiki and several reports on this thread.
Old Jan 9, 15, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jlove View Post
As long as someone's updating the wiki, they may also want to note that cards, at least mine, takes longer than 2-3 days to get. My card looks like it will be about 2 weeks between application/approval and arrival.
It's only the EXEC card that arrives in 2 or 3 days, probably due to the extra minimum spend, and the $450 fee. The Plat cards typically do take longer to arrive.
Old Jan 9, 15, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
and no more AA club passes with any application.
My wife just got a non-targeted mailer for 50K + 2 passes. I've added it to the top of the list in the wiki, along with the offer "eligibility" language.

Last edited by st1575; Jan 9, 15 at 4:52 pm
Old Jan 9, 15, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat View Post

I think you should apply for the Business Card first. If you have had multiple business cards approved in the past, you should be fine, otherwise it is a YMMV situation as to whether or not you can get additional Business cards.

Wait a week (8+ days) from the Business application and apply for the Personal card.

You are allowed two Citi applications in 60 (65) days. I would wait the extra week on the personal card just because every extra day makes it that much more likely you will be considered a first-time card member again.

AFAIK, there has not been a change in the Business card apps in the last month that would prevent you from getting the Business card in less than 18 months but it could change at any time as the Exec and HHonors cards did.

Search this Thread