Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MattyBoll
I recently was denied the Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard because I already have a Citi AA Mastercard. Is this common?
It may be common for people to be told that as a reason. However, that hasn't actually been a real reason for many years. (Basically, Citi CSRs & denial letters are almost entirely useless as sources of good information.)

As others have implied, the reason(s) likely have far more to do with
  • your number of applications in the relevant 8- and 60-day periods
  • your total credit line with Citi
  • the length of time since your last successful application for a personal AA card

If you obtained your AA MasterCard (or other, more recent personal AA card) less than 18 months earlier, odds are that's the issue.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:49 am

I booked rewards flights, paid the fees with AMEX PRG. It was my understanding that the 10% miles rebate should have worked regardless of card used for the fees, is that correct? Who do I contact about the missing rebate?

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I booked rewards flights, paid the fees with AMEX PRG. It was my understanding that the 10% miles rebate should have worked regardless of card used for the fees, is that correct? Who do I contact about the missing rebate?
Yes, one should receive the rebate regardless of card used to pay fees, assuming one holds a rebate-eligible card in the first place.

However, Amex PRG is not such a card AFAIK. It's not on the list in FAQ #7 in the wiki, so either a) you're out of luck or b) the wiki needs updating.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked rewards flights, paid the fees with AMEX PRG. It was my understanding that the 10% miles rebate should have worked regardless of card used for the fees, is that correct?
Yes, as long as you also have still open a Citi AA card that enables the 10% rebate.
Who do I contact about the missing rebate?
What do you mean "missing"? It takes a while to appear.

Please go to this thread for more details about how the 10% rebate works:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edemption.html (in the AA forum)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Yes, as long as you also have still open a Citi AA card that enables the 10% rebate.

What do you mean "missing"? It takes a while to appear.

Please go to this thread for more details about how the 10% rebate works:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edemption.html (in the AA forum)
Thanks, missed that thread. By missing I mean tickets booked over 4 months ago which haven't been rebated. I'll continue the discussion in the above thread.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:28 pm

i'm waiting for the 75K offer to come back on these cards. When is that going to happen?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by rocklline
i'm waiting for the 75K offer to come back on these cards. When is that going to happen?
See wiki FAQ #16.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It may not be a coincidence that the largest Citi AA bonuses, and the Barclays US bonus, are all currently 50,000 miles. American may be capping the bonuses to prevent the two banks from going after each other before Dividend Miles is folded into AAdvantage. We might not see anything different until afterwards.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:50 am

I applied and was approved for my first Citi AA Biz card in August. I decided to experiment and apply for a new Citi AA Biz card without closing the original card. I applied January 1st and received a pending decision. I decided to call the application line this morning and was rejected for the card. The reason for the rejection was due to the fact I already have a Citi AA Biz card.

I wonder if I didn't call they would've approved me. Probably not, because it still would've been a customer service rep reviewing the application.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by changger1
I applied and was approved for my first Citi AA Biz card in August. I decided to experiment and apply for a new Citi AA Biz card without closing the original card. I applied January 1st and received a pending decision. I decided to call the application line this morning and was rejected for the card. The reason for the rejection was due to the fact I already have a Citi AA Biz card.

I wonder if I didn't call they would've approved me. Probably not, because it still would've been a customer service rep reviewing the application.
No. You must cancel the old business card to get a new one. Some claim you must also close the "Master Account" number as well although I've churned without doing that.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:01 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
Amateur question but if I have the existing Citi AA VISA card if I apply for the new MasterCard edition will it be treated as a net new card where I am eligible for the sign up bonus?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by bdohmen
Amateur question but if I have the existing Citi AA VISA card if I apply for the new MasterCard edition will it be treated as a net new card where I am eligible for the sign up bonus?
Look at the wiki
Note: Citi treats all AA personal cards the same for this rule. Unlike Chase, different card types, like AmEx, MC, Visa, Executive, etc. are all considered Personal cards and reset the existing-cardmember clock.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by justinh20
Look at the wiki
Ugh. The language in the wiki used to be much more emphatic, but was inexplicably toned down by someone recently. I've restored the prior language:
  • Note: You cannot circumvent this rule by applying for a card type different from your previous Citi AA card. Citi treats all AA personal cards the same for this rule. If your last personal AA card was a Visa, the waiting period for your next personal AA card will be the same regardless of whether you apply for a Visa or MC.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Robl
No. You must cancel the old business card to get a new one.
You cannot take your personal experience alone and extrapolate it to everyone else.

There have been people who have been able to apply for a second business card without cancelling the first one. The fact you couldn't doesn't mean that no one else could.

Originally Posted by Robl
Some claim you must also close the "Master Account" number as well although I've churned without doing that.
Are you sure Citi didn't close your Master Account without you asking for it? Ie, did you verify that your new card account is linked to the exact same Master Account number that your previous card account was linked to? If not, how can you know that your Master Account wasn't closed?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:47 pm

Business cards

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Note, not everyone can churn Business cards. For reasons unknown, some people can't churn them at all and others need to close both accounts first. Meanwhile, I just got my third business card in less than 7 months with several open. Why? I don't know.
For a data point, are all three still open? Or did you close each right after you did the spend? Do you have an on-line access to view your activity? ( one poster thought they could churn the business because they never signed up for the on-line access.). Thanks for your insight!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.