Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Closed Thread

Old Mar 17, 15, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by safra1 View Post
Is it possible to convert these cards to those without an annual fee and keep them open for credit purposes?
You can call and ask, but generally, they will ask you to close account #1 and then open a new account #2 without the AF. It's a new card and everything, but you'll still have the same amount of credit as you always did. I asked the same thing that you mentioned, and they always told me that they cannot "convert" cards, but they can issue me a new one.
Old Mar 17, 15, 11:10 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
...always told me that they cannot "convert" cards, but they can issue me a new one.
I believe we have some reports of AAdvantage Platinum or Gold converted to the Bronze card which earns 1 mile per $2 spent, but I think most people here would prefer to cancel and apply for another card later with less risk of bumping up against the maximum amount of credit that Citi will extend.
Old Mar 17, 15, 11:44 am

wiki language

Hey folks, now that the Exec links for churning may be dead, you might see a few more of us over here

The Wiki is really well done. However, I have one question on the last example:

Day 78 plus 18 Months 50K Personal Platinum Mastercard - As long as you have not closed the Day 9 card (Restarts 18 month clock, etc.)

shouldn't it actually start:

Day 9 plus 18 months (as long as still open; otherwise 18 months from close date)... ?

I thought it was clear the Exec and Platinum are separate animals outside of the general 8/65 time period recomendations between 2nd and 3rd application. The way it is written, it seems to treat the Exec card applied for on Day 78 as resetting the 18 month clock on the Platinum.

If I'm wrong, then there are other places in the Wiki that give the impression that Platinum and Executives are separate.
Old Mar 17, 15, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by teammjs View Post
I thought it was clear the Exec and Platinum are separate animals outside of the general 8/65 time period recomendations between 2nd and 3rd application. The way it is written, it seems to treat the Exec card applied for on Day 78 as resetting the 18 month clock on the Platinum.

If I'm wrong, then there are other places in the Wiki that give the impression that Platinum and Executives are separate.
That's a relatively new change, and it depends which link you use to apply. The newer links seem to all restrict you if you've had an AA Plat in the past 18 months, but I think that there are still some older (working) ones kicking around that restrict you if you've had any AA card.

So in short, there is no single set of rules for the product as a whole. There are different rules for each application. They spell it out in the application though, so, as long as you read carefully, you should be fine.
Old Mar 17, 15, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher View Post
If Citi and Barclays card owners can both earn AA miles through their cards, I would think logically that Citi would want people using their card over people using the Barclays card hence potentially higher offerings. At least that would be my thought.
There's precedent for that. Until recently, there was a grandfathered BofA card for US Airways (not available for new apps), along with the available-for-new-apps Barclay card for US Airways. But the offers from Barclay were no higher than of other banks (for other airlines) which didn't have a grandfathered competitor.

All Citi has to is wait. Barclay owners will drop off (many cancelling after they get another annual fee, if Barclay doesn't start copying Citi's habit of giving retention bonuses to everyone, whether alive or undead), and no one who cancels a Barclay AA card will ever be able to apply for another, while they'll be able to apply for a Citi AA card. Thus Citi knows that they will eventually get more and more of those Barclay customers, without any special carrots.

And the other thing is numbers. US Airways had way fewer FFP members than AA. So I would assume that Barclays will have way fewer US cards (that will turn into AA cards) at the moment of merger than Citi has AA cards. So why does Citi need to worry about a much smaller competitor (to the point of jacking up signup bonuses)?
Old Mar 17, 15, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today I received my Citi AA Plat Select World MasterCard. I have two of those now, and a Select World Elite MasterCard. What's the difference, if any?

The card closes on April 14, so it will be a while before I know for sure if I get the bonus, although it's mentioned on the attached sheet.
Old Mar 17, 15, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN View Post
Today I received my Citi AA Plat Select World MasterCard. I have two of those now, and a Select World Elite MasterCard. What's the difference, if any?
World Elite has more benefits. It's like Visa Signature vs plain old Visa, but less extreme (because World already has most of the benefits)

http://www.mastercard.us/credit-card-world-elite.html

I called about the private jet service. It was way more than I thought it would be (ie, I had to ask, and I couldn't afford it).
Old Mar 17, 15, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t View Post
Additionally, this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Card cardmembers who apply pursuant to this offer for an account.

was the only language I see that might have impacted the application. From link 5. If there is a way around this I would love to find it
data point

denial letter apparently matches the CSR story that biz must be 18 months from last closing to be eligible for new bonus too

This specific offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate that you previously had a account with us
Old Mar 17, 15, 9:40 pm

data point

denial letter apparently matches the CSR story that biz must be 18 months from last closing to be eligible for new bonus too

This specific offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness/AAdvantage cardmembers. Our records indicate that you previously had a account with us
g8trgr8t, I read back your posts, but I didn't see if the biz card you had previously was the same kind (VISA, MasterCard, etc) as the one you applied for or a different kind?

Thanks
Old Mar 18, 15, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by IkeEsq View Post
Then you cannot get the 25K bonus on the Gold card listed in the Wiki. The question is what the Platinum card was? If it was a Visa, you should be fine with the Wiki links for a personal Platinum MC.

You may also be able to get a Business card.
Upon further review... I don't believe I ever had a Platinum card. Definitely gold. I had an old Citi Amex that I confused with platinum. So it seems that since I never had a platinum, I might be eligible. Once my 65 days are up. tick tick

Last edited by cheaptom; Mar 18, 15 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
Upon further review... I don't believe I ever had a Platinum card. Definitely gold. I had an old Citi Amex that I confused with platinum. So it seems that since I never had a platinum, I might be eligible. Once my 65 days are up. tick tick
Excellent. Yeah, neither AmEx nor Visa should affect your chances at a Platinum MC.
Old Mar 18, 15, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by adlibitum View Post
g8trgr8t, I read back your posts, but I didn't see if the biz card you had previously was the same kind (VISA, MasterCard, etc) as the one you applied for or a different kind?

Thanks
same. I am just wondering if this is a real rule or if I am the only one bumping up against it.
Old Mar 18, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
same. I am just wondering if this is a real rule or if I am the only one bumping up against it.
As emphasized many times in this thread (and also mentioned in the wiki), business cards are YMMV. If you are denied, they will give you some reason why you are being denied, but this reason will not be applied to others.
Old Mar 18, 15, 7:17 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
Just approved by email for business MC (8a) after being denied for business visa last time around.
Email said it would arrive within 2 weeks? Does it generally end up taking that long?
Old Mar 18, 15, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
As emphasized many times in this thread (and also mentioned in the wiki), business cards are YMMV. If you are denied, they will give you some reason why you are being denied, but this reason will not be applied to others.
that may have been the case before but I think that has changed

Search this Thread