Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Since when have these cards become churnable again? I'm a bit confused ?
Huh? I'm even more confused by your question!

Which cards???

Except for the business card (and then only for some people), all of these cards have always been churnable. It's just that the rules and the churning "clocks" change from time to time. (And you have to know the rules and the churning "clocks" to churn successfully.)

Ie, being able to apply for the same card every 2 years is still "churnable". It may not be as "highly" or "frequently" churnable as being able to apply for it once a month, but it's still churnable if you can repeat it on some schedule.

So I don't understand what question you're actually asking.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Congrtulations! ^

Any thoughts on why you used link #3 instead of #1, #2, #4 or #6?
I used #3 because of recent data points from other posters indicating that my AA Exec would not be an issue and the fact that they had closed other AA CC's within the last 12 months. Also link #3 specifically called out the AA MC as the only previous AA CC that would get you denied while the other links were more vague. Take a little time and look through the posts from the beginning this year. A lot of useful info.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sddjd
Quick question regarding the 8 day rule- I was approved for a pers Plat on 1/21 (via online chat with Citi, etc). However, I received the confirming materials via email on 1/26. Does this mean I must wait until 1/26+8 to apply for the Biz Card or should the approval date in their system show 1/21?
It's not counted from either the approval or the receipt date. It's counted from the application date. You didn't make clear whether you also applied on 1/21 or earlier.

Having said that, 8 days is minimal padding (to an official "1 week") at a bank (Citi) that is notorious for not counting days right. So unless you have a pressing to do it on the earliest day possible, why rush it? You won't be able to do a third Citi app until 65 days from your first one, whether you do your second one at 8, or 15, or 30, or 45 days from your first one. And your clock on the minimum spend of the each card will start from approval, so the closer in time you apply for the second card, the less time you will have to do both minimum spends. Those are all good reasons to wait longer than the minimum of 8 days; what's your pressing reason to apply for the second card just as soon as you can?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I would think that if you never had a Business card then Link #5 is the way to go. $2000 spend rather than $3000. Churnability only really matters on second and successive applications. Personal cards should have no effect on being able to get Business cards under any of the links.

Likewise, the Business card should have no effect on the Exec application.
Thanks for the advice and I now understand the reason I don't nee Link 1, however after looking over the Exec thread am I understanding this correctly....I can get the PersonalPlat using new link #3 even though I've recently held the Exec?? If true then I should be able to get the PersonalPlat (#3) 8 days later apply for the Exec then 65 days the PlatBusiness Link #5....Right?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? I'm even more confused by your question!

Which cards???

Except for the business card (and then only for some people), all of these cards have always been churnable. It's just that the rules and the churning "clocks" change from time to time. (And you have to know the rules and the churning "clocks" to churn successfully.)

Ie, being able to apply for the same card every 2 years is still "churnable". It may not be as "highly" or "frequently" churnable as being able to apply for it once a month, but it's still churnable if you can repeat it on some schedule.

So I don't understand what question you're actually asking.

I guess I should rephrase,
I knew that for a while, this card was "highly" frequently churnable, then ever since about several years ago, they started really enforcing the (1 per 18 months rule
Now in looking at the wiki,it looks like the rules have changed again to allow more frequent churning of this card, no? (sort of like the exec card is now). If so, when did the churning rules/clock change? And what are they now? (same as on exec?)

Last edited by rgAAFT; Jan 29, 2015 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:55 am
Formerly known as FTRox87

Programs: AA/US 1M, AS, BA, CX, EK, EY, JL, KE, LH, NH, OS, QF, QR, TG, UA/CO | *$G
anyone know what the wait time (if any) between Citi apps is if you get denied for a CitiBiz (due to insufficient biz revenue)? this was the first CitiBiz app if it matters, never had the card before so figured I might try app'ing for it. havent called recon, should I or it doesnt matter for biz accts?

can you apply again after the general guideline of 8 days or gotta wait something like 30 days etc?

I'm thinking of now app'ing for the Exec or maybe the Gold. unless the Gold counts as a personal card that also works on the ~18 month card? I've had CitiAA Plat Visa & AMEX Select before but clock was obv reset for those with the Exec.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:53 am

Just cancelled my exec world elite card opened in March 2014 before af hit. Do I have to wait another 8 months now before applying for another personal card?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Leotis
Just cancelled my exec world elite card opened in March 2014 before af hit. Do I have to wait another 8 months now before applying for another personal card?
Well you don't mention if you have applied for any other Citi cards of any type since March 2014. If not, you can apply for another EXEC today, and another one after that eight+ days later. The only wait time required for an EXEC card is 8/65. As for getting a Gold or a Plat, see my next post.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I guess I should rephrase,
I knew that for a while, this card was "highly" frequently churnable, then ever since about several years ago, they started really enforcing the (1 per 18 months rule
Now in looking at the wiki,it looks like the rules have changed again to allow more frequent churning of this card, no? (sort of like the exec card is now). If so, when did the churning rules/clock change? And what are they now? (same as on exec?)
One card per 18 months applies to all of the personal Plat and Gold links.

The difference is the first (zombie) link requires you to wait from 12 to 26 months from the date you applied for ANY AA card, including the EXEC (YMMV). The reason the wiki describes it as not having "Explicit Churning Restrictions" is that the wait period was not written in the T/Cs, and varied from person to person.

The new links for the Plat and the Gold only require you to wait 18 months after applying for that specific card. This is the "Explicit Churning Restriction" that is spelled out in the T/Cs, and seems to not vary from one person to another.

So using the new links, you can apply for the Plat MC card if you haven't applied for a Plat MC in the past 18 months, even if you have gotten eleventy-seven EXECs, all of which are still open. Reports are this is true even if you just recently closed a Plat Visa. After that, you will have to wait 18 months before you can apply for a Plat MC thru the new link a second time.

The story is exactly the same for the new Gold app. Apply now if you haven't had one in the last 18 months. Then wait 18 months before you can apply for your next Gold AA card.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: AA,AS,HH,HY,IB,LH,IHG,MAR,WN
Originally Posted by eknock007
I used #3 because of recent data points from other posters indicating that my AA Exec would not be an issue and the fact that they had closed other AA CC's within the last 12 months. Also link #3 specifically called out the AA MC as the only previous AA CC that would get you denied while the other links were more vague. Take a little time and look through the posts from the beginning this year. A lot of useful info.
Thanks, I see you had the AA Platinum Visa previously. I had the AA Platinum MC (opened 10/30/13, then closed 11/18/14). With link #3, it sounds like I should wait 18 months from my MC opening date, which will be 6/30/15. The good news is that I can churn Execs while waiting
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Brugge
One card per 18 months applies to all of the personal Plat and Gold links.

The difference is the first (zombie) link requires you to wait from 12 to 26 months from the date you applied for ANY AA card, including the EXEC (YMMV). The reason the wiki describes it as not having "Explicit Churning Restrictions" is that the wait period was not written in the T/Cs, and varied from person to person.

The new links for the Plat and the Gold only require you to wait 18 months after applying for that specific card. This is the "Explicit Churning Restriction" that is spelled out in the T/Cs, and seems to not vary from one person to another.

So using the new links, you can apply for the Plat MC card if you haven't applied for a Plat MC in the past 18 months, even if you have gotten eleventy-seven EXECs, all of which are still open. Reports are this is true even if you just recently closed a Plat Visa. After that, you will have to wait 18 months before you can apply for a Plat MC thru the new link a second time.

The story is exactly the same for the new Gold app. Apply now if you haven't had one in the last 18 months. Then wait 18 months before you can apply for your next Gold AA card.
Makes sense
Thanks again
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
So to Clarify,

I applied and got approved for a Citi MC Platinum 7 days ago using link 3 and getting 50k.

Tomorrow (the 8th day), I can apply for the Gold Card because I NEVER EVER had a gold card in my life. I should be good to go on that? I know the mileage is only 25k but better than nothing

Also I noticed the two links in the wiki for Gold: Which one should I go for? They look identical....

Citi Gold Mastercard. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 3 months. $50 annual fee, waived first year. No landing page available.

Landing page for Citi Gold Mastercard. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 3 months. $50 annual fee, waived first year. Leads to application page. Note: Application page states that "American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Gold MasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months."

Last edited by livestrongforever; Jan 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
So to Clarify,

I applied and got approved for a Citi MC Platinum 7 days ago using link 3 and getting 50k.

Tomorrow (the 8th day), I can apply for the Gold Card because I NEVER EVER had a gold card in my life. I should be good to go on that? I know the mileage is only 25k but better than nothing

Also I noticed the two links in the wiki for Gold: Which one should I go for? They look identical....

Citi Gold Mastercard. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 3 months. $50 annual fee, waived first year. No landing page available.

Landing page for Citi Gold Mastercard. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 3 months. $50 annual fee, waived first year. Leads to application page. Note: Application page states that "American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Gold MasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months."
Yes you are good to go for the Gold. I don't have any data points on the two apps. Maybe someone else does? If not, I'd always prefer an app that has a landing page where you can take a screen shot to prove what you applied for, should Citi ever dispute the bonus you expected to get.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:36 pm

Datapoint:

Instant approval today for 8.5K CL using link #3. I am a first time Citi cardholder so I wasn't expecting too many issues.

Looking into the other Citi options now, but won't be moving on those for at least 10 days. Thanks to everyone for the advice about the timing needed for spacing out the applications!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by Brugge
Yes you are good to go for the Gold. I don't have any data points on the two apps. Maybe someone else does? If not, I'd always prefer an app that has a landing page where you can take a screen shot to prove what you applied for, should Citi ever dispute the bonus you expected to get.
ahhh good call. I will use that landing page. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.