Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Closed Thread

Old Dec 21, 15, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by NTP9766 View Post
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but my card was converted to WE a few weeks back, and I've already met the $3k spend for the bonus. I'm going to be spending another $3k on plane tickets in the next few weeks, and figured I might as well take advantage of the offers and grab another Platinum card.

My question is, should I lower my CL immediately on the first card (currently at $11.5k)? If so, how long should I wait to apply for the new card? I intend to purchase the tickets in January, so I don't want to wait too long. I just don't want to apply for the card and receive a limit that wouldn't allow me to put all 3 tickets on the same purchase.
You do not have to wait to apply subject to 8/65 days rule as well as 6HP/6 months.
As far as lowering CL it all depends on how many open cards with Citi you have and what CLs on those cards are. If converted WE is your only open card with Citi then lowering CL on that card might be counterproductive - if not instantly approved you can ask CSR during recon call to reallocate CL from your current WE card to your new W Platinum card. If you got more cards open with Citi with nice CLs then you can use CLs from the other cards to move the CL to a new card. In that case you can lower CL on your open WE card as soon as you would like to. After lowering CL your newly available credit with Citi might not go into your available credit "pool" right away
Old Dec 21, 15, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99 View Post
What is the consensus on how far Citi looks back on hard pulls? 6 months or a year?
6 months
Old Dec 21, 15, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475 View Post
You do not have to wait to apply subject to 8/65 days rule as well as 6HP/6 months.
As far as lowering CL it all depends on how many open cards with Citi you have and what CLs on those cards are. If converted WE is your only open card with Citi then lowering CL on that card might be counterproductive - if not instantly approved you can ask CSR during recon call to reallocate CL from your current WE card to your new W Platinum card. If you got more cards open with Citi with nice CLs then you can use CLs from the other cards to move the CL to a new card. In that case you can lower CL on your open WE card as soon as you would like to. After lowering CL your newly available credit with Citi might not go into your available credit "pool" right away
This answered my question perfectly - thank you very much!
Old Dec 21, 15, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EP, SPG Plat
Is there a consensus on what the maximum number of Citi cards one can have? Or is it more generally a maximum amount of credit? I'm at 7 and not close to the limit yet since my last approval was over $20k (other 6 cards lowered to $5k or less). TIA
Old Dec 21, 15, 5:56 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Data points...

My last application for a Citi AA W MC was in 2/2015.
That card got converted to WE MC sometime over this past summer.
I applied for a Citi Business W MC 30 days ago (that card is still a W MC).
Today I saw the Citi AA W MC listed in my Pre-approved/Other Cards You Might Be Interested in (OCYMBII). Applied for that using the link there in OCYMBII.
Upon completing the app, got the "Your application is pending further review, please call now for an immediate decision" screen.
Called in, gave app ID, no other questions (although a pretty lengthy hold as the agent reviewed my app - she said they were having system issues).
Was approved, but only for $1500 CL - a real surprise since Citi usually throws crazy big CLs at me.

For existing open Citi cards, I currently have 3 personal (total CL just $14K), and one (recent) Business (CL $20K).

I do have...(cough cough)...several...closed Citi cards, all closed at least 6 months ago, and before closing I had always knocked down my CL.

This is the first time Citi has offered my a CL below $20K.

I am speculating that the recent Biz card app (which got the usual $20K CL) had an impact (since it's so recent) on how much credit they were willing to extend. Either that, or I've just used up so many records in their internal database I've crossed some other limit.

In any case, I did not ask the agent about the bonus offer on the new card, I will look for that in the welcome letter and will report back on that.
Update: Card and Welcome letter just arrived. The welcome letter does indeed contain the 50K bonus language.

Now, a process question...

This card came with just a tiny $1500 CL. Minimum spend is $3K.
I usually like to knock these out quickly.
In this case, I need to operate under that $1500 ceiling.
I could easily roll up, say, $1000 in spending tonight, then pay the balance back down to zero as soon as it posts in a few days, then roll up the final $500 a day later, then pay off $499 of that after it posts - so meeting the minimum spend well before the first statement closes, but when the statement cuts showing a very slim credit utilization.

Ordinarily I tend to not "cycle" like this (spend up, pay off before closing) within a single billing period - I think that looks like funny business to some banks. But I don't want to drag out this process - I'm hoping this card will get upgraded to WE soon so I can rinse and repeat.

See much risk to doing that in this case?
Old Dec 21, 15, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Update: Card and Welcome letter just arrived. The welcome letter does indeed contain the 50K bonus language.

Now, a process question...

This card came with just a tiny $1500 CL. Minimum spend is $3K.
I usually like to knock these out quickly.
In this case, I need to operate under that $1500 ceiling.
I could easily roll up, say, $1000 in spending tonight, then pay the balance back down to zero as soon as it posts in a few days, then roll up the final $500 a day later, then pay off $499 of that after it posts - so meeting the minimum spend well before the first statement closes, but when the statement cuts showing a very slim credit utilization.

Ordinarily I tend to not "cycle" like this (spend up, pay off before closing) within a single billing period - I think that looks like funny business to some banks. But I don't want to drag out this process - I'm hoping this card will get upgraded to WE soon so I can rinse and repeat.

See much risk to doing that in this case?
Not much risk
Old Dec 21, 15, 10:24 pm

online showing whether conversion

Apologies if this has been covered, but wanted to perhaps help others on a nugget I saw awhile back that you could see online whether the card had changed to WE.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out where to look, after trying to click on everything. I finally figured out the "problem". Because I tend to keep all the cards I churn under one ID, one of the first things I do is create an account nickname when adding the card to my profile.

If you do this, you'll knock out the default description, and then you'd have to go into your preferences and to the nickname section to see details. Better not to create one to start with so it's right there on the homepage when you log in.

So, for those of you who don't bother with account nicknames you may have assumed the rest of us could see it clearly, but nicknames are a PITA in this case.
Old Dec 22, 15, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by teammjs View Post
So, for those of you who don't bother with account nicknames you may have assumed the rest of us could see it clearly, but nicknames are a PITA in this case.
Correct. I also recall that once a nickname is added, it could not be removed -- only changed. But that experience was many years ago, when I stopped messing with nicknames.
Old Dec 22, 15, 5:41 am

Citi Platinum & Gold AA cards bonuses + benefits.

About 6 months ago I converted an AA Executive card to a free bronze card. Would that affect things in any way?
Old Dec 22, 15, 7:16 am

Out of curiosity, has anyone asked for a 10k mile credit (citing the new 60k targeted offers), received it, opened a new 50k mile card, and then asked for the 10k mile credit on the new card? I was just approved for a second 50k mile platinum card after my original was converted to WE (and after I received the 10k bonus), and will be trying it again on the new card.
Old Dec 22, 15, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 View Post
Out of curiosity, has anyone asked for a 10k mile credit (citing the new 60k targeted offers), received it, opened a new 50k mile card, and then asked for the 10k mile credit on the new card? I was just approved for a second 50k mile platinum card after my original was converted to WE (and after I received the 10k bonus), and will be trying it again on the new card.
Currently 2 for 2 on the 60k match on four different matches (2x cards for two people).

Holding out for another WE conversion so I can go 3 for 3.
Old Dec 22, 15, 11:24 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Quick question for the more knowledgeable folks.

I have Platinum World and Gold World cards from October and December respectively. I just closed my Plat and Gold World Elite cards that were opened in March and August respectively and reduced the current Plat and Gold cards to $4k each.

Neither of the current cards have been switched to World Elite, and while I'm in no hurry does anyone know if the low credit lines may impact Citi changing them to WE? I'm getting my last hurrah with AMEX SPG Biz before it all becomes Marriott so between that and Chase Freedom bonuses I have enough to spend on this month, but am hoping I get converted and can start a new batch of cards after New Years.
Anyone have datapoints on this? I realized I still have $15,500 on my gold mastercard, but only $4000 on my platinum after credit reduction. Did I shoot myself in the foot for a WE conversion based on low credit line?
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v View Post
How do you tell if your card has been converted from W to WE before receiving the new card in the mail?
Originally Posted by ninim2200 View Post
This is what your World card Reads when you log in

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard® -xxxx

This is what it reads when it's World Elite:

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® -xxxx
As I mentioned before, that's NOT TRUE if you've nicknamed your card. If you've nicknamed your card, you can only see whether it says World by going to to the page where you (re)nickname the cards, which at the point is the only place left (that I can find) which has that spelled out.

Just because you don't see "World" other places (after you've nickname your card) means nothing. I proved that by nicknaming my card immediately after activating it and looking around for "World" afterwards, and there were pages that were missing "World", but one page and one page only which said "World".
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
As I mentioned before, that's NOT TRUE if you've nicknamed your card. If you've nicknamed your card, you can only see whether it says World by going to to the page where you (re)nickname the cards, which at the point is the only place left (that I can find) which has that spelled out.

Just because you don't see "World" other places (after you've nickname your card) means nothing. I proved that by nicknaming my card immediately after activating it and looking around for "World" afterwards, and there were pages that were missing "World", but one page and one page only which said "World".
But if you didn't nickname your cards, then the above information is correct?
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38 View Post
Is there a consensus on what the maximum number of Citi cards one can have? Or is it more generally a maximum amount of credit? I'm at 7 and not close to the limit yet since my last approval was over $20k (other 6 cards lowered to $5k or less). TIA
YMMV on both, but it's the amount of credit that's more relevant than the number of cards. Some people have had oodles of open Citi cards (when churning Citi HH no-AF Visa was even easier than AA W->WE churning is now, until earlier this year) with limits lowered to $1k on each (Citi HH allowed limits that low, but I think the lowest limit possible on the Citi AA may be a bit higher.)

Search this Thread