Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ninim2200
The approval letter is your official document for getting the bonus or not, if it shows the bonus on the letter, you will get it, if it doesn't then you will not get any bonus.

I was responding to someone's
question, not asking one if I would get the bonus .
Am quite certain I will get the bonus and if you read my prior
posts you will see , not back to get my mail till mid December.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
For now, it seems none. But since the W->WE factor is a "loophole", we don't know how all that will work if/once that "loophole" is closed.

So I would recommend that it would be safer to cancel a previous card right after you get approved for a new card of the same type. Then, if the W->WE "loophole" goes away, looking backwards, the 18 months from your last close will be about the same as the 18 months from your last open.
Agreed 100%. I just opened a card, and am closing a previous one within a few days of that date. That's the way to do it with any Citi card (with the 18-month rule) these days, really.

Of course, with the almost effortless AF credit they give on the platinum cards, there's not really any reason to need to cancel one. I'm just closing this one because I had 4 of the same card open (and was managing an additional 4 more), and it was annoying me. /firstworldproblems
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:45 am

I just applied for the Business card and the app's pending . Is that a bad sign? I received the first one in April.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:51 am

Bowtie just posted this on his blog. I'd say we are in the last days of this loophole. Anyone that wants to get in on this should do it imminently.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:06 am

Wonderful. Now this has been posted by MMS. Put a fork in it. This will not last much longer.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:10 am
Suspended

Any links to the above stories? Not sure who you're talking about. Thanks.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 7:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jsk1973
Any links
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/1...multiple-times
Old Nov 23, 2015, 8:30 am
Suspended

Thanks. I'm kind of amazed these loopholes last as long as they do. You'd think the big banks would have some intern monitoring sites like this, Reddit, etc.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've found that most bloggers think that 50k is a "limited time" offer. Few of them want to say that you to go to FlyerTalk to find better offers than the Citi / AA sites show (and they usually show just 30k or so).

Most bloggers don't even know (or at least don't publicize) the awayN/travelN/milesN trick of finding them without going to FlyerTalk, because they get commissions on promoting the "official" link.

So the bloggers will probably shut up once the 50k offer goes away from the main Citi page and from AA's main page. I don't think they can get commissions on awayN/travelN/milesN offers!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsk1973
Thanks. I'm kind of amazed these loopholes last as long as they do. You'd think the big banks would have some intern monitoring sites like this, Reddit, etc.
Banks are big institutions. Which exact level of which exact office would hire such an intern, and who would they report to?

Banks are more concerned with people scamming them for actual money (getting loans and then walking way), by comparison giving out bonus more frequently than they intended is not the highest priority (especially at a bank that has intended, for whatever reason, to give out bonuses frequently on many occasions in the past, as is fairly new to these 18 month restrictions).

Furthermore, we don't know how complex a fix it is. They may have to recode how their systems classify cards to really fix it? (Or they could do a sweep once a month or whatever, and send out letters saying "you didn't qualify for the 50k after all, no matter what we told you in the welcome letter", but retroactive removal of bonuses has not been the Citi way up to now.)
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Banks are big institutions. Which exact level of which exact office would hire such an intern, and who would they report to?
These are huge, huge companies with billions of dollars at their disposal. It's borderline absurd that they're being outsmarted by a bunch of bloggers, let alone outsmarted for months or even years at a time.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:25 am

Is there any way to know which card I had (W or WE) if I closed the card and discarded it? I still have online access to the closed account and its statements, but there is nowhere where it says W or WE.

Lesson learnt not to discard any closed cards: they can be useful for loopholes and award tickets where they want to see your credit card at check-in.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Dang it! And I just opened up a Plat card! Hopefully it converts before Citi shuts this loophole down.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
Is there any way to know which card I had (W or WE) if I closed the card and discarded it? I still have online access to the closed account and its statements, but there is nowhere where it says W or WE.

Lesson learnt not to discard any closed cards: they can be useful for loopholes and award tickets where they want to see your credit card at check-in.
On your online Citi profile there is a description of each particular card. If it says "Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select" then the card got to be WE. If there is a word "World" in the description, then the card got to be W
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475
On your online Citi profile there is a description of each particular card. If it says "Citi Aadvantage Platinum Select" then the card got to be WE. If there is a word "World" in the description, then the card got to be W
Thanks, all of my cards are Platinum Select, even those older ones which were closed as a Visa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.