Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
How do you know when your card gets converted to World Elite?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
The 65 rule applies . FYI I was just approved today for an app last Tuesday . Not
sure the $5K lowering of my CL worked its way through the system from 3 weeks ago , as they had to take a small amount of CL from one of my other
Citi cards .

This is in spite of the fact that I am prolly at 12-15 K below my previous Citi
Total CL .

Bottom line glad I was approved . Used the pre approved link to apply , and never mentioned bonus when talking with approval DEPT.
Hope I have a confirmation of bonus letter back home , which I won't be back to receive till mid Dec .
Were you able to get the 50K bonus?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by schrute
Were you able to get the 50K bonus?
Still in Europe and won't have card till mid Dec , but applied via the pre approved application which had the 50 offer attached , and was told on an earlier call , before being approved today , that CSR saw I applied for a 50 K bonus package.

Will reconfirm when I activate card Mid Dec
Old Nov 18, 2015, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
How do you know when your card gets converted to World Elite?
There may be more than one way, but it will say "Elite" on the back of the card.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Still in Europe and won't have card till mid Dec , but applied via the pre approved application which had the 50 offer attached , and was told on an earlier call , before being approved today , that CSR saw I applied for a 50 K bonus package.

Will reconfirm when I activate card Mid Dec
You talked to the rep on the phone? Did they ask why you want to have 2 of the same cards? What did you say to confirm the eligibility?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kdjk5467
There may be more than one way, but it will say "Elite" on the back of the card.
Thanks but don't most people find out before the card is shipped.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by schrute View Post
What is the process for getting a second AA Platinum card + 50K AA miles?

As I understand, it is the following:

Day 1: Approved for AA Platinum card #1 + 50K AA miles
Day 7-30: Receive card, meet spend requirement, earn miles
Day 30-60: Convert to World Elite MC; miles post to account, etc.
Day 70: Apply for new AA Platinum card (card #2) + 50K AA miles, become approved
Day 77-107: Receive card, meeting spend requirement, earn miles
Day 137: New miles post to the account, total of 106,000 (50 + 50 + 3 + 3)

Does this sound about right?
Originally Posted by Happy
The conversion is NOT done by the cardholder - it is initiated by Citi, randomly. When and whose cards are converted, nobody knows until it actually happens. Until that actually happens, your Day 70 and onward activities would not yield additional bonus.
Okay, so when it's done automatically, does that mean you can re-apply for the Platinum Select, get the bonus from the date of your first Platinum Select or the date of when you were converted (automatically) to the World Elite?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:43 pm

how long did you guys wait after hitting the 3k mark until the points posted to your account?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Thanks but don't most people find out before the card is shipped.
Apparently some do. I didn't find out until the card arrived.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, so when it's done automatically, does that mean you can re-apply for the Platinum Select, get the bonus from the date of your first Platinum Select or the date of when you were converted (automatically) to the World Elite?
Huh? Each card's bonus period starts when you apply for that card. World Elite conversion does nothing to that.

All World Elite conversion allows you to do is to apply for yet another Citi AA MC with no 18 month clock issue. Everything else works the same as for a first-ever Citii AA MC, or a Citi AA MC more than 18 months after the open or close of the previous one. The only thing that World Elite changes with respect to signup bonuses is it waives the 18 months requirement, nothing else.

All Happy was saying is that you can't count on when Citi will convert you to a World Elite. (Gosh, you can't absolutely even count on if Citi will convert you to a World Elite, though they've been doing it for most people here.)

So the timeline in your original post had things in the right order, but had a day range assigned to when the World Elite conversions happens, and you can't count on that.

So what you can do is:
Day 7 to 90: Receive card, meet spend requirement, earn miles, miles post to account on next statement cycle after spend requirement is met
Day 30 to whenever: you hopefully get upgraded to World Elite; if so (and only if so):
Day whenever or later: Apply for new AA Platinum card (card #2) + 50K AA miles
Day whenever to whenver + 14: get approved (Citi sometimes takes a while to approve you, so you cannot count very specifically on when you'll get approved either!)
Day whenever + 7 to whenever + 90: Receive card, meet spend requirement, earn miles, New miles post to the account on next statement after spend requirement is met

total of 106,000 (50 + 50 + 3 + 3)
But all those "whenver +" have to be in there because it's impossible to know when exactly you'll get upgraded to World Elite. So the end result makes sense, but you assigming specific days to it what doesn't make sense.

Last edited by sdsearch; Nov 19, 2015 at 4:44 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
how long did you guys wait after hitting the 3k mark until the points posted to your account?
See FAQ #10 in the wiki.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? Each card's bonus period starts when you apply for that card. World Elite conversion does nothing to that.

All World Elite conversion allows you to do is to apply for yet another Citi AA MC with no 18 month clock issue. Everything else works the same as for a first-ever Citii AA MC, or a Citi AA MC more than 18 months after the open or close of the previous one. The only thing that World Elite changes with respect to signup bonuses is it waives the 18 months requirement, nothing else.

All Happy was saying is that you can't count on when Citi will convert you to a World Elite. (Gosh, you can't absolutely even count on if Citi will convert you to a World Elite, though they've been doing it for most people here.)

So the timeline in your original post had things in the right order, but had a day range assigned to when the World Elite conversions happens, and you can't count on that.

So what you can do is:
Day 7 to 90: Receive card, meet spend requirement, earn miles, miles post to account on next statement cycle after spend requirement is met
Day 30 to whenever: you hopefully get upgraded to World Elite; if so (and only if so):
Day whenever to whenver + 14: get approved (Citi sometimes takes a while to approve you, so you cannot count very specifically on when you'll get approved either!)
Day whenever + 7 to whenever + 90: Receive card, meet spend requirement, earn miles, New miles post to the account on next statement after spend requirement is met

But all those "whenver +" have to be in there because it's impossible to know when exactly you'll get upgraded to World Elite. So the end result makes sense, but you assigming specific days to it what doesn't make sense.
I found out I was updated this month or last month. I noticed in an e-mail that I have "World Elite". I called to ask about my account and they said, "You're already a World Elite member sir. You're new card was mailed on 11/10".

So I don't have to activate the card right? I can apply right now (if I wanted) to and still get the bonus with the Platinum Select?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:18 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of AA checked bag benefit has been exported because this benefit is administered by the airline, not by Citi. Please remember that general AA topics should be discussed in the AAdvantage forum where there is much greater depth of knowledge.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-flights.html

Last edited by mia; Nov 20, 2015 at 2:43 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch

So what you can do is:

Assuming I have a card that was upgraded to World Elite, what is the impact of closing the account on receiving a bonus in the future? Will it reset the 18 month clock or can I now receive a new bonus for the Plat no matter what I do now (8/65 rule being the only other consideration).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:21 pm

I found out I was updated this month or last month. I noticed in an e-mail that I have "World Elite". I called to ask about my account and they said, "You're already a World Elite member sir. You're new card was mailed on 11/10".

So I don't have to activate the card right? I can apply right now (if I wanted) to and still get the bonus with the Platinum Select?
You're asking a lot of questions (which is good). You're asking a lot of questions that have been answered in the last ~20 pages of this thread (which is bad). Take a few minutes and read the last 20-30 pages here, and you'll get your answers much more quickly than waiting on us to respond. More importantly, you'll have an understanding of how this really works, instead of just trying to figure out what those people on FT were trying to tell you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.