Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Follow up:

My speculation appears to be correct.

As summarized above, she had a citi plat select world card, that was I closed before it was converted to WE. She applied, received a plat select world card but no bonus. We have waited for it to convert to WE, and now in her preapproved offers you may be interested in, there is a 50k plat select. Further more, I was recently approved for my 3rd plat select world card last week and the welcome letter references the bonus 50k.
I didn't state it but, seeing that preapproved offer, we applied with link 4c and was approved. Will report back with final confirmation that the letter shows the bonus which I'm confident it will since it showed up in preapproved offers.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Follow up:

My speculation appears to be correct.

As summarized above, she had a citi plat select world card, that was I closed before it was converted to WE. She applied, received a plat select world card but no bonus. We have waited for it to convert to WE, and now in her preapproved offers you may be interested in, there is a 50k plat select. Further more, I was recently approved for my 3rd plat select world card last week and the welcome letter references the bonus 50k.
Thanks for the update and the quote - that is nice for you to do that so it is much easier to follow the details.

The empirical data so far:

Cancellation of a WE after being converted from W, does NOT affect the repeat bonus. (your case - this is important)
Cancellation of a W before being converted, affects the repeat bonus negatively. (your wife's case)

What is the next is, the wordings on the letter of approval on your wife's 3rd card applied AFTER her no bonus W seemingly is converted to WE.

Hopefully with the above data we could have a clearer picture of many aspects of this path.

I didn't state it but, seeing that preapproved offer, we applied with link 4c and was approved. Will report back with final confirmation that the letter shows the bonus which I'm confident it will since it showed up in preapproved offers.
There are a few posts about using links other than 4c, and posts about using the Prequalified link - all receive the 50K letter. What is not clear is, would those cards from links other than 4c still trigger the W to WE conversion (hence the potential repeat). Those who use different links PLEASE report if their new cards are converted or not after reasonably enough time has passed (2 to 3 billing cycles).
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:34 pm

How long has the business card been the "Platinum Select World MC"? I cancelled an AA biz card in Sept 2014 (opened one year earlier), but I trying to figure out if it is the same product, allowing me to get the bonus again now. I'll keep reading the thread to see what I can find out, but it seems that the "conversion to elite" I read about is for personal cards and that it is an automatic thing and therefor I would not be able to get another biz card bonus that way either.... Thanks for your patience...

Last edited by kdjk5467; Nov 15, 2015 at 7:44 pm
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by kdjk5467
How long has the business card been the "Platinum Select World MC"? I cancelled an AA biz card in Sept 2014 (opened one year earlier), but I trying to figure out if it is the same product, allowing me to get the bonus again now. I'll keep reading the thread to see what I can find out, but it seems that the "conversion to elite" I read about is for personal cards and that it is an automatic thing... Thanks for your patience...
Getting approved and collecting the bonus and the 2nd. and consecutive Citi AA Business MC is a matter of luck and has nothing to do with any kind of conversion. You can reapply for your next AA Business card as soon as you would like to, but no one can tell you whether you will get approved or not.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475
Getting approved and collecting the bonus and the 2nd. and consecutive Citi AA Business MC is a matter of luck and has nothing to do with any kind of conversion. You can reapply for your next AA Business card as soon as you would like to, but no one can tell you whether you will get approved or not.
Thanks, I am not too worried about getting approved, I just wasn't sure if the talk about the conversion to Elite as discussed for the personal card also affected the business card. I will take the "This offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness / AAdvantage® World MasterCard cardmembers who apply to this offer" language at face value instead of counting on luck.

I was hoping that the card used to be called something else so that I would qualify again, but I seriously doubt that is the case since it does not even say "platinum select"

Thanks for your time. I am still interested in hearing of anyone recently getting the bonus on a second card.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 8:46 pm

Thanks, I am not too worried about getting approved, I just wasn't sure if the talk about the conversion to Elite as discussed for the personal card also affected the business card. I will take the "This offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness / AAdvantage® World MasterCard cardmembers who apply to this offer" language at face value instead of counting on luck.
You can just read Wiki regarding Business Card applications
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by boris10475
You can just read Wiki regarding Business Card applications
Yes, I did. It says YMMV and does not specifically address my question. I was asking if the statement "this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select cardmembers." absolutely excluded me, since sometimes the exact product changes over time. I asked if the card they have now (platinum select) is the same one they had a year ago. Also the wiki does not go into detail about which cards benefited from a possible upgrade to Elite. I did not simply ask if I would be approved.

After your first response, I simply said that I was still interested in more data from folks applying for a second business card...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 9:44 pm

Yes, I did. It says YMMV and does not specifically address my question. I was asking if the statement "this offer is valid only for first time CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select cardmembers." absolutely excluded me, since sometimes the exact product changes over time. I asked if the card they have now (platinum select) is the same one they had a year ago. Also the wiki does not go into detail about which cards benefited from a possible upgrade to Elite. I did not simply ask if I would be approved.

After your first response, I simply said that I was still interested in more data from folks applying for a second business card...
for AA business as the wiki says it is all YMMV if you get approved or not, some get the card every 90+ days, some cannot get it, some have to close the previous account & master account some don't it is YMMV, in your case you closed the account 14 months ago, it's up to you to take a shot or not, make sure that you also closed the master account as well.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:01 pm

How long has the business card been the "Platinum Select World MC"? I cancelled an AA biz card in Sept 2014 (opened one year earlier), but I trying to figure out if it is the same product, allowing me to get the bonus again now. I'll keep reading the thread to see what I can find out, but it seems that the "conversion to elite" I read about is for personal cards and that it is an automatic thing and therefor I would not be able to get another biz card bonus that way either....
Thanks, I am not too worried about getting approved, I just wasn't sure if the talk about the conversion to Elite as discussed for the personal card also affected the business card.
sometimes the exact product changes over time. I asked if the card they have now (platinum select) is the same one they had a year ago. Also the wiki does not go into detail about which cards benefited from a possible upgrade to Elite.
Let's go over this step by step:
  • The World Elite conversion matters for personal cards because personal cards have a general 18-months-since-last-open/close restriction.
  • Citi business AA cards do not have this 18-month restriction.
  • Thus, the World Elite conversion issue is utterly and totally irrelevant to business cards.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long has the business card been the "Platinum Select World MC"? I cancelled an AA biz card in Sept 2014 (opened one year earlier), but I trying to figure out if it is the same product, allowing me to get the bonus again now. I'll keep reading the thread to see what I can find out, but it seems that the "conversion to elite" I read about is for personal cards and that it is an automatic thing and therefor I would not be able to get another biz card bonus that way either.... Thanks for your patience...
That's not specific enough. Did you cancel only the card account, or did you cancel both the card account and its associated "master account"? There are some people who can't churn simply because they neglected to close their "master account". (However, there are many other factors, most unknown, so closing your "master account" is not necessarily sufficient, but it is generally necessary.)

Background: Citi business cards have a "master account" associated with them because they anticipate you might get additional cards for employees and would want to handle all of those employee cards (as well as your own) under one "master account". Both the card account and the "master account" are opened automatically when you apply for the first card, but you have to specify that you want to close them both or else by default Citi usually only closes the card account if you don't specify.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Anyone else having issues with Citi AA card reporting miles?

I had 3800 miles last statement give or take. 3K in normal spend, 800 additional miles from the 3X Miles on eligible purchases through 12/31/15 promo. Citi says they submitted the 800 bonus miles on the same day of the statement closing. AA says they have not. I've never had an issue with the # earned on my statement matching what was reported to AA. Barclay yes, but never Citi.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:38 am

I really do appreciate the effort of taking the time to reply. I really do read up before I post, but I know I can miss things sometimes, sorry.
Originally Posted by beltway
Let's go over this step by step:
  • The World Elite conversion matters for personal cards because personal cards have a general 18-months-since-last-open/close restriction.
  • Citi business AA cards do not have this 18-month restriction.
  • Thus, the World Elite conversion issue is utterly and totally irrelevant to business cards.
Now I get it, thanks.

Originally Posted by ninim2200
for AA business as the wiki says it is all YMMV if you get approved or not, some get the card every 90+ days, some cannot get it, some have to close the previous account & master account some don't it is YMMV, in your case you closed the account 14 months ago, it's up to you to take a shot or not, make sure that you also closed the master account as well.
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That's not specific enough. Did you cancel only the card account, or did you cancel both the card account and its associated "master account"? There are some people who can't churn simply because they neglected to close their "master account". (However, there are many other factors, most unknown, so closing your "master account" is not necessarily sufficient, but it is generally necessary.)

Background: Citi business cards have a "master account" associated with them because they anticipate you might get additional cards for employees and would want to handle all of those employee cards (as well as your own) under one "master account". Both the card account and the "master account" are opened automatically when you apply for the first card, but you have to specify that you want to close them both or else by default Citi usually only closes the card account if you don't specify.
And... here is the part I missed (even though I see it now). I have seen those accounts before and that has always confused me. Now I finally get it. I'll have to dig around for paperwork and call them to see if it is cancelled.

Either way, I have one more question that I also may just be too dense to see.... For the business card, if I am approved, does that mean I should get the miles? I see the note for the "Citi has changed their policy concerning approving personal cards for which you cannot get the bonus." but not for business.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:43 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by airb330
Anyone else having issues with Citi AA card reporting miles?

For a little adrenaline rush, go check your Award Wallet balances this morning.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:59 am

Does anyone know if the maximum amount of credit Citi will extend covers both personal and business cards? My last personal Citi approval needed to reallocate credit line for the approval. I applied for the business version of this card and got a pending notice. I am not sure if I should avoid calling (like anecdotal evidence suggests with Chase), or if they might just need to reallocate credit again. I'm not a big fan of the standard grilling for business card applications and would like to avoid that if possible.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:17 am

Quick datapoint...took another posters advice to apply for another World MC before Nov 15th Citi-wide change...although we won't be sure if any changes would affect current World to World Elite conversions for some time.

So I applied for wife's number 3 World card on 11/14. Got pending (happened on the last 2 world cards as well) and my datapoint is since it was Saturday night I did not get a chat window. On card #2 in the check application status page a chat window opened up after lingering for a few seconds. I was worried that this would require her calling the number and answering some questions....but surprisingly got an email today saying approved.

Also her 2nd World Elite converted card was received last week without any indication of it being mailed. I knew it was converted due to name change in citi.com naming convention on her card account name.

I just received my letter with 50k bonus mention for my number 3 World card...physical card not received yet...been 10 days. Expect it any day now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.