Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by sddjd
So, at risk of another repetetive post would like experts' opinion on my self-diagnosis:

2/27/14 - Opened Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (still open)
2/27/14 - Closed Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select (Master) Card

Have two other Plat Select cards, but they've been open for 10+ years (they're my long-term anchors)

As I read the wiki, the fly in the ointment would be the <12mo closure of the Plat Select preventing approval of the landing page offer.

I would prefer to use the landing-page offers due to the 2k vs 3k spend, but am willing to use the 3k personal unrestricted link if that's the most likely approval.

FYI I also plan to apply for the US 50k & 2k Biz MC (never had a Citi Biz card). Is it advisable that I stack the Pers/US apps within one day, then wait the requisite 8 days to follow up with the Biz MC?
It is guesswork at this point. My wife and I were in a similar situation except with Platinum Visas closed last year(we both have open ones as well). I also closed a Gold MC in the last 10 months. Neither of us had a problem with the $2K spend link.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sddjd
As I read the wiki, the fly in the ointment would be the <12mo closure of the Plat Select preventing approval of the landing page offer.

I would prefer to use the landing-page offers due to the 2k vs 3k spend, but am willing to use the 3k personal unrestricted link if that's the most likely approval.

FYI I also plan to apply for the US 50k & 2k Biz MC (never had a Citi Biz card). Is it advisable that I stack the Pers/US apps within one day, then wait the requisite 8 days to follow up with the Biz MC?
I don't understand how your first question is a question. Yes, clearly having closed a Plat MC within 18 months disqualifies you for the landing page offer. Unless you have reason to think that Citi will, out of the goodness of it's heart, give you a bonus you don't qualify for. (Hint: Citi is not like that).

If you think you are near the limit for HPs with Citi, do the personal Citi app first, then the US right after getting a response from Citi. If not near a limit on HPs from Citi, and you already have a few recent apps, apply for the US first, since Barclays doesn't like seeing too many recent apps on your credit history. If neither of those applies, it doesn't matter which comes first.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Given that both numbers were a bit below the CLs we got (CLs $16.5K and $10K), I sort of assumed that it was like a cash advance limit on this particular card. Not sure though, it was odd.
No, CA limit is usually 30% of the total limit.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Hey guys, I need a little help.

I have the following:

Citi Personal Visa: had it for about 12 months
Citi Personal Amex: had it for about 12 months
Citi elite exec: CLosed it about a month ago (Also had it for 12 months)

I am about to close the new personal Citi cards because the annual fee just hit the account.

Couple questions:

1. Should I close the cards before applying for new cards?
2. Can I apply since I read somewhere I have to wait 18 months between applications?

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
Hey guys, I need a little help.

I have the following:

Citi Personal Visa: had it for about 12 months
Citi Personal Amex: had it for about 12 months
Citi elite exec: CLosed it about a month ago (Also had it for 12 months)

I am about to close the new personal Citi cards because the annual fee just hit the account.

Couple questions:

1. Should I close the cards before applying for new cards?
2. Can I apply since I read somewhere I have to wait 18 months between applications?

Thanks!
I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The Landing Page for the new apps says something different from the app T/C. The app says:

"American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Platinum SelectMasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months."

But the Landing Page says:

"American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card opened or closed in the past 18 months."

So which one is correct?

Maybe the person who wrote the Landing page got sloppy and forgot to add the "MC" to the language. Or maybe whoever wrote the app T/C just put in MC because Citi doesn't offer a Plat AA Visa anymore. But Citi still intends to deny a bonus for opening/closing Plat Visa cards as well. What we have learned from the EXEC thread is that Citi no longer will simply deny a non-qualifying app without even doing a HP. People are being approved for new EXEC cards thru links where they don't qualify for any bonus at all. They only find out for sure they are not getting one after they complete the spend.

I learn toward thinking that since the "MC" language is so specific, and posted prominently on the app itself, that only MC cards will be a problem. But until several people who have opened or closed Pat Visa cards, but not Plat AA MCs, in the last 18 months apply thru the new links we have no way of knowing.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
:Should I close the cards before applying for new cards?
I just realized I answered your question #2, but not question #1.

No need to close your AA Visa cards. Either having a Visa is no problem with the new apps, in which case it doesn't matter what you do.

Or else having closed a Visa within the last 18 months will keep you from getting a bonus. In which case you will qualify for a new bonus in 6 months if you keep them open. But would have to wait 18 months if you close one now.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brugge

No need to close your AA Visa cards. Either having a Visa is no problem with the new apps, in which case it doesn't matter what you do.

Or else having closed a Visa within the last 18 months will keep you from getting a bonus. In which case you will qualify for a new bonus in 6 months if you keep them open. But would have to wait 18 months if you close one now.
The problem with this strategy is that you have to pay the AF if you don't close it. It's only $95, but if you leave it open and then find that you can't get another one in 6 months anyway, you're out $95 for no reason.

It might be worth it to try for a retention bonus to offset the AF. If you can't get that you have to decide how much you care about $95 and whether it's worth the gamble to you.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The problem with this strategy is that you have to pay the AF if you don't close it. It's only $95, but if you leave it open and then find that you can't get another one in 6 months anyway, you're out $95 for no reason.

It might be worth it to try for a retention bonus to offset the AF. If you can't get that you have to decide how much you care about $95 and whether it's worth the gamble to you.
Well I wasn't suggesting a strategy. I answered a question by pointing out the various options. If you read both of my posts, I think the odds are 70% the OP can close it with no consequences. And 30% closing it will extend the waiting period by 12 months. And maybe we will get the answer to that before the AF is actually due, so the OP should at least wait until just before the payment due date to decide.

Anything can always happen, of course, but having just set up this new policy, and brought out these new apps, I'd expect Citi to keep things this way for at least 6 months. And since the most restrictive language is opened or closed "a Plat card" in 18 months, keeping it open should mean the OP will qualify then. But it's Citi after all, so yes: YMMV.

I've gotten a retention offer on more AA Plat cards than I can count, and haven't paid a AF in forever. But my DW tried that last month, and was not offered anything at all. Still, as we used to say in Junior High, "anything that's worth a try is worth a try". And it is a free call, so for sure try that first.

After that there are several gambles. The biggest one is, having opened or closed a Visa Plat in the past 18 months, apply for a MC Plat now, get a HP, make a 4 figure spend, and wait to see if you get the bonus or not.

I can't apply to Citi for another month. Who is clear on 8/65 and willing to take one for the team?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't apply to Citi for another month. Who is clear on 8/65 and willing to take one for the team?
I will be in a month, but I am at least 16 months away from another Plat/Gold AA app with the new links.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
i havent had a CitiBusiness card in over 2 years. So maybe I should just play it safe and apply for the Citibusiness card for now.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think we know the answer to that yet. The Landing Page for the new apps says something different from the app T/C. The app says:

"American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Platinum SelectMasterCard opened or closed in the past 18 months."

But the Landing Page says:

"American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles are not available if you have had a Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select Card opened or closed in the past 18 months."

So which one is correct?

Maybe the person who wrote the Landing page got sloppy and forgot to add the "MC" to the language. Or maybe whoever wrote the app T/C just put in MC because Citi doesn't offer a Plat AA Visa anymore. But Citi still intends to deny a bonus for opening/closing Plat Visa cards as well. What we have learned from the EXEC thread is that Citi no longer will simply deny a non-qualifying app without even doing a HP. People are being approved for new EXEC cards thru links where they don't qualify for any bonus at all. They only find out for sure they are not getting one after they complete the spend.

I learn toward thinking that since the "MC" language is so specific, and posted prominently on the app itself, that only MC cards will be a problem. But until several people who have opened or closed Pat Visa cards, but not Plat AA MCs, in the last 18 months apply thru the new links we have no way of knowing.
Unfortunately it is very wrong.

fwiw, back in November I used the new app with landing page for husband's account. His prior card was a Visa that was opened 18 months ago but was only closed last May. He got an INSTANT DENIAL. Letter claimed, citing SPECIFICALLY the 18 months clause. Should be skeptical when I saw a completely new look of the application form...

And that was a Visa that closed less than 18 months ago.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the case. In fact did not even get the card. Instant denial. A very surprise after many instant approvals of the HHonors cards, and the AA was 18 months ago. Did not keep up with the AA thread and operated on the old book was what costed us.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy
fwiw, back in November I used the new app with landing page for husband's account. His prior card was a Visa that was opened 18 months ago but was only closed last May. He got an INSTANT DENIAL. Letter claimed, citing SPECIFICALLY the 18 months clause. Should be skeptical when I saw a completely new look of the application form...

As others have posited upthread, this means that getting a retention offer to offset the AF looms a lot larger in one's churn calculus.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Unfortunately it is very wrong.

Interesting, as I had the exact opposite result for my wife and I within the last week. Both applied for Personal MC with new 18-mo language. Both closed Personal Visa (and me a Personal Gold MC) in the last 12 months. Instant approval for both of us. Last Personal App for either of us was 18 months ago.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:50 am

My wife was denied for the AA Plat (50K offer without explicit churning restrictions). She had two previous AA cards (Mastercard and Visa), opened in 3/2013 and 7/2013. One of those (Visa) is still open, and one (Mastercard) was closed last year. Denied for already having an AA card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.