Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:07 pm

Wife approved for this card last week, 24 months after last personal card. Did not cancel prior card. The Admirals club passes are a nice addition.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:00 am

Welcome to FT!

Currently, you can only apply for a Personal AA card (other than the Executive Card) of ANY kind (AmEx, V, MC) every 12-26 months, usually around 18 months, once Citi decides that you are no longer an existing customer. In addition, you can only apply for one Citi card of ANY type in a week (8 days to be safe) and only two Citi cards of ANY type in 60 days (65 days to be safe).

Targeted offers seem to allow you to violate at least some of these rules but I have never been so targeted, so I am not positive which ones and as in all things, YMMV.

The safest route is to apply for the targeted offer for 60K points. The more risky but potentially more lucrative route is to apply for the 50K Platinum Visa first and 8+ days later apply for the targeted 60K card. Applying for the targeted card first and the Platinum public offer second will almost definitely result in a wasted hard pull onf your second application when it fails.

Ike

Originally Posted by martin_avalon
Hi

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask. I received the targeted 50k + 10k Citi AAdvantage Gold card offer, as referenced in this thread. Can I apply for that offer, and then apply for the publicly available 50k Platinum Card offer and receive the sign up bonus for both?

I'm new to AAdvantage cards, but I assume similar dual offers have existed in the past. Does anyone have any experience doing so? The only relevant post I found in the search was from 2004.

bonus question: What are the chances I will receive a targeted platinum card offer above 50k?

thx
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:05 pm

For those of you who received the targeted offers and applied - did this in any way override the 18-month rule? That is, if you had applied for a Citi AA personal card within the last ~18 months, were you approved based on this targeted offer? Or were you denied for having gotten the card too recently?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:18 pm

Thanks Ike!

I have signed up for the Gold card with the 60k bonus, and will skip the platinum card application. Since this AA Gold card is my first ever Citi card, I guess I will try and wait for a good Executive card sign up offer to appear.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
Try to apply
most likely it's a pre approved offer
this way if approved you can get bonus twice

Gold and platinum cards are considered different products
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure its subject to the rule of one bonus every 12/24 months it doesn't matter what aadvantage card type you have.

Can anybody else charm in on this?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:39 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by justinh20
General concensus was that it's an OK deal but we've seen much better.
what was better than 50K miles? I remember getting 75K bonus about 4 years ago. Was that it? Or did I miss plenty others?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:25 am

Application denied. Suggestions?

Applied last night for the card (Citi Platinum Select). Application was immediately denied. Not sure why, since my credit score is 760 to 780 (depending upon reporting bureau) and my other two Citi-issed credit cards (non-AAdvantage cards) are in perfect standing.

I've periodically had a Citi AAdvantage card in the past, but it's been over a year since I applied for one.

Any thoughts re. seeking reconsideration? Is Citi cracking down on churners?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gforce96
Applied last night for the card (Citi Platinum Select).Is Citi cracking down on churners?
According to the previous (and mysteriously closed) thread, yes:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ost-first.html

The wiki gives 18 months as the best estimate of the needed gap between approval times, with some variation.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
what was better than 50K miles? I remember getting 75K bonus about 4 years ago. Was that it? Or did I miss plenty others?
Yes but also 60k offers come up pretty regularly. That's what I'm waiting for.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:24 pm

As part of your AA aor don't forget to get 50K dividend miles here http://www.worldgotbigger.com/us-air...EMWELG#rewards which will become Aadvantage miles in 2015. No spend required for the 50K but you do have $89 annual fee.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes but also 60k offers come up pretty regularly. That's what I'm waiting for.
For the non-Exec AA card??? Since when? I don't remember any non-targeted ones above 50k for several years. The frequency at which you could churn them did change back and forth in the past couple years, but not the maximum size of the bonus that I recall.

Are you sure you're not getting it confused with the Exec card (which has a huge annual fee, not waived) and/or the Hilton HHonors cards (both of which have had 60k offers)? (In fact, the Exec card had a 100k offer, but it required huge spend quickly.)
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
For the non-Exec AA card??? Since when? I don't remember any non-targeted ones above 50k for several years. The frequency at which you could churn them did change back and forth in the past couple years, but not the maximum size of the bonus that I recall.

Are you sure you're not getting it confused with the Exec card (which has a huge annual fee, not waived) and/or the Hilton HHonors cards (both of which have had 60k offers)? (In fact, the Exec card had a 100k offer, but it required huge spend quickly.)
My memory matches sdsearch's. i haven't seen above 50k since I started paying attention in 2011 -- not for an annual-fee-waived generally available AAdvantage card. Of course it's possible I missed something (or several things...)
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:36 am

Yes, I meant the targeted offers for 60k, they seem pretty common.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:15 am

Targeted 60K offer

Received the 60K offer in the mail last week and pulled the trigger. Closed my previous AA card in March 2014 and was instantly approved.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I meant the targeted offers for 60k, they seem pretty common.
Only to those who get them. Which tend not be people who already have one or two these AA cards, of course!

Ie, someone who hasn't had any AA card for some time (or ever) may get it, but those who like to always have at least one AA card tend not to ever see them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.