Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by nullstring
FWIW, I didn't activate my first WE card and was eligible for a second bonus.

(I haven't received the bonus for card #2 yet but it does say "Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership." on the website.)

Looks like WE #2 is on the way and I am super tempted to triple dip but I'm a bit nervous to sour my relationship with citi. Looks like some of you are going for it.
Just be mindful of the 60 day rule....if the churn is on...assume we need to wait 65 days between each #3, #4, #5 personal World MCs?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:52 pm

FWIW, I didn't activate my first WE card and was eligible for a second bonus.

(I haven't received the bonus for card #2 yet but it does say "Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership." on the website.)

Looks like WE #2 is on the way and I am super tempted to triple dip but I'm a bit nervous to sour my relationship with citi. Looks like some of you are going for it.
I'm tempted as well..

I currently hold the:

Prestige
Premier
Forward
AA Plat #1
AA Plat #2
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I would double check that. They may very well be approved
How would you double check? When you apply for the CC, they ask you for the income, if you are a student, you are not going to have much income.

For those of you who is receiving targeted offers, How do you get targeted offers? By e-mail or by snail mail?

Also someone mentioned, they got card by chating with Citi, can you shed some light on how to get CC over chat?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
You know quite a lot of people churn the AA Executive every 2 months last year and 1st half this year. I myself had 6.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:28 pm

I was one of the fortunate that had his AA Plat MC converted to a MC elite. My annual fee is coming due in November so I took the opportunity to call and talk about retention offers. Basically I was told that if I didn't close the card today they'd offer me 3,000k aa miles after spending $500. I took the deal because it seemed like it was a quick 3k miles without preventing me from calling in for another retention come November.

I want to apply for another card but I don't want to pay the annual fee for the first card. I'm thinking about applying for a new AA Platinum card, then closing the first card and I'm wondering if the new card gets upgraded to a MC elite will it reset the 18 month waiting period even if I closed the first card?

TDLR could I get the bonus sooner than 18 months if:

#1 AA Platinum Card - Applied November 2014 - 50K bonus
18 months started
Converted to MC Elite in month 2.
18 months canceled
#2 AA Platinum Card - Apply October 2015 - 50K bonus
18 months started
Cancel card #1
18 months started
Assuming it would be converted to elite MC.
18 months canceled????

If you have any other suggestions let me know, I'm looking. Thank you!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Trust me and the experience of many others here. If a Citi relationship was able to be soured, we would have known about it a long time ago. But definitely do what you're comfortable with. I do!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
So what are we saying here? It's best to activate the new WE before applying again just to be safe? That sounds reasonable to me. I don't think I'm willing to chance otherwise without many more data points.
I don't think you have to, because the account online has changed (new name) and the new offer pops up. But I have waited every time.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by whoknew89
I was one of the fortunate that had his AA Plat MC converted to a MC elite. My annual fee is coming due in November so I took the opportunity to call and talk about retention offers. Basically I was told that if I didn't close the card today they'd offer me 3,000k aa miles after spending $500. I took the deal because it seemed like it was a quick 3k miles without preventing me from calling in for another retention come November.

I want to apply for another card but I don't want to pay the annual fee for the first card. I'm thinking about applying for a new AA Platinum card, then closing the first card and I'm wondering if the new card gets upgraded to a MC elite will it reset the 18 month waiting period even if I closed the first card?

TDLR could I get the bonus sooner than 18 months if:

#1 AA Platinum Card - Applied November 2014 - 50K bonus
18 months started
Converted to MC Elite in month 2.
18 months canceled
#2 AA Platinum Card - Apply October 2015 - 50K bonus
18 months started
Cancel card #1
18 months started
Assuming it would be converted to elite MC.
18 months canceled????

If you have any other suggestions let me know, I'm looking. Thank you!
Your course of the action seems valid. A couple of data points here show that closing of WE card does not prevent you for applying for a new W MC as far as 18 months rule is concerned.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by epaairnow
Just be mindful of the 60 day rule....if the churn is on...assume we need to wait 65 days between each #3, #4, #5 personal World MCs?
65 days works perfectly. I've had cards that change at stmt date, and some change about 10 days after the stmt date and 65 days still works.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Trust me and the experience of many others here. If a Citi relationship was able to be soured, we would have known about it a long time ago. But definitely do what you're comfortable with. I do!
This is the response I was hoping for.

Has anyone closed a WE card and been eligible for the bonus? I figure calls might start getting weird if I have to call retentions for a new AA plat card when I already have 5.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:26 pm

What is the difference in 3 links posted in wiki? They all seem to be for the same credit card i.e. Platinum select MC

I have had AA, World Platinum level, MC

Is it same as Platinum select? (As posted in wiki links)
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
What is the difference in 3 links posted in wiki? They all seem to be for the same credit card i.e. Platinum select MC

I have had AA, World Platinum level, MC

Is it same as Platinum select? (As posted in wiki links)
Yes, it's all the same. The 3 links are there because any of them could stop working at any moment, and then you'd want to have the remainder still there.

If you have a World (not a World Elite) AA Platinum MC, you can get another one with another 50k bonus if you opened it more than 18 months ago (and haven't closed another AA Platinum MC since either). I you don't have one now but had a World (not World Elite) MC in the past, you can only get another one with another 50k bonus if you closed your last one at least 18 months ago.

Ie, for the same card type, it's 18 months since another card of the type was last opened or closed. (It doesn't matter whether one is still open right now.) The only known exception is people who got their Citi AA Plat World MC cards converted (without asking) by Citi to World Elite MC.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
now.) The only known exception is people who got their Citi AA Plat World MC cards converted (without asking) by Citi to World Elite MC.
Yes, my platinum world was converted to World elite without asking. this account was closed in june 2014. does that mean I can apply for the platinum select and be eligible for bonus again?

Also If I get any of the Business card, that would be totally different and 18 months wait is not applicable. I have not had business card before.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Newyorker11
Yes, my platinum world was converted to World elite without asking. this account was closed in june 2014. does that mean I can apply for the platinum select and be eligible for bonus again?

Also If I get any of the Business card, that would be totally different and 18 months wait is not applicable. I have not had business card before.
Yes and Yes
Old Oct 9, 2015, 7:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Interesting data point that may be widely applicable and useful:

Given:
-Opening or closing a plat select resets 18 month window
-Conversion from World to WE seems to clear that setting making it fine to apply and be approved again
-Display of preapproved plat select seems to yield 100% approval

My experience and future plans:

-I had a converted W->WE which was closed earlier this year. I saw preapproved (offers you may be interested in) for plat select, applied, approved, letter mentioned 50k, 50k received.

-Wife's card appears to not have been converted to WE earlier this year and was closed. No display of preapproved. Applied for plat select via wyogold link (instead of the one from the wiki I used). No bonus mentioned, and we have not put any spend on it since receiving 1-2 months ago.

-Her account now shows online the "A new card has been mailed to you ..." that seems to be the indication that a conversion of W->WE has occurred. This just showed up in last few days.

-Preapproved now shows Plat select (yay! happy dance).

Interpretation:

-If you have had a World card not converted to WE and think you are stuck in the 18 month loop, then it *appears* that getting a new one, letting it age to convert from W->WE resets things to make you eligible for a new bonus on your next app.

I have haven't finished testing yet. Unfortunately in the mean time, we did a citi aa business app for her that was denied a week or so ago(!!) and haven't gotten around to HUCA. This has reset her citi app timer so will have to wait a few weeks to apply.

Will apply and report out come of bonus letter etc.

Admittedly there are some interpretation points that may not be correct, but if correct, would seem to be a way to unlock the 18mo window for people that were not W->WE converted.

Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.