Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:52 pm

can't elaborate now but HIGHLY recommend NOT using wyogold's link unless maybe your card was previously converted to world elite (like Appum).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by Appum
An update about my previous post, I finally received the card today. Registered it and I see the Graph showing the Bonus 50K miles after 3K spend. Just to re-iterate, I did close my first card which was converted to WE, back in May.
Originally Posted by brownie20
can't elaborate now but HIGHLY recommend NOT using wyogold's link unless maybe your card was previously converted to world elite (like Appum).
I can not see any reason to use the wyogold link if you were converted to WE.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just received a letter for my CitiBusiness AA card. They're removing the 5% mileage bonus and double miles on office supplies and replacing them with no FTF and double miles on gas purchases. It remains to be seen whether the double miles will occur for GC purchases, but if so it will be a net plus for me and I'll start using the card again. November 15, 2015.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by lw7878
Citi might tell you that your card is in the process of being converted to MasterCard. If so, they would not be able to do product change or downgrade your card. That was what I was told when tried to downgrade my VISA.
Yeah, exactly what they told me - called 2x and even spoke to a rep who argued on my behalf. No dice. They said I could call back in November or December after getting the new card and convert then, which would obviously defeat the purpose. I guess I have no option but to close the card and lose the credit age.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I applied on 9/7 too, was not automatically approved, got a phone call to call them back on 9/8, got approved after long hold on 9/8, got a letter 9/15 or later (didn't pick my mail up between 9/15 and 9/17) that )a) didn't count me as approved until 9/9, (b) mentioned the bonus, and (c) said to call them if my card did not arrive by 9/16. I waited until yesterday's (9/19) mail which still had no card to call them, and they said it had been delayed and I now should receive it by 9/24. (I am traveling again this week, so in fact won't get to check mailbox again until 9/24, so I really really hope it is there by then!)

I am in So Cal (you didn't explain either in your post or in your profile where you're based, and that can make some difference in Citi mailing timings).
Update: It still wasn't there on Thu 9/24! It finallly arrived on Fri 9/25. So Citi can't even estimate west coast delivery times correctly after admitting a delay!

Meanwhile, I had an AA flight I wanted to purchase before the Tue-Thu prices went away, and wanted to put it on this card to start the spend, so Thursday evening, after not getting the card as promised, I had to put the flight "on hold" at aa.com, and luckily with the card finally arriving the next day I was able to pay for the flight (while having Thursday's price for it)

Upon activating the card and setting up online access, my clock said I only had 88 days to complete the spend, because even their padding wasn't enough for this delayed sending of the card.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abcx
Yeah, exactly what they told me - called 2x and even spoke to a rep who argued on my behalf. No dice. They said I could call back in November or December after getting the new card and convert then, which would obviously defeat the purpose. I guess I have no option but to close the card and lose the credit age.
For future reference: Try not to depend on cards with annual fees or cards that you might want to churn for card age. Establish card age with cards that you won't be tempted to close because of either annual fee or running into changed churning rules. (And churning rules do change periodically at most banks eventually.) "Bland" cards that you keep mostly just for card age, only putting a little spend on them once or twice a year to keep the bank from closing them, can be the safest; the very fact that they seem "uninteresting" for any other reason makes them safer to keep a long time.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 4:02 pm

What do you mean exactly by "the new" Citi MC? Was it one you applied for explicitly online, or one that Citi converted from a Visa (or Amex) automatically without you asking for it? Automatic conversions from Visa (or Amex) to MC do show up on online before you receive them (see bjones2571's post above; they may show up online before they're even created!). But applications "from scratch" don't show up online, for one reason because which online account should they show up on (given that Citi lets you have an endless number of online accounts, and in fact requires separate online accounts in some cases)?
The one that Citi converted from a Visa automatically without my asking for it. I have 3 cards listed online: my old AAdvantage Platinum Select Amex and Visa, and the new MC. For the past month, charges on the Visa have been redirected to the MC.

I now see there's a note they mailed the MC and I should receive by 10/10/15.

I'm still not clear if it's too late to apply independently for the MC (in theory) for the bonus using the non-expired links (12) or (13) in the wiki? Presumably I'd have to do this before activating the new MC?
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:57 pm

Oh, yes, it was confusing. Look at what I put in red:
This means that you can get a Gold Mastercard (25K) and a Platinum Mastercard (50K) a week apart as long as you have not opened or closed an AA Personal MC in the past 18 months, even if you opened or closed an AA Personal Visa or AA Executive card in the last 18 months.
That's absolutely wrong as written, so I removed the above paragraph from FAQ 1 in the Wiki.

If someone wants to figure out how to fix the part I put in red (without making it too convoluted), then put it back into the wiki, fine. But as it was, it tried to be an example of what you can do and failed, because it used the oversimplified term "an AA Personal MC", and AA Gold, AA Plat, and AA Exec are all AA Personal MCs (yet opening or closing one of those types does not prevent you from getting another type!).

I think it's better to have no example at all, than to have a confusing / wrong example in the wiki.
No, it isn't wrong. If you have not opened or closed any Personal MC in the past 18 months, you should have no trouble opening a Gold and a Platinum MC a week apart. In addition, even if you opened/closed an Executive MC you should still be able to get one of each.

It is over-inclusive rather than under-inclusive. It also assumes that you understand that Personal MC means something different than Executive MC. That is why they are in different threads. But even if you don't understand that distinction, it is a correct statement.

Of course, it does not mention the 7(ish) and 60(ish) day rules, which are mentioned later in the FAQ, although it rather hints at the suspect 7-day rule. It also doesn't mention that you need to be at least 18, have good enough credit that Citi will issue you a card, residency requirements, and a bunch of other things.

While it may not be the most artfully written, it is not wrong at all. The problem is, the more you expound in the wiki in order to make things clearer the less people seem to read and understand the rules because they are too long and full of exceptions.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:23 pm

Update: It still wasn't there on Thu 9/24! It finallly arrived on Fri 9/25. So Citi can't even estimate west coast delivery times correctly after admitting a delay!

Meanwhile, I had an AA flight I wanted to purchase before the Tue-Thu prices went away, and wanted to put it on this card to start the spend, so Thursday evening, after not getting the card as promised, I had to put the flight "on hold" at aa.com, and luckily with the card finally arriving the next day I was able to pay for the flight (while having Thursday's price for it)

Upon activating the card and setting up online access, my clock said I only had 88 days to complete the spend, because even their padding wasn't enough for this delayed sending of the card.
Glad to know I'm not the only one getting delayed. I'm at 2 weeks, and still no sign of a card. Good thing we don't need the full 90 days to make the spend.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
It also assumes that you understand that Personal MC means something different than Executive MC.
I'm not sure where you're getting that from. An Exec card is still a personal card, just like a Platinum, Gold, Bronze, Double Cash, Dividend, or any of Citi's other personal products. It's not a business card, and it's not in its own special category. It is a personal card, plain and simple. And a random person reading the wiki certainly wouldn't have any reason to think otherwise.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq
No, it isn't wrong. If you have not opened or closed any Personal MC in the past 18 months, you should have no trouble opening a Gold and a Platinum MC a week apart. In addition, even if you opened/closed an Executive MC you should still be able to get one of each.

It is over-inclusive rather than under-inclusive. It also assumes that you understand that Personal MC means something different than Executive MC. That is why they are in different threads. But even if you don't understand that distinction, it is a correct statement.

Of course, it does not mention the 7(ish) and 60(ish) day rules, which are mentioned later in the FAQ, although it rather hints at the suspect 7-day rule. It also doesn't mention that you need to be at least 18, have good enough credit that Citi will issue you a card, residency requirements, and a bunch of other things.

While it may not be the most artfully written, it is not wrong at all. The problem is, the more you expound in the wiki in order to make things clearer the less people seem to read and understand the rules because they are too long and full of exceptions.
so if I have the platinum approved a week ago and i apply for the gold after teh 8 day mark, I wont get the 25k bonus upon completion of signup offer?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
so if I have the platinum approved a week ago and i apply for the gold after teh 8 day mark, I wont get the 25k bonus upon completion of signup offer?
The wiki answers this. Please read it. I'm begging you.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
The wiki answers this. Please read it. I'm begging you.
Perhaps we should just start copy-pasting the entire wiki every other post. Oh wait, I forgot, that's why we have a wiki!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Perhaps we should just start copy-pasting the entire wiki every other post. Oh wait, I forgot, that's why we have a wiki!
Maybe the admin can set to display the full wiki instead of collapsed one? The damn thing should be long enough to get a person's attention.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
There is no Wiki using the mobile version. I'm sure that's a big part of the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.