Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:51 pm

Sweet. Received my 2nd Plat card today and everything looks good to receiving that 2nd 50k bonus. Upon linking the card to my account, under points summary I see the "New Customer Bonus" progress bar.

On another note, say my 2nd plat card gets upgraded to World Elite in the near future, does that mean I'm able to shoot for the 3rd platinum bonus?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by winsteven13
Sweet. Received my 2nd Plat card today and everything looks good to receiving that 2nd 50k bonus. Upon linking the card to my account, under points summary I see the "New Customer Bonus" progress bar.
I never noticed the progress graph before, thanks. Although it is somewhat delayed as it only updates as of statement date.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
I never noticed the progress graph before, thanks. Although it is somewhat delayed as it only updates as of statement date.
I'm more glad about the date to be completed by than the bar. I use excel to keep track of my charges/churning.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:34 pm

I'm more glad about the date to be completed by than the bar. I use excel to keep track of my charges/churning.
It's also nice to have one more confirmation that one is qualified to earn the signup bonus.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
It's also nice to have one more confirmation that one is qualified to earn the signup bonus.
Yes, that's very useful. Saves a chat session or SM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
I heard someone claim that they got both the premier and prestige card only one day apart, which runs contrary to the 8/65 rule. My understanding from wiki is that the rule applies to all citi cards. Is there anything that may explain this exception?
As mentioned recently upthread, the "8" part of the 8/65 rule was never confirmed by Citi before (the way the "65" part was), it was just something that was found to be "safe". While there are a few anecdotes about people getting approved recently with waits of between 1 day and 7 days, it's not yet clear whether there's a value that's shorter than 8 which is "safe" for everyone. (And why would we want to update a "rule" that's reliable, even if it might be a bit conservative, to a "rule" that could turn out to be unreliable?)

Citi still doesn't allow 2 applications minutes apart AFAIK, and so having to wait 1 day means you get 2 separate pulls just as you would have had you waited 8 days or more. So unless you have some other compelling reason to apply between 1 and 7 days (such as being a guinea pig for us? ), why not wait 8+ days anyway. In case you want to apply for a third card later, the "65" parr of the 8/65 rule hasn't changed, so the sooner you apply for your second card, the longer you have to wait form the second card to the third card (since you still have to wait the same amount of time from the first card to the third card).
Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Traditionally, Citi has appeared to use the same pool for both personal and business cards. My last business app, however, had a very random line of credit, which was significantly less than my available credit with Citi. I wouldn't necessarily take that as an indication that there are different pools, though (unless others have similar experiences). I think it's probably just more of Citi being bad at math.

If you're having to call in to reallocate credit, you probably need to reduce the CLs on your current cards a few weeks before applying. Read the last ~5 pages of this thread for details if you're not familair with that.
Ok thanks. I think I'm going to just apply for a card now instead of waiting for my credit to clear up to not delay the 8/65 timeframe. I'll do it next go around.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's 18 months from the time you opened or closed the most recent card of the same type.
This new restriction (closing an account resets the 18-month clock) really sucks. I have a bunch of Citi AA Visa Signature cards and one Citi Aa Platinum Select MC. Citi has always made decent retention offers on all my cards, but the MC AF hit and for this one the reps say no offers are available (they sound genuinely surprised). Perhaps Citi is testing to see who actually cancels without a retention offer. I'd like to cancel to save the $95, but it seems if I do then I can't get a new card with 50k bonus for another 18 months.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:46 pm

So say my 2nd Plat card is converted from a World to World Elite, am I qualified to attain another 50k plat bonus?
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:09 pm

So say my 2nd Plat card is converted from a World to World Elite, am I qualified to attain another 50k plat bonus?
we think you should be able to get the bonus, but we have not seen many cases like this yet, so YMMV, if it was me i would take a chance and apply, of course if you don't mind the HP.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
we think you should be able to get the bonus, but we have not seen many cases like this yet, so YMMV, if it was me i would take a chance and apply, of course if you don't mind the HP.
I mean, I just received my 2nd Plat card and all paperwork points to me receiving the second set of 50k miles. Just curious if this loophole will work continuously..
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:43 am

I mean, I just received my 2nd Plat card and all paperwork points to me receiving the second set of 50k miles. Just curious if this loophole will work continuously..
Like Obama 2008: We have "HOPE". But seriously: Before June 1, 2015 all the serious players were churning Exec cards. Platinum cards had been very back burnered.

As of now, we know there is a bonus available for the first new MC (the old Visa doesn't count, at least until conversion). And a second bonus available after a World to World Elite conversion. Subsequent WE loophole bonus? Remains to be seen. But there are dozens if not hundreds of folks waiting to test that scenario. Watch for your WE conversion and Citi prequalified status and you may be the winner!
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:39 am

So here is my situation and question concerning World>WE loophole. I was approved for a Platinum Select MC in April of 2015 and recently after that I was upgraded to a WE MC. Now on the Citi pre-qualified page I am again offered a Citi Platinum Select. So it would seem like I'm good to apply… but up in the Wiki when it is discussing this it says this works if the card was converted to WE "prior to March 2015." Is that just conservative wording solely based off of current data points or is there some reason for me to believe this only works for conversions that occurred in March or earlier?
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:44 am
jk2

Off-topic question - is it only me or it is known, that Citi pulls a credit report from 2 agencies? I live in FL, and it was always a EQ pull (listed as CBNA), but I just got my Experian report (to count a HP) and noticed their inquires (I hitted exec card hard this year) too (listed as Citibank). No wonder, BoA recently rejected apps for too many inquires (always pulls Experian)...
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:48 am

Question about bonus miles being deposited in AA account

How long once you hit the minimum spend does it normally take to receive the bonus miles in your AA account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.