Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Duly noted. Do you use a particular service for your credit reports to count your pulls? I have only been doing it manually with an excel spreadsheet to track my credit pulls.
CreditKarma will let you view your full TransUnion and Equifax credit report for free and you can even update it every week. Experian is trickier. I currently track them with Protect My ID which was free for a year from the Target data breach, but I'm not aware of a free service for Experian.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, it's at Citi that it might affect it. Citi has a limit of how many inquiries it will tolerate (on whichever bureau they pull) in the past 6 months. For some people it's no more than 6, for some people it may be a bit different.

So if you're maxing out Citi with 2 cards every 65 days, that's close to 6 in 6 months (it's 6 in about 6.25 months), if Citi pulls a consistent bureau*, and so you may get denied by Citi itself if you also apply for enough cards from other banks that pull from the same bureau. (While you'd be safe if the only other cards you apply for are from banks that pull some other bureau.)

*There used to a pattern where in some states, Citi would pull from bureau X early in the month while pulling from bureau Y late in the month. We developed a theory at FT that maybe Citi had a contract with bureau X for a cheap rate on the first NNNNN pulls in a month, but after they exceeded NNNNN pulls, that cheap rate expired for the month, and that point bureau Y was cheaper for the rest of the month. I have no idea if this is still going on. (Too many people assume pulls are as simple as this bureau in this state for this bank, and build databases on that, but it's not necessarily that simple.) But anyone doing Citi apps 8 days apart or 65 days apart could test it for their area presumably by doing the first app toward the end of a month and the subsequent app(s) right after the start of the next month. (However, since Citi didn't do this everywhere back when it did it, you couldn't extrapolate from just one or two reports whether Citi was still doing this anywhere or not. It would mostly only be data useful to you.)

Total pulls across all bureaus are irrelevant, since no bank with cards FTers are likely to be interested in pulls from all 3 bureaus for each card.

So to be useful, you need to break pulls on a per-bureau (EX vs EQ vs TU) basis. A bank will only count the pulls on the bureau that that bank pulls. (Of course, by pulling your actual credit report, they can separately count the number of cards you've actually opened and closed, if they wish, but that's different from pulls.)

Thanks for the detailed reply. All of my apps (5 this yr and 1 in 2013) pulled Equifax for me in MA. My application dates were between 9th and 21st of the month. I may possibly for another citi Plat AA card later this year provided my current MC world gets converted to an MC Elite. My Gold MC got converted to MC elite few months back and I already closed it, Didnt find the 25K points worth another hard pull to apply for a another gold. We'll see
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:50 am

The World Elite card is a higher "level" of MasterCard (the way Signature is a higher "level" of Visa). It may require a minimum CL, for example, for Citi to consider giving you one.
This raises an interesting question. I know the minimum CL was just a guess, but it does make me wonder.

For anyone who's had a World converted to World Elite, had you reduced the CL on that card before the conversion? Or did it still have a large credit line? I know Exec cards, for example, were all World Elite, and had a minimum credit line of $5k. I'm just wondering if reducing below that point could have disqualified you for automatic conversion. I checked our dates, and we reduced the CL on the only card we've had converted from World to World Elite the day after it was converted (and we didn't even know the conversion had taken place). Talk about timing.

I normally reduce CL on plats to 3k, but I don't think I'll be reducing my most recent card below $5k (maybe even a higher number).
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
Approved for Platinum MC 6/8/15. Upgraded from World to World Elite a few weeks ago.

When checking preapproved offers I get the following:

"We couldn't match your records to a Pre-Qualified credit card offer. See below for 4 other cards you may like.
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World MasterCard®"

This is a 30,000 miles/ $1,000 spend offer. "This offer is only valid for new accounts."

Am I able to apply for a 50,000 mile offer and be approved?
Originally Posted by MadMadso
I did and got the 50k.
Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
I applied late last night; approved today via chat on the app status page. Confirmed 50,000 bonus. App via link 13.
Very useful info, and probably a question we'll see asked a lot. Quoting to put it all in one place for future reference.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:54 am

Well, I've never gotten such an email, only snail mail. And I've lowered the CL on a bunch of Citi AA and Citi HH cards through SM.

I have my preferences set to paper statements (I keep declining their offers to go to online statements only). I wonder if they send the "change in your limit" notification by email if you have only online statements but by snail mail if you have paper statements?
It looks like everybody who's weighed in on this gets paper statements. My wife & I are electronic only with Citi on all of our cards, across 6 different Citi online logins. We get letters in the mail confirming our credit limit reductions, and have never gotten an email. The only thing I can think of is that it may vary by state - some may have a requirement for it to be mailed, or something like that.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
This raises an interesting question. I know the minimum CL was just a guess, but it does make me wonder.

For anyone who's had a World converted to World Elite, had you reduced the CL on that card before the conversion? .
Wife received her most recent (World) Platinum in late July with only a $1,500 credit line at opening. She will probably take 3 statements to reach $3,000 spend as it's just in daily spend use, so she's a month or two from a potential World Elite conversion anyway. She will be watching closely for status update that would indicate conversion, as well as when and if an offer shows up on the Citi prequalified search. Stay tuned!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I opened the World MasterCard about 3 weeks ago. I called today for a routine question and verified that I would get the bonus of 50K (I had verified at time of application and was told yes). Now I'm told no as I cancelled the same card back in February of 2014 (my bad but I didn't remember that one). Had I known I would have waited another month to apply for this card.

Now.....If I can get them to change this to a World Elite would that mean that if I wait the 65 days from my last application which would then be at least 18 months from cancelling the old card that I would be eligible for the new card with the bonus??

Thanks
what did the approval letter say? was there a mention of the 50k bonus? i would check that, as the CSRs can be wrong.

Technically you can wait and see if your card get converted to world elite then the 18 months Should count from the previous card, but this is an unknown territory since its new to all of us, some people are checking the qualified citi page to see if the platinum card shows up as an option card to apply for, they take that as an indication that they will get the bonus, but who knows!!!
we really don't know for sure how things will turn out but i would wait a couple of months and roll the dice if the card gets upgraded to world elite. good luck.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:01 pm

FYI http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...spend-tracker/
I can see the progress towards my second AA plat MC, although it only updates after statement close date
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24

For anyone who's had a World converted to World Elite, had you reduced the CL on that card before the conversion? Or did it still have a large credit line? I know Exec cards, for example, were all World Elite, and had a minimum credit line of $5k. I'm just wondering if reducing below that point could have disqualified you for automatic conversion. I checked our dates, and we reduced the CL on the only card we've had converted from World to World Elite the day after it was converted (and we didn't even know the conversion had taken place). Talk about timing.

I normally reduce CL on plats to 3k, but I don't think I'll be reducing my most recent card below $5k (maybe even a higher number).
I remember when My Citi Gold AA got converted from MC World to MC World Elite it only had a limit of $3700. I never touched the credit line of this card.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:09 pm

I opened the World MasterCard about 3 weeks ago. I called today for a routine question and verified that I would get the bonus of 50K (I had verified at time of application and was told yes). Now I'm told no as I cancelled the same card back in February of 2014
How was the bad news delivered? Did you make a second call that same day?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
He/she is using "verified" to mean "checked" (as in e.g. "trust but verify") rather than its more common meaning of "confirmed".

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 21, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 6:05 pm

No bonus

Originally Posted by beltway

I was told that Citi had instituted an 18 month wait because some people were opening and closing cards only for the miles. They told me I had closed the same card in February of -014 and since it was not 18 months I would not get the bonus.

Not sure what opening and closing means as between my wife and I we have on,y done this about 12 times in the last year .
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I was told that Citi had instituted an 18 month wait because some people were opening and closing cards only for the miles. They told me I had closed the same card in February of -014 and since it was not 18 months I would not get the bonus.

Not sure what opening and closing means as between my wife and I we have only done this about 12 times in the last year .
Ah, so you're keeping your churning down to a conservative level then.

Wait, it sounds like you only missed the 18 months by a few weeks then. You might be able to wait until the full 18 months are up, then call Recon, have them reopen the app, and get it approved. Not guaranteed, but it's a free call.

Last edited by mia; Aug 22, 2015 at 12:36 pm Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Wait, it sounds like you only missed the 18 months by a few weeks then. You might be able to wait until the full 18 months are up, then call Recon, have them reopen the app, and get it approved. Not guaranteed, but it's a free call.

I did only miss t by a few weeks but I did get the new card. Since I have it can recon do anything for me? I was thinking that if I was able to convert the new card to the World Elite that the time clock will have been reset back to my last cancel date in Feb of 2014.

Any suggestions on the best strategy?
Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:37 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I received my Platinum approval on March 9, 2015 but couldn't remember what kind of card I originally received (Barclays and Citi have been sending me replacement cards more than any other bank I have dealt with).

My current card is World Elite, but my approval letter shows just World.

Does anyone know if this means I was converted and can apply for another one?

Last edited by bigshooter; Aug 22, 2015 at 11:47 am Reason: correct approval date

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.