Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Closed Thread

Old Aug 20, 15, 9:29 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Does this also apply for CitiBusiness card?
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by sfkhan View Post
Does this also apply for CitiBusiness card?
It's not clear what "this" is in your question. Please read the wiki at the top of this page, which probably answers it.
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, USAir, UA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by beltway View Post
It's not clear what "this" is in your question. Please read the wiki at the top of this page, which probably answers it.
Im sorry I should be more clear. Im referring to the product change from World to World Elite by Citi and being able to apply for the Plat again. Does this also apply to the citiBusiness card as well?
Old Aug 20, 15, 10:43 am

Programs: AA LT Plat
Im sorry I should be more clear. Im referring to the product change from World to World Elite by Citi and being able to apply for the Plat again. Does this also apply to the citiBusiness card as well?
No.
Old Aug 20, 15, 11:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, UR, SPG, Hilton - Diamond, IHG - (Plat Amb) Spire Amb
On this topic of world/world elite etc

What if you had the World card and did not definitively have your card converted to world elite (don't we did but not sure).

However as pachinko799 mentioned, I see the prequalified 30k offer displayed when I check for additional offers. I think I will try ... any experience from anyone in this situation.
Old Aug 20, 15, 11:46 am

There were recent data-points of people getting the business and personal card on the same day. How did that not violate the Citi Apprule?
Old Aug 20, 15, 12:28 pm

*sigh*

As the wiki makes clear, the rules for biz cards are different in numerous ways that would make such conversions (if they were happening, which I believe they are not) irrelevant. In short,

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
No.
Old Aug 20, 15, 1:05 pm

Hmm just a thought. Say if someone completed their minimum spending AFTER they were converted to the World Elite, would they still be qualify for the 2nd bonus?
Old Aug 20, 15, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by winsteven13 View Post
Hmm just a thought. Say if someone completed their minimum spending AFTER they were converted to the World Elite, would they still be qualify for the 2nd bonus?
I don't see any reason why not. The key in every case (for the personal cards) seems to be whether your bonus is confirmed on the welcome letter from Citi.
Old Aug 20, 15, 1:54 pm

Perhaps a slightly off-topic question for the people who are apply for citi cards every 8/65/ days. How does this affect your credit history? I have 5 hard pulls from citi just in 2015 (3 personal, and 2 business).
Old Aug 20, 15, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello View Post
Perhaps a slightly off-topic question for the people who are apply for citi cards every 8/65/ days. How does this affect your credit history? I have 5 hard pulls from citi just in 2015 (3 personal, and 2 business).
every application will most likely cause an inquiry (unless you get denied for violating the 65 day rule) the inquiry will show on your credit report, it will be there for 2 years, its up to you to decide how many you want to show up on your report, i personally have 9 inquiries in the last (6) months. If you have a concern about your credit score you probably should take it easy and apply for 1-4 cards a year.
Old Aug 20, 15, 6:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ninim2200 View Post
every application will most likely cause an inquiry (unless you get denied for violating the 65 day rule) the inquiry will show on your credit report, it will be there for 2 years, its up to you to decide how many you want to show up on your report, i personally have 9 inquiries in the last (6) months. If you have a concern about your credit score you probably should take it easy and apply for 1-4 cards a year.
my example:

HPs:
6 month:11
12 month: 24
Credit limit across all cards = 2x my 6 digit income
FICO 818
credit history over 20 years with one cc on my credit report.

I started reading up on this fall of 2013, 1st applications beginning 3/2014.
Old Aug 20, 15, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello View Post
Actually, it's at Citi that it might affect it. Citi has a limit of how many inquiries it will tolerate (on whichever bureau they pull) in the past 6 months. For some people it's no more than 6, for some people it may be a bit different.

So if you're maxing out Citi with 2 cards every 65 days, that's close to 6 in 6 months (it's 6 in about 6.25 months), if Citi pulls a consistent bureau*, and so you may get denied by Citi itself if you also apply for enough cards from other banks that pull from the same bureau. (While you'd be safe if the only other cards you apply for are from banks that pull some other bureau.)

*There used to a pattern where in some states, Citi would pull from bureau X early in the month while pulling from bureau Y late in the month. We developed a theory at FT that maybe Citi had a contract with bureau X for a cheap rate on the first NNNNN pulls in a month, but after they exceeded NNNNN pulls, that cheap rate expired for the month, and that point bureau Y was cheaper for the rest of the month. I have no idea if this is still going on. (Too many people assume pulls are as simple as this bureau in this state for this bank, and build databases on that, but it's not necessarily that simple.) But anyone doing Citi apps 8 days apart or 65 days apart could test it for their area presumably by doing the first app toward the end of a month and the subsequent app(s) right after the start of the next month. (However, since Citi didn't do this everywhere back when it did it, you couldn't extrapolate from just one or two reports whether Citi was still doing this anywhere or not. It would mostly only be data useful to you.)

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen View Post
HPs:
6 month:11
12 month: 24
Total pulls across all bureaus are irrelevant, since no bank with cards FTers are likely to be interested in pulls from all 3 bureaus for each card.

So to be useful, you need to break pulls on a per-bureau (EX vs EQ vs TU) basis. A bank will only count the pulls on the bureau that that bank pulls. (Of course, by pulling your actual credit report, they can separately count the number of cards you've actually opened and closed, if they wish, but that's different from pulls.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 20, 15 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 21, 15, 8:49 am

Clarification-Assistance

I opened the World MasterCard about 3 weeks ago. I called today for a routine question and verified that I would get the bonus of 50K (I had verified at time of application and was told yes). Now I'm told no as I cancelled the same card back in February of 2014 (my bad but I didn't remember that one). Had I known I would have waited another month to apply for this card.

Now.....If I can get them to change this to a World Elite would that mean that if I wait the 65 days from my last application which would then be at least 18 months from cancelling the old card that I would be eligible for the new card with the bonus??

Thanks
Old Aug 21, 15, 8:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Actually, it's at Citi that it might affect it. Citi has a limit of how many inquiries it will tolerate (on whichever bureau they pull) in the past 6 months. For some people it's no more than 6, for some people it may be a bit different.

So if you're maxing out Citi with 2 cards every 65 days, that's close to 6 in 6 months (it's 6 in about 6.25 months), if Citi pulls a consistent bureau*, and so you may get denied by Citi itself if you also apply for enough cards from other banks that pull from the same bureau. (While you'd be safe if the only other cards you apply for are from banks that pull some other bureau.)

*There used to a pattern where in some states, Citi would pull from bureau X early in the month while pulling from bureau Y late in the month. We developed a theory at FT that maybe Citi had a contract with bureau X for a cheap rate on the first NNNNN pulls in a month, but after they exceeded NNNNN pulls, that cheap rate expired for the month, and that point bureau Y was cheaper for the rest of the month. I have no idea if this is still going on. (Too many people assume pulls are as simple as this bureau in this state for this bank, and build databases on that, but it's not necessarily that simple.) But anyone doing Citi apps 8 days apart or 65 days apart could test it for their area presumably by doing the first app toward the end of a month and the subsequent app(s) right after the start of the next month. (However, since Citi didn't do this everywhere back when it did it, you couldn't extrapolate from just one or two reports whether Citi was still doing this anywhere or not. It would mostly only be data useful to you.)

Total pulls across all bureaus are irrelevant, since no bank with cards FTers are likely to be interested in pulls from all 3 bureaus for each card.

So to be useful, you need to break pulls on a per-bureau (EX vs EQ vs TU) basis. A bank will only count the pulls on the bureau that that bank pulls. (Of course, by pulling your actual credit report, they can separately count the number of cards you've actually opened and closed, if they wish, but that's different from pulls.)

Duly noted. Do you use a particular service for your credit reports to count your pulls? I have only been doing it manually with an excel spreadsheet to track my credit pulls.

Search this Thread