Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Originally Posted by ComeSailAway
Quick question about the 60-day rule (just want to make sure my understanding is correct):

I applied for an AA card on 3/10 and activated it on 3/16
I applied for a Hilton (no-fee) card on 7/8 and activated it on 7/17

I should be fine to apply for the Hilton Reserve card at any time, since it would be the second application in a 60-day window? Or am I understanding it wrong and still need to wait until at least 9/8 to apply for it?
You're fine to apply for another card since it would be the second in 60 days.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:29 am

Dammit... No instant approval and live rep couldn't push it either (asked to wait few days). As of now not declined but I am not sure how this one goes. Well beyond the 60 day rule and only got 2 other cards in last 90 days.

EDIT : Approved without second recon after 4 days of applying

Last edited by coolblues; Aug 5, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by nrdk
So I'm very confused. I just applied for and received my 2nd AA World MC (19 months after last AA MC), however from posts on this thread it sounds like I can reapply shortly and receive another 50k card after the first is upgraded to WE MC, correct?

@points traveler - Which link did you do your second application using?
I used link 11
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
applied for: 50K/$3K CitiBusiness card
application date: today
Link used: #8
Last CitiBusiness app: early Nov. 2014 (50K/$3K)
decision: instant approval
bonus: 50K/$3K confirmed by phone

As clearly stated in the wiki, business cards are extremely YMMV. However, as far as my own experience is concerned, landing page language does not matter and there is no difference in practice between link #8 and dead links #1-#2. I've received business cards every 92-93 days for some time.
Any recent data points on 18 month language not counting on business apps as I am preparing for my next round of apps and would like to start planning ahead?

Last edited by flew-d-coop; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:37 am

I just applied and was approved for the Personal Platinum MC. No where in the application process was I able to enter my AAdvantage number. I used the pre-qualified offer and not the one listed here. I'm assuming I'll have to call and get them to link it to my current account.

EDIT: The pre-qualified offer does not contain the 'Membership Information' box like the link above does. Oh well, I'll get them to add it once I receive the card.

Last edited by chasewalker; Jul 31, 2015 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
Any recent data points on 18 month language not counting on business apps as I am preparing for my next round of apps and would like to start planning ahead?
I don't think there is any 18 month language on business cards, as the wiki states you may Apply once every 91-95 days. i would follow the wiki and hope for the best. business cards are still YMMV when it comes to churnabilty.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
This:
Originally Posted by ninim2200
I don't think there is any 18 month language on business cards
Correct.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200
I don't think there is any 18 month language on business cards, as the wiki states you may Apply once every 91-95 days. i would follow the wiki and hope for the best. business cards are still YMMV when it comes to churnabilty.
You are correct, I got confused reading all the different offers. It only states "first time CitiBusiness" and I've been able to get past that gatekeeper before (fingers crossed it works again). Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the difference between link 4c and 11?

The URLs of application pages definitely are not the same.

There is one successful report using 4c, and one successful report using 11, both are World to World Elite then reapply the MC and got the letter with the right language. Success with 4c is particular interesting as the conversion is fairly recently, while success with 11 was a March conversion.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 31, 2015 at 7:10 pm
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:00 pm

Date points:

Applied on 15 January for personal Platinum WORLD MC. This was upgraded to World Elite in March.

Applied for a new Platinum on 26 July which went to pending, called recon who said I was declined.
Received email on 30 July, Approved!!! Nice surprise.
Received letter today, 31 July which contains the 50,000 bonus miles^

9 inquiries in the last 6 months, 12 inquiries in the last 7 months

Used link 11

Last edited by expatinwa; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:01 pm Reason: Used link 11
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Happy
What is the difference between link 4c and 11?

The URLs of application pages definitely are not the same.

There is one successful report using 4c, and one successful report using 11, both are World to World Elite then reapply the MC and got the letter with the right language. Success with 4c is particular interesting as the conversion is fairly recently, while success with 11 was a March conversion.
I can't help you with the links, but can provide a data point.

Applied 10/14 for 1st Platinum M/C. Was upgraded from World to World Elite (and Platinum to Platinum Select)

Applied 7/15 (link 11). Letter confirms bonus. Received a World M/C (platinum select)

I am confused. Did I get the bonus because my first card is now considered a world elite and so by getting the world again it's not the same card?
Or did I get the bonus because my first card was a platinum and this card is a platinum select.

If it's the first case, then we should be able to product change and then get the bonus again, bypassing the 18 mo rule. (And if they upgrade this card, I should be able to apply again).

If it's the second case, then world to world elite means nothing. It's because this is a new product for me because last time I had a platinum card, and it's the original product that counts. Does anyone know or have confirming data points?
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by theoracle111
New poster but long time luker. I have the 50K AA Personal MC, got it over 60 days ago, and recently applied for the 50K AA Business.

I applied for the 50K AA Business as a sole prop., which in my experience is slightly more difficult as the verifications backend these companies use sometimes trip up matching personal information with business credit scores/information.

What stuck out to me is how ridiculous the application process is with Citi. I was denied & told to wait for Snail Mail. Unsatisfied with this, I called and entered in my app ID, which told me that I was denied because my latest inquiry was too recent.

Surprised and knowing this was not in line with the 60 day rule posted on this forum-I reached out to the supervisor who was almost offended I had not waited for the letter. She told me she didn't know my status and I'd have to wait. After telling her the automated system said I was denied for too recent of an inquiry, she informed me that was not the case but would not tell me why I was actually denied (somehow now she magically knew the details of my denial). She also added that no one should have told me why I was denied.

She said I would have to call the number on the letter, but finished the call saying Citi has no reconsideration line (?) & that they would just confirm there was no error.

Maybe its because I'm young, but I find this whole process antiquated & ridiculous. Why do I need to wait for a physical letter? Its like living in the early 20th century. On top of that, Citi doesn't expedite the shipping its card (a nice touch other companies do-which I understand is going above and beyond). All said and done it will almost 4 weeks to get this card.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Did you call recon, or just the number that the application status page told you to call? Recon generally has more power, and is, at least in my experience, more willing & able to help. You may want to give them a call.

And someone can usually tell you why you were denied over the phone. They may or may not be correct, but you can usually get an answer. The correct answer will be in the letter.

And yes, much of their process is antiquated and ridiculous. But it's that same "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing" silliness that has allowed us all to get so many cards over the years, including multiples of the same kind, 2 cards in 8 days, 12 cards a year, etc. It's annoying when you run up against the bad side of it, but the good side is extremely lucrative.

Originally Posted by coolblues
Dammit... No instant approval and live rep couldn't push it either (asked to wait few days). As of now not declined but I am not sure how this one goes. Well beyond the 60 day rule and only got 2 other cards in last 90 days.
I'm assuming "live rep" means online chat. Did you call recon? That seems to be the group they're sometimes waiting on. They're credit underwriters, with the ability to make real decisions.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:18 am

Landing page for link 15 (business card application good through 7/31) appears to be dead, but the application itself is still loading. Let's hope this is another zombie link that sticks around for a long time.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ComeSailAway
Quick question about the 60-day rule (just want to make sure my understanding is correct):

I applied for an AA card on 3/10 and activated it on 3/16
I applied for a Hilton (no-fee) card on 7/8 and activated it on 7/17

I should be fine to apply for the Hilton Reserve card at any time, since it would be the second application in a 60-day window? Or am I understanding it wrong and still need to wait until at least 9/8 to apply for it?
65 days is safer than 60 (since Citi can't count correctly), but you're ok, 65 days is only the timing to your third application from your first application. The minimum timing for your second application from your first application is 8 days.

Or put another way:

No more than 1 application in any 8 day period.

No more than 2 applications in any 65 day period.

Since you only have one application in the past 65 days and zero applications in the past 8 days, you sound good to go for another Citi application right now.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MadMadso
I can't help you with the links, but can provide a data point.

Applied 10/14 for 1st Platinum M/C. Was upgraded from World to World Elite (and Platinum to Platinum Select)

Applied 7/15 (link 11). Letter confirms bonus. Received a World M/C (platinum select)

I am confused. Did I get the bonus because my first card is now considered a world elite and so by getting the world again it's not the same card?
Or did I get the bonus because my first card was a platinum and this card is a platinum select.

If it's the first case, then we should be able to product change and then get the bonus again, bypassing the 18 mo rule. (And if they upgrade this card, I should be able to apply again).

If it's the second case, then world to world elite means nothing. It's because this is a new product for me because last time I had a platinum card, and it's the original product that counts. Does anyone know or have confirming data points?
You cannot product change to World Elite. There is no such product offer but is an upgrade of benefit from Mastercard World to Mastercard World Elite - it is not a Citi distinction but a Mastercard level. Note: Barclays Arrival Plus is a World Elite card to start for many applicants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.