Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for outlining pros and cons.
Do you mean that having an open card long term does not preclude me from getting another bonus - if so i've been misinterpreting 18 mo rule.
The card i have wss open 2 yr ago and new annual fee just posted. Does it mean i can apply for another plat card and get bonus even with this one still open?

Originally Posted by beltway
That depends on a) how long you've had the card open and b) your confidence in recent retention-offer reports as a predictor of future retention offers.

If it has been only a few months since you opened/closed your last Plat card, the cost of closing one now is comparatively low (adding a few months to the wait).

However, a great many FTers report that Citi is pretty generous with waivers of the annual fee, so if you're worried about having to pay an AF to avoid closing a card & resetting the 18-month clock, that may not be a very significant risk. If your current card is nearing its anniversary, you're almost certainly better off waiting until your AF posts & then testing the retention-offer waters. IMO the cost of a hasty cancellation (resetting your 18-month clock from, say, 10 or 11 months back to zero) is unnecessarily high if you can simply wait another month or two for good odds of an AF waiver (& thus no clock reset at all).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
Do you mean that having an open card long term does not preclude me from getting another bonus - if so i've been misinterpreting 18 mo rule.
The card i have wss open 2 yr ago and new annual fee just posted. Does it mean i can apply for another plat card and get bonus even with this one still open?
This is covered in the wiki above under
3. Do I need to close existing cards before applying?
Short answer: for personal cards, no.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:15 am

Well crap. I got my letter today telling me that my Plat visa is being converted to a MC. Does that mean the conversion is already in progress, and that my clock has been reset? It says my new card will arrive in 4-6 weeks.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
This is what mine says:

We have reissued a new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® with the same account number as your current card. A new card is being mailed and should arrive soon.

I'm guessing it's not a conversion
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
This is what mine says:

We have reissued a new Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® with the same account number as your current card. A new card is being mailed and should arrive soon.

I'm guessing it's not a conversion
I'm assuming your current card is a MC, not a Visa? Mine says:
What else is changing:
-Your account number
-Your expiration date and security code

It also mentions losing access to Visa features & gaining MC features. Looks like we got different letters.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by bobert24
I'm assuming your current card is a MC, not a Visa? Mine says:
What else is changing:
-Your account number
-Your expiration date and security code

It also mentions losing access to Visa features & gaining MC features. Looks like we got different letters.
beltway mentioned a few posts above that they applied the day after the conversion and still got the bonus, so you may want to act asap.

Mine is a Visa. To update, just sent Citi a SM to ask and they confirmed it is simply a replacement Visa, not a MC conversion. They mentioned the conversion won't happen until end of August for me. Sounds like if there will be a conversion then the account number will change.

Last edited by frudd38; Jul 20, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
Well crap. I got my letter today telling me that my Plat visa is being converted to a MC. Does that mean the conversion is already in progress, and that my clock has been reset? It says my new card will arrive in 4-6 weeks.
Don't overthink this. Just SM Citi & ask what the conversion date will be (or was). They'll tell you.

beltway mentioned a few posts above that they applied the day after the conversion and still got the bonus, so you may want to act asap.
Yep, I applied 1 day after the official conversion to MC of an older Visa.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:35 pm

Mine is a Visa. To update, just sent Citi a SM to ask and they confirmed it is simply a replacement Visa, not a MC conversion. They mentioned the conversion won't happen until end of August for me. Sounds like if there will be a conversion then the account number will change.
Don't overthink this. Just SM Citi & ask what the conversion date will be (or was). They'll tell you.

Yep, I applied 1 day after the official conversion to MC of an older Visa.
My reaction was a little more than it should have been - I actually just got my latest platinum (MC) this week. I was just disappointed because I thought I was more on top of it than that. Figured we could generate some useful data points about the conversion.

I was planning to convert this card to a no-fee card, so I called to do that. Apparently the conversion to MC is already underway - they were unable to convert this card, because it's already undergoing another conversion. The CSR was unable to tell me what the conversion date would be. I sent an SM earlier, asking for my conversion date, but haven't gotten a response yet. No big deal on this account, but I'm going to need to get some other family member cards converted ASAP.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:48 pm

For business cards, yes?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by wonderboy
For business cards, yes?
This is also covered in the wiki, just like the previous question answered by beltway that you quoted.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - somehow i overlooked that.

One more question - do rejections reset 18 mo clock? I know they count for 8/65 day timer but the 18 mo rule seems to have card opened or closed language rather than card applications. Can anyone confirm?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
I applied using 8b back on June 23, met spend, and only 30k points posted to my account. That sucks.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I applied using 8b back on June 23, met spend, and only 30k points posted to my account. That sucks.
Interesting. I applied using 8b on June 9 and, although I haven't finished the spend yet, I confirmed by SM that I would get 50K miles.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by ricohitman
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Interesting. I applied using 8b on June 9 and, although I haven't finished the spend yet, I confirmed by SM that I would get 50K miles.
My theory: the previous poster mistakenly clicked through the old landing page (which, as noted in the wiki, now points to the lower offer) instead of the zombie application page, which has died since then.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azepine00
Is there a compelling reason to keep plat select card if one already has barclays?
Given that you're likely to be able to keep it for free:
Is there any reason not to keep the plat select until you're ready (at 18 months) to aplpy for a new one?

Btw, there's recent reports of similar success on the AF of the Avaiator card:
but we'll have to see if that continues later in the year once the Blue card ($50 annual fee) is available for a downgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.