Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:56 am

Closed my Citibusiness account on 6/30, applied on 7/1 for a new one, was declined because this offer is only for new Citibusiness account holders. Perhaps I should have waited longer between closing and applying.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Brugge
Are there any data points that a non-activated card is not considered an "opened card" for clock purposes?
Unfortunately I was in the same situation. I did not activate the card and closed the account. My credit report reflected it as a closed account .
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
2 options that are much faster. Send SM and ask for a refund check and other option is to just xfer credit to a card that has a balance currently.
One more option is a Direct Deposit to your bank account - you do need to provide the bank routing number and account number. Direct deposit shows up in 2 business days in our experiences.

I never understand why some folks keep having trouble to either lowering the credit lines or to cancel cards.

There is NO NEED to be exact wordings. I manually type everything each time, just tell them you understand you could not request credit line increase in next 6 months on this specific card. Then there is no such back and forth posted above. The lowering act happened between a few minutes to a few hours but there is never another SM other than the confirmation that has been DONE.

Ditto for cancelling a card. A very basic sentence - I would like to close my AAdvantage card ending xxxx. Thank you for your assistance.

In one occasion the cancellation came within 2 minutes. Rep must pick up the SM right away.

I dont think this is handled by computer based on the various time lapses between sending an SM and getting things done.

Though I do see some folks tend to make simple things more complicated and seem to enjoy the process, as if there are some knowledge to be gained when there is none.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohyonghao
Closed my Citibusiness account on 6/30, applied on 7/1 for a new one, was declined because this offer is only for new Citibusiness account holders. Perhaps I should have waited longer between closing and applying.
Have you been able to get a new biz card this way in the recent past?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
How exactly have you been phrasing your credit limit lowering SMs? The thing they ask for confirmation on is not that you want to lower the credit limit, but that you understand that you may not be able to increase the credit limit for 6 months after this. The problem is that every time I try to say I already know that in my original SM, they still ask me (usually in slightly different wording) to confirm that (as if only a computer read my SM, didn't understand my phrasing, and so threw it away and asks me what I thought I had already answered before).

Here's my most recent exchange (read from the bottom up):

Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We have processed your request for a Credit Line Decrease. Your new credit line is $2,000.00. You will receive a letter of confirmation by mail in 7 to 10 days.

If there is any way we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Subject: please lower credit limit on -XXXX
Date: June NN, 2015 X:XX EST

Yes, I understand the limitation, and I still want to proceed with lowering the credit limit to $2000. Thank you. -- sdsearch

Subject: Re: please lower credit limit on -XXXX

Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

We received your request to lower your credit limit to $2000.00. We must inform you that if we complete this process, your account may not be eligible for a higher credit limit for six months.

If you are still interested, please notify us by replying to this message.

If there is any way we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Hi, Please lower the credit limit on this Visa ending in XXXX to $2000. I understand that I will not be able to increase the credit limit for 6 months after this, and I want to proceed anyway. Thanks. -- sdsearch

Please note: In my case, these are credit limit lowerings done long after the card has been opened (months or even years). It may work differently if you SM to lower the credit limit immediately after card opening, I dunno.
You are making things far more complicated than they should have been.

Just tell them this

I would like to lower the credit line of my card ending xxxx, from xx,xxx to x,xxx.
I understand I would not be able to request an increase on this card in the next 6 months.
Thank you for the assistance.

I guarantee you the next time you hear from them, is the confirmation of the line has been lowered. Sometimes they dont even bother to send it, but most of the time they do send a confirmation SM. It could happen in less than 15 minutes after you send the request.

Surprised after being on these threads for so long you have missed this technique that have been long used by many.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Thanks. I read about last 50 pages but couldn't find any reports that state that whoever got the bonus in Feb. 2015 and later, was denied for bonus again. My app for Platinum MC was in Feb. 2015. Since I already got all possible cards from Citi (and there are no more churnable cards left) I probably take a risk and apply again.
Do let us know because I distinctly remember the denial post or even 2 of them for people whose conversion was after Feb. The reason I remember is because my husband's was converted in March.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:53 am

Here's my most recent exchange (read from the bottom up):

Hi, Please lower the credit limit on this Visa ending in XXXX to $2000. I understand that I will not be able to increase the credit limit for 6 months after this, and I want to proceed anyway. Thanks. -- sdsearch
Originally Posted by Happy
You are making things far more complicated than they should have been.

Just tell them this

I would like to lower the credit line of my card ending xxxx, from xx,xxx to x,xxx.
I understand I would not be able to request an increase on this card in the next 6 months.
Thank you for the assistance.

I guarantee you the next time you hear from them, is the confirmation of the line has been lowered. Sometimes they dont even bother to send it, but most of the time they do send a confirmation SM. It could happen in less than 15 minutes after you send the request.

Surprised after being on these threads for so long you have missed this technique that have been long used by many.
Um, isn't that almost EXACTLY what sdsearch did say? Why exactly are you busting his chops?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:11 pm

For ppl that have closed their business AA cards and master account. Do you still this message when you log on

This account has been converted to a new number or was closed at your request. To access information related to your new account, register the new number and access it with your same user ID and password. If you have any questions regarding your account, please contact our Customer Service Center.

Does this prevent you from getting another business card. (8/65/95 day limit met)

I closed my business card on 6/30/15 {opened on 1/15/15} I know its YMMV, but just wondering if I am safe to use the 8b link to reapply
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkMColo
Um, isn't that almost EXACTLY what sdsearch did say? Why exactly are you busting his chops?
Ooops, I did not catch his post is to be read from the Bottom Up. Apologies.

Upon further reading, it is not quite EXACTLY the same thing.

May be he used the phrase of "I will not be able to increase" ? In general, you do NOT increase the credit line yourself. You REQUEST to increase and the bank increases it if it is approved. May be his wordings convey a message that he does NOT understand the whole thing? Hence the picky rep at Citi feels the need to further educate him?

For me I tend to use the phrase of "I cannot/ may not request a credit line increase" or, "the account is not eligible for a credit line increase". Never have any further communication. Have lowered CLs on 3 HHonors cards in the past 2 weeks this way and is ready for yet another 2.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:33 pm
jk2

Do let us know because I distinctly remember the denial post or even 2 of them for people whose conversion was after Feb. The reason I remember is because my husband's was converted in March.
Did you husband apply for Platinum MC and was denied a bonus? If yes, when was his original and next app for Platinum MC?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:35 pm
jk2

All Citi cards are churnable on some clock.

While the clock appears to be 18 months for all personal AA/HH cards now, it's not 18 months for business AA cards. However, business AA cards are YMMV not in the clock, but in whether you can churn them at all (some people can without closing their master account, some people can only churn if they close both the business card and its associated master account, and some people can't churn the business card at all). There is, however, a 3 month clock between business card applications at Citi (on top of the 8/65 clock).
Strictly speaking, yes, you are correct. What I meant by "churnable links" that don't have 18-monhts restriction. Old Business AA cards, as I understand, must be closed before applying for a new one and probably wait 2-3 months in between.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Did you husband apply for Platinum MC and was denied a bonus? If yes, when was his original and next app for Platinum MC?
He got an MC which started with World, and then being converted to World Elite 2 months later, but was later than Feb. Because I read the failure posts on people whose conversions were after Feb, he did not apply for another card. He then did the 50K HH x 2 instead. After all we have way too many AA miles but not enough hotel points.

The success stories have these traits -

Cards were applied in Q4 2014.
Cards were converted to World Elites starting in 2015.
Application of another MC after World Elite conversion in Feb 2015.

The one or two failures have the trait of conversion happened after Feb 2015.

You can check your profile against the above,

If you decide to risk a HP, do post the outcome.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:10 pm

Question:

If you get one of the Citi 3x targeted promos for some spend category, do those miles post immediately when the statement closes, or is it sometime later (like the Barclays card, which typically take another 8 weeks)?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:39 pm
jk2

He got an MC which started with World, and then being converted to World Elite 2 months later, but was later than Feb. Because I read the failure posts on people whose conversions were after Feb, he did not apply for another card. He then did the 50K HH x 2 instead. After all we have way too many AA miles but not enough hotel points.

The success stories have these traits -

Cards were applied in Q4 2014.
Cards were converted to World Elites starting in 2015.
Application of another MC after World Elite conversion in Feb 2015.

The one or two failures have the trait of conversion happened after Feb 2015.

You can check your profile against the above,

If you decide to risk a HP, do post the outcome.
Thanks! I'll try mine (since I got in Feb 2015), but not for my wife (she got her in March 2015). Anyway, I assume, if welcome letter does not say about a bonus, then I don't need to bother to spend, right?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk2
Thanks! I'll try mine (since I got in Feb 2015), but not for my wife (she got her in March 2015). Anyway, I assume, if welcome letter does not say about a bonus, then I don't need to bother to spend, right?
That seems to be the consensus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.