FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Executive MasterCard [2016-2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1739958-citi-aa-executive-mastercard-2016-2017-a.html)

ericgdukie44 Jan 8, 2016 3:24 am

Citi AA Executive MasterCard [2016-2017]

Feels like I'm crap outta luck here, but thought I'd ask for input. Have this card, my second year with it. Needed the 10,000 EQMs to make EXP (flew 90,xxx). Statement closes December 22. On December 3rd I used Citi live chat to ask for my 2015 spend year to date to make sure I had passed $40k. (I know, keep track myself). There was fraud on my account for some hotel purchases in Turkey, I ended up with several cards, just wanted Citi to check for me.

They told me $40,907. I still used the card in December for another $1k or so. Now AA says I spent ~$37,000. I didn't have $5k in spend dec 23-31 last year. And no returns in December this year. Had I known I was short I would have come up with the other $3k or whatever it is.

I saved the chat transcript with Citi, just in case of an issue like this, but I'm not sure how much help it is. I've emailed Citi through direct message and AA through AAdvantage support to see if I can figure out what happened and if either can help me.

Any advice or possible remedies?

Thanks.

dave_SEA Jan 8, 2016 10:23 am

After years of lurking, I'm ready to finally apply for this card. Kicking myself that I missed the 75K bonus last year. My only reason for applying is the 10K EQM since I'm determined to make a push for EXP and it will be a stretch to fly 90K.

Any tips for a first time apply-er?

kyroadrunner Jan 9, 2016 11:15 am

Originally Posted by dave_SEA (Post 25984880)
After years of lurking, I'm ready to finally apply for this card. Kicking myself that I missed the 75K bonus last year. My only reason for applying is the 10K EQM since I'm determined to make a push for EXP and it will be a stretch to fly 90K.

Any tips for a first time apply-er?

Based on reading multiple Citi related threads: be sure you are in compliance with the 8/65 rule. Also be sure that you haven't reached the ceiling as far as how much credit Citi will extend to you. I am thinking of applying so as well. Report back on your experience!

dave_SEA Jan 11, 2016 11:42 am

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner (Post 25990391)
Based on reading multiple Citi related threads: be sure you are in compliance with the 8/65 rule. Also be sure that you haven't reached the ceiling as far as how much credit Citi will extend to you. I am thinking of applying so as well. Report back on your experience!

So, I applied Friday around noon (eastern) for the 50 K offer. Got approved right away. Today (Monday AM) I got a UPS next day air envelope from Citi. Inside was the approval letter- but no card. Letter said it will come later in the week. Kinds lame to go thru hassle and expense of sending next day air for just a letter.

kyroadrunner Jan 11, 2016 11:59 am

Originally Posted by dave_SEA (Post 26000436)
So, I applied Friday around noon (eastern) for the 50 K offer. Got approved right away. Today (Monday AM) I got a UPS next day air envelope from Citi. Inside was the approval letter- but no card. Letter said it will come later in the week. Kinds lame to go thru hassle and expense of sending next day air for just a letter.

Why on earth would they pay to overnight an acceptance letter w/o a card? That makes no sense at all to me. Congrats on the approval!

ralphs Jan 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner (Post 26000545)
Why on earth would they pay to overnight an acceptance letter w/o a card? That makes no sense at all to me. Congrats on the approval!

Citi does a LOT of things that don't make sense, in my experience.

RobertHanson Jan 12, 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by kyroadrunner (Post 26000545)

This is SOP for an EXEC card. The card itself usually comes the same way the next day. Apparently they want to be sure you get the T/C before you get the card.

mia Jan 18, 2016 12:45 pm

Moderator action

Posts from 2015 and late 2014 have been archived. There is a link to the previous thread in the Wikipost. I have copied only the most recent version of the Wikipost into the 2016 thread. The older versions are still available in the prior thread.

Wikiposts are only visible when using Flyertalk's Desktop View, they are not yet accessible through the Mobile View. You are strongly encouraged to use the Desktop View when researching a new card because the Wikipost will highlight differences between the issuer's stated policies and their real world practices. Many of your questions are already answered in the Wikipost.

Click HERE to be notified when there are new replies to this thread.

seasidesilva Jan 21, 2016 5:56 pm

I was an Admirals Club recently and they gave a business card to me with an offer of an Executive card and a hand written code on it. Will the 18 month rule still be in effect if i use this to apply?

nbeazy Jan 25, 2016 10:51 am

Anyone have any experience PCing this card to the Double Cash card? I have read about mixed results - trying to figure out if A) it is possible and B) when I am eligible to do it. It seems I have to wait until the AF posts, then I will be able to call and PC. Is this correct?

Also, would it be a better idea to simply try to get some of the credit line from this card moved over to my Forward? It still has a really low credit line even after having it increased last year.

HofstraJet Feb 15, 2016 11:02 am

Just to make sure I'm not screwing up: I have a WE gold card which I recently received as a result of my long-standing silver (platinum?) card (since 1990) being "upgraded" to WE.

Having that card won't prevent me from receiving the 50K miles with a new Exec card, correct? Never had an Exec card before. T&Cs of offer on AA page says miles not available if I had an Exec card within last 18 months, but wiki says any AAdvantge WE card prevents you from receiving miles. Thanks!

carlitos Feb 15, 2016 4:44 pm

It goes by product type. So being that there are 4 products with Citi AA Gold, Platinum, Executive and Business for bonus purposes, here is your case:

Citi AA Executive is a whole different product from Platinum and Gold Citi AA credit cards. So if you have never had a Citi AA Executive, you will receive the signing bonus if you are approved.

Correct, having a Citi AA Gold World Elite card will not prevent you from getting the signing bonus if you get approved for the Citi AA Executive World Elite Card.

dgilligan02 Mar 2, 2016 10:17 am

So, Citi is giving me AA card offers in my Prequalified section with no 18-month language again... Been on a break since this sparked the whole Link X mini run a few months back, but thinking about going after it again. Anybody had luck with this recently?

mab631 Apr 9, 2016 8:26 pm

Citi AAdvantage?

Is it possible my mother sign up for a Citi AAdvantage card but use my AAdvantage number on her card? then add me as an authorized user? She really doesn't care to use the card for points, her company pays for AA tickets but she wants to be able to get into the Admirals club. I would then start using the authorized user card and collect the points and pay the bill.

beltway Apr 9, 2016 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mab631 (Post 26462811)
Is it possible my mother sign up for a Citi AAdvantage card but use my AAdvantage number on her card?

See the wiki (FAQ #7) for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...ess-cards.html