FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citigold Debit card delayed delivery (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1720192-citigold-debit-card-delayed-delivery.html)

anubond005 Oct 28, 2015 8:02 pm

Citigold Debit card delayed delivery

Hello,
My wife opened her Citi Gold on 10/7 online and we haven't received our debit card yet. Called 2 weeks back and they said they will expedite it. I called today again and the lady told me they cant send a debit card but instead an ATM card. I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said the same thing without giving any reason. He asked to visit bank and meet a CS. I dont have a citi branch in my area. He also said we might have to use the ATM card for 60 days minimum before they convert it to Debit card.
I told manager that we have been with Citi from 07 and also have 5 cards with Citi including Prest. and Prem. He said to call back once we have our ATM card and they will try to convert it into a Debit card.
Someone Plz help. I have no idea how to solve this. I am sry if I have posted in the wrong thread.
Note - we have received check book and the code for the card.
Thank you.

thebob6 Oct 28, 2015 11:36 pm

I am also waiting on my debit card - it has been about 7 days now.

I'm not sure I follow your post though - Why would they only offer an ATM card? Would that mean you could not complete any DEBIT purchases? Only withdrawal money out from ATM's?

HBKFan75 Oct 28, 2015 11:42 pm

About how long should it take to receive the debit card? I opened my account 2 weeks ago and have gotten the checks in the mail, but there's no sign of the debit card yet. Should I be concerned or is this timeline normal?

hi-guy Oct 29, 2015 12:08 am

Delete; garykung's response below makes more sense.

garykung Oct 29, 2015 4:13 am

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25630789)
I told manager that we have been with Citi from 07 and also have 5 cards with Citi including Prest. and Prem.

Your history with Citi Cards has no bearing to your Citibank Debit card situation.

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25630789)
Someone Plz help. I have no idea how to solve this.

Originally Posted by thebob6 (Post 25631509)
I am also waiting on my debit card - it has been about 7 days now.

It is not an official explanation.

The major reason is Citibank is in process rolling out the Debit cards with EMV chip. There has been a major delay on the roll out, which is scheduled originally for 07/15, but not until 09/15. At the same time, someone from Citibank's Marketing is stupid enough to run a Citigold promotion during the roll out.

Hence, the trouble.

Even not all existing customers have been upgraded yet.

In short, you will have to wait.

I believe the ATM card was the one without EMV chip. Hence, the speed.

Barrios Oct 29, 2015 4:29 am

I would give them a call. My debit card was the first to arrive and checks arrived the last. I had to call them for every single thing, it's Citi.

mmdough Oct 29, 2015 4:56 am

Originally Posted by HBKFan75 (Post 25631528)
About how long should it take to receive the debit card? I opened my account 2 weeks ago and have gotten the checks in the mail, but there's no sign of the debit card yet. Should I be concerned or is this timeline normal?

Give Citi a call. My debit card arrived in 2 business days after opening the account via FedEx.

diseased Oct 29, 2015 6:20 am

I opened an account around the first week of September and was told by a chat rep that the card could take 30 days to arrive so I waited. That time passed and it did not arrive, neither did my checks. I contacted them on Twitter and the rep said they were mailed but that she'd cancel them and overnight the debit card. I received the chipped debit card two days later and the checks the next week or so.

anubond005 Oct 29, 2015 6:43 am

Originally Posted by thebob6 (Post 25631509)
I'm not sure I follow your post though - Why would they only offer an ATM card? Would that mean you could not complete any DEBIT purchases? Only withdrawal money out from ATM's?

Yes only withdrawals. I told manager than how are we supposed to fulfill $1k debit condition to get 50k thank you points. He said they might have to give us extra time to fulfill that. I will call again and update.

It is not an official explanation.

The major reason is Citibank is in process rolling out the Debit cards with EMV chip. There has been a major delay on the roll out, which is scheduled originally for 07/15, but not until 09/15. At the same time, someone from Citibank's Marketing is stupid enough to run a Citigold promotion during the roll out.

Hence, the trouble.

Even not all existing customers have been upgraded yet.

In short, you will have to wait.

I believe the ATM card was the one without EMV chip. Hence, the speed.
Thanks for explanation. I will wait for ATM to arrive and call them again.

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 25632435)
I contacted them on Twitter and the rep said they were mailed but that she'd cancel them and overnight the debit card. I received the chipped debit card two days later and the checks the next week or so.

Let me try on Twitter now. Thanks.

travel_mav Oct 29, 2015 8:42 am

(Removed)

kchengg1 Oct 29, 2015 8:44 am

I'm on the same boat as everyone else.. but is the answer that I'm not able to access my citi account online with full features until I get my debit card?

I log on to the citigold online and I can't see many features other then Link a Debit card.. which I haven't heard any news about.

They took 7.5k out of my Exec Plat today for the funding.. but how can I pay my card back if I can't do any actions on Citigold lol.

WheelsFirst Oct 29, 2015 10:20 am

Easiest thing to do is to request a replacement card online, it's an automated process so no human idiot to screw things up, card should arrive in a week max.

anubond005 Oct 29, 2015 11:50 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst (Post 25633527)
Easiest thing to do is to request a replacement card online, it's an automated process so no human idiot to screw things up, card should arrive in a week max.

To request a card online first we need a debit card to sign up online. Can't link to my existing Citi online account without a debit card 😕

garykung Oct 29, 2015 1:40 pm

For those of you who are unwilling to wait. My only suggestion is ask the rep. to rush the card.

Usually, this trick works.

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 25632512)
He said they might have to give us extra time to fulfill that.

Get that in writing. Otherwise, you will regret.

Originally Posted by kchengg1 (Post 25633032)
They took 7.5k out of my Exec Plat today for the funding.. but how can I pay my card back if I can't do any actions on Citigold lol.

Call Citigold to make a payment for you.

HBKFan75 Oct 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by mmdough (Post 25632197)
Give Citi a call. My debit card arrived in 2 business days after opening the account via FedEx.

Thanks, guys. I sent an SM this morning and they're FedEx-ing me a card to arrive tomorrow morning. Hopefully it comes with a PIN... I guess we'll see.