Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:30 pm

TAP Portugal success

Bought a ticket in December after statement close. Reimbursed (for 2017 as expected) on January statement. Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Signed up for Prestige card March of 2016, made airfare purchase and received a $250 credit on my first statement. Made a airfare purchase in late December 2016 and received a $250 credit on my January 2017 statement. Total of $500 airline credit in one year plus $225 credit for 4th night free and priority pass access for last year, not bad for the $450 annual fee. Now to cancel the card and start using my sapphire reserve card lol.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: Cathay
Has anyone purchased American Airlines Gift Cards online with their Citi Prestige and had it count towards the Travel Credit? Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:14 am

SAS

Prepaid SAS bag fees work (added a checked bag for 300 SEK to SAS Go Light)
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Good point. How long do you have before the money in your "bank" expires?
Basically, 3 years.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ravelbank.aspx

Accounts have an expiration date of 24 months of inactivity. After that time, the remaining amount will be issued in the form of an electronic travel certificate. The certificate is valid for one year from the date when it is originally issued to the account owner.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Comrade Crunch
Has anyone purchased American Airlines Gift Cards online with their Citi Prestige and had it count towards the Travel Credit? Thanks
Yes, multiple times. Most recently in December.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

2nd annual fee posted 12/13. Received my third travel credit on my 1/12 statement. Called today (1/14) and requested a product change to Costco Anywhere. The CSR confirmed that the annual fee will be refunded in full, even though supposedly the product change won't take effect until early March.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by neony77
Yes, multiple times. Most recently in December.
Why would you even both to purchase GCs when you can buy a refundable ticket and cancel it to get the credit?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by asur
Why would you even both to purchase GCs when you can buy a refundable ticket and cancel it to get the credit?
Perhaps because one is fraudulent and the other isn't?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mrjbrooks
A few notes - ALLEGIANT has apparently had their merchant code reclassified and the credit did automatically apply (it is now Air Travel - AIRLINE,AIR CARRIER). I also had an agent tell me he would manually request that the ThankYou Portal purchase of airfare be counted towards my credit and that I should see it process within a few days. Unless I notice anything to the contrary, assume for your success/failure purposes that this worked.
This is good to know. Last year I had to do a lot of faxing to get my Allegiant credit of $250. Also, FYI, I asked in a SM if $ spent via the TYP travel portal would trigger the credit and received a reply with a resounding NO. Other reports say CSRs can no longer manually change it. Just stay on top of it and complain if they don't do what they said they'd do.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:18 am

I heard that some people reported AA gift cards are coded differently now? Has anyone tried this within the past week or so?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
I heard that some people reported AA gift cards are coded differently now?
It shouldn't matter. Citi reimburses any airline transaction. The only way the reimbursement would fail is if AA followed AS and created a separate company to sell gift cards.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:17 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
I was so delighted to find that UA cannot even seem to make things easy for someone who wants to buy a gift certificate.

So off to AA.com I went to purchase a GC. Credit from Citi posted smoothly when the statement printed.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by jwgmaldives
I heard that some people reported AA gift cards are coded differently now? Has anyone tried this within the past week or so?
Originally Posted by mia
It shouldn't matter. Citi reimburses any airline transaction. The only way the reimbursement would fail is if AA followed AS and created a separate company to sell gift cards.
I just bought this mine for this CY today. My account shows the pending charge as:

Category: AMERICAN AIRLINES
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by asur
Question on this. I hope to not have to go this route, but just for future reference - does anyone know of an airline that will refund a refundable ticket using anything other than the original payment method? Maybe one that would send you a check, for example. It just seems less... weird.

I'm pretty sure I'll use up my $250 with various fees, etc. without any problem. But I've been curious about this for a while.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.