Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Card arrived today and I charged $300 in airline costs. See it "pending" in my online transaction list. First statement set to close Dec 4. Should I call and ask them to move up my monthly closing date to Nov 30 to be on safe side? Concerned that airline credit won't post in 2015 on Dec 4 statement. Terms say 1-2 statements for credit. Alternative would be to wait till Dec 4 and if credit doesn't post move up next closing date to Dec 30. Yes?
Originally Posted by odin99
im in the same boat. if it doesn't post on my early Dec. statement, i'll call or send a message.
You probably shouldn't wait. Citi (like most issuers) doesn't usually update your closing date for your current billing period. It always (at least in my experience, and those I've seen from others here) takes effect the next billing period. So if you wait until 12/5 to call, your next closing date would still be 1/5. The change to the 30th wouldn't take effect until 1/30.

That said, you've got 17 days for that charge to go from pending to posted. Most charges post within a day or two. The longest I've ever personally seen was 7 days. I think I've seen a report of 10 somewhere here on FT, but that would be extremely rare. Until you hit 7-8 days without it posting, there's nothing to worry about at all. If you hit 10 days, you might want to give them a call (you'd still have a week to work it out before your statement date). But the chances of that happening are pretty much zero.

tl;dr: The charge will post before your closing date.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by euromannn
What is the billing cycle date to apply to get the $250 credit?
december to december is the period the $250 is issued I believe.
Not sure I follow the first question. If you're asking when you should apply so that your billing cycle is on the right dates, there's no answer to that. Billing cycle closing dates are assigned (seemingly) randomly.

The $250 credit is once per calendar year. The charge has to be on a statement that closes in that calendar year in order to qualify. So if you apply now, you've got to have it on your statement that closes in either November or December. If your closing date is the 20th, and you make an airline charge on 12/30, it will be on your January 20 statement, so it will count as 2016 instead of 2015.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:39 am

Anyone get credit for buying avianca points? Its the 2+x1 promo right now and I need to top up.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by moops380
Anyone get credit for buying avianca points?
If you have ever purchased Avianca points (or can find someone who has) see who processed the credit card transaction. If it was a third party, such as Points International (points.com) it won't qualify. If it was processed by Avianca it should be eligible.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Songer5
FYI - I won't find out until my statement closes Nov 19th. I purchased the United $250 Travel Bank / Gift Registry on 10/22. The charge didn't even post yet. But it's showing up as Pending as "UNITED 800-932-2732 TX" so I have no reason to think it won't work.
Just had my statement close and got the $250 reimbursement for the gift registry. Wonderful. Gonna do it again Jan 2016.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:40 am

$250 Southwest gift card purchased directly from their website. Successfully received reimbursement when statement closed. ^
Old Nov 20, 2015, 8:59 am

With SW giving a 40-45% discount by booking with points and their bookings being way more flexible in that "if there's an open seat you can book" why would people use the $250 air credit on SW gift cards?
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
With SW giving a 40-45% discount by booking with points and their bookings being way more flexible in that "if there's an open seat you can book" why would people use the $250 air credit on SW gift cards?
I don't understand the question. It's not like flying Southwest is free 100% of the time. Sometimes you have to pay for tickets. That's kind of how their business model works...

Sometimes you have to book last minute and WGA fares are not available. Points use in those cases are a terrible waste. Additionally, i frequently travel SW on business, which get's reimbursed, so applying a gift card in those cases makes perfect sense. There are hundreds of reasons people would pay for a ticket on SW instead of using points.

Now if you're telling me there's a way to generate unlimited Southwest points at a 45% discount (essentially paying less than a .8 cents per point, vs the 1.4 cents they're redeemable for), I'm all ears.

Last edited by Cohall; Nov 20, 2015 at 9:59 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Cohall
I don't understand the question. It's not like flying Southwest is free 100% of the time. Sometimes you have to pay for tickets. That's kind of how their business model works...

Sometimes you have to book last minute and WGA fares are not available. Points use in those cases are a terrible waste. Additionally, i frequently travel SW on business, which get's reimbursed, so applying a gift card in those cases makes perfect sense. There are hundreds of reasons people would pay for a ticket on SW instead of using points.

Now if you're telling me there's a way to generate unlimited Southwest points at a 45% discount (essentially paying less than a .8 cents per point, vs the 1.4 cents they're redeemable for), I'm all ears.
I guess I just use my ink to generate UR at .00672 (which is less now with the $300 VGCs) and I don't fly but maybe once a month so I'm good. Volume and how much you fly plays a big part as well as business purposes. I've never paid more than .00672 for SW points (from UR) and never had a shortage of points based off how little I fly compared to others. Amount of flight on SW is irrelevant I thought consider it's all revenue based, points and/or cash bookings.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bobert24
You probably shouldn't wait. Citi (like most issuers) doesn't usually update your closing date for your current billing period. It always (at least in my experience, and those I've seen from others here) takes effect the next billing period. So if you wait until 12/5 to call, your next closing date would still be 1/5. The change to the 30th wouldn't take effect until 1/30.

That said, you've got 17 days for that charge to go from pending to posted. Most charges post within a day or two. The longest I've ever personally seen was 7 days. I think I've seen a report of 10 somewhere here on FT, but that would be extremely rare. Until you hit 7-8 days without it posting, there's nothing to worry about at all. If you hit 10 days, you might want to give them a call (you'd still have a week to work it out before your statement date). But the chances of that happening are pretty much zero.

tl;dr: The charge will post before your closing date.
I did not know this re change in closing date. Thanks for the intel! So my charges to virgin atlantic have posted. The line reads:

VIR ATL VSA002 VIRATLCOM CO
and
VIR ATLVVSA001 ANCILLARIES GBR

Interestingly, there is a little "travel tip" underneath each one (Discount car rental etc), so I think they are coding as flights. And in details section it lists Virgin Atlantic as the category. So I think it will be reimbursed. Does the credit ONLY show up on the actual closing date or does it show up a few days after the charge posts? If only on the closing date, I'm going to call in and ask them to move up my closing date to Nov 30. To be safe. Terms say 1-2 cycles for credit to post and I don't want to risk it.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I did not know this re change in closing date. Thanks for the intel! So my charges to virgin atlantic have posted. The line reads:

VIR ATL VSA002 VIRATLCOM CO
and
VIR ATLVVSA001 ANCILLARIES GBR

Interestingly, there is a little "travel tip" underneath each one (Discount car rental etc), so I think they are coding as flights. And in details section it lists Virgin Atlantic as the category. So I think it will be reimbursed. Does the credit ONLY show up on the actual closing date or does it show up a few days after the charge posts? If only on the closing date, I'm going to call in and ask them to move up my closing date to Nov 30. To be safe. Terms say 1-2 cycles for credit to post and I don't want to risk it.
I'll answer, but this is secondhand knowledge from others in the thread, not firsthand experience. I actually just got my card too, and haven't made my airline spend yet.

From what's been reported, the credit only shows up on the statement closing date. That's par for the course for Citi, who I believe only ever issues credits or points on your statement date (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point). So asking to move your close date up to the 30th, while probably not necessary, certainly won't hurt anything. Definitely better safe than sorry, and definitely does need to be requested this month, like you're planning to. Hopefully they can/will do it.

Last edited by bobert24; Nov 23, 2015 at 1:53 am
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bobert24
I'll answer, but this is secondhand knowledge from others in the thread, not firsthand experience. I actually just got my card too, and haven't made my airline spend yet.

From what's been reported, the credit only shows up on the statement closing date. That's par for the course for Citi, who I believe only ever issues credits or points on your statement date (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that point). So asking to move your close date up to the 30th, while probably not necessary, certainly won't hurt anything. Definitely better safe than sorry, and definitely does need to be requested this month, like you're planning to. Hopefully they can/will do it.
Thanks. I'll just jump all over that closing statement to make sure!

In other news: they wouldn't change the closing date. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25757042-post1214.html
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:27 pm

Has anyone been successful in getting United MPX - Gift cards reimbursed ?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:23 am

Got my card this week. Is theres any chance to get the credit, if I charge it today?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by runnnerdude2k2
Has anyone been successful in getting United MPX - Gift cards reimbursed ?
No the MPX purchases will not be reimbursed with the Citi prestige airline credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.