Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:44 pm

I opened my account on 10/6/15. I purchased AA tickets through AA and global entry on the same day ($2150 total). My first statement was dated 10/8/15 and was for $1800. The $100 for global entry and $250 for airline credit posted. At the bottom of the statement it said that on 12/8/2015 my airline credit would start again. I have not yet been charged the $450 fee.

Based from previous post and my experience it looks like they are having the billing periods end on the 8th so if you are approved and get your card (3 business days for me) before 12/8 you can post an airline transaction right away and get the $250 for 2015. My "guess" is that if you are approved after 12/8 you can't get the 2015 credit.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:06 am
Suspended

Thanks, that's interesting.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Is this for any airline? I need to do advanced seat assignments on Virgin Atlantic for upcoming transatlantic flight (will be $400 for our various flights w/ all our kids). Will I get reimbursed up to $250 for this charge? It's not a ticket, but a fee. So I guess my question is twofold:

Do fees like seat assignments get reimbursed?
Does Virgin Atlantic qualify (does any airline qualify)?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Do fees like seat assignments get reimbursed?
Does Virgin Atlantic qualify (does any airline qualify)?
Yes and yes. Any charge processed by an airline merchant account is reimbursable. The only circumstances where we might encounter a problem is if the airline has (for example) created or contracted with a separate company to sell gift cards, miles, club memberships, in-flight internet access, duty free shopping, etc.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by New to FF
I'm running a little trial with a few cards:

$50 Alaska gift card on 10/25, no credit yet
$10 SW card on 11/7
$50 American on 11/7

My current statement closes on 11/16 so I will report back what happens. I do have use for these over the next year even if I don't get the airline credit.
Update to my post. My statement closed on 11/12 and the American and Southwest gift cards received air travel credit. The Alaska GC has not.

Oddly, the Alaska posted as the following category:
MerchandiseDIRECT MARKETING - CATALOG AND RETAIL ME.

The others posted as:
Air TravelAMERICAN AIRLINES
Air TravelSOUTHWEST

Kind of bummed as I mostly wanted to use Alaska. I believe American code shares with Alaska so I'll probably finish my credit by purchasing more American GC.

Hope this helps the forum.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Colin
Any tips for utilizing this annual benefit, outside of the obvious to buy airline tickets?
Refundable airline tickets w/ cancellation post credit - will Citi claw the credit back in the subsequent calendar year?
Originally Posted by jkoenig51
I would like to use my airline credit on Jet Blue, however they don't sell GC and it's too early to buy a ticket. Any Ideas? could I buy a refundable ticket? Or buy a ticket and change it later?
Definitely interested in any data points that may exist about this. Refundable airfare would be the best/easiest, by far. Anybody tried this?
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:10 am

For those of you who are thinking about trying to get 3 years of credits off 1 AF: you may want to go back and check your past Citi accounts and see when the AF was charged. For us, it's always been the calendar month after our application.

For cards without the AF waived, you don't get charged the AF until your first (sometimes second) statement. Looking at our dozen+ Citi cards, that's never been the same calendar month the card was opened, even for a card opened on the 3rd. The AF posted the next month. The AF for the next year has always posted in the same calendar month as the first year's fee.

If you've only ever had a card with the AF waived the first year (like AA plat or gold), check when your AF posted for the second year. It should be the next calendar month after the anniversary of your card opening date (e.g., if you opened the card in May of 2014, the fee would have posted on your June 2015 statement).

So if you open a Prestige in November 2015, the AF should post on your December 2015 statement. The AF for the next year would post on your December 2016 statement, which means you'd have until your January statement to earn a credit for 2017, and 7 days after that statement to cancel.

Not advocating this, or guaranteeing that's how it would work for you. Just providing my data points for those who are worried about it. Hopefully someone else can confirm with their own info.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:54 am

My statement closes tomorrow but my Southwest $270 charge from 5 days ago is still pending.. Do you know how long it takes for SW charge to post and in case (probably) if it won't post on this statement will I get the credit even if it's pending?
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobert24
Definitely interested in any data points that may exist about this. Refundable airfare would be the best/easiest, by far. Anybody tried this?
i see no reason why it wouldn't work...
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
just bought a $100 delta e-giftcard....

... will report back when the reimbursement is posted.
Any luck with reimbursement? Anyone else try have reports for Delta? Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by azepine00
i see no reason why it wouldn't work...
There's no reason you wouldn't get the reimbursement, but the question is whether Citi would claw the credit back when you got the refund. Granted, Citi is far less likely to do this than, say, Chase, but it's always nice to have confirmation before trying it. Looks like that confirmation may not be available, so I'll have to try it and be the one to confirm or deny for others.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Card arrived today and I charged $300 in airline costs. See it "pending" in my online transaction list. First statement set to close Dec 4. Should I call and ask them to move up my monthly closing date to Nov 30 to be on safe side? Concerned that airline credit won't post in 2015 on Dec 4 statement. Terms say 1-2 statements for credit. Alternative would be to wait till Dec 4 and if credit doesn't post move up next closing date to Dec 30. Yes?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Card arrived today and I charged $300 in airline costs. See it "pending" in my online transaction list. First statement set to close Dec 4. Should I call and ask them to move up my monthly closing date to Nov 30 to be on safe side? Concerned that airline credit won't post in 2015 on Dec 4 statement. Terms say 1-2 statements for credit. Alternative would be to wait till Dec 4 and if credit doesn't post move up next closing date to Dec 30. Yes?
im in the same boat. if it doesn't post on my early Dec. statement, i'll call or send a message.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:43 am

Just booked $230 in flights directly from Iberia. I wanted to book via OTA, but was worried about the off chance it didn't bill through the airline directly.

I still have $20 for this year. So far I have gathered that some airline gift cards work (SWA, AA) and that United MPX for Amazon gift cards does not. Any other way to get a $20 airline charge in the next couple of days before statement posts?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by CLG
Late in the year, I'd be very nervous about this line in the T&C's!! It seems like you'd have decent control over understanding of when your billing cycle ending date is, but if someone tries to get too cute with their annual benefits maximization, it might burn them.

CLG
What is the billing cycle date to apply to get the $250 credit?
december to december is the period the $250 is issued I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.