Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
What happens when there is a return of the airline credit? e.g. AA award taxes are refunded when the award is cancelled or changed.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Any tips for utilizing this annual benefit, outside of the obvious to buy airline tickets?

UA MPX for Amazon Gift Credit?

Airline gift credit?

Refundable airline tickets w/ cancellation post credit - will Citi claw the credit back in the subsequent calendar year?
Originally Posted by liw5215
UA MPX for Amazon Gift Credit is no go
You're sure about this? Has anyone tested this with a small amount, like $10?
Old Nov 6, 2015, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by WantsAmex
Bought a $250 American Airlines gift card. How long until I get my $250 credit? The charge just posted today.
Any update?
I want to buy gift card but am waiting..
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by jasmians
Any update?
I want to buy gift card but am waiting..
I'm running a little trial with a few cards:

$50 Alaska gift card on 10/25, no credit yet
$10 SW card on 11/7
$50 American on 11/7

My current statement closes on 11/16 so I will report back what happens. I do have use for these over the next year even if I don't get the airline credit.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 4:16 pm

AA Gift Card

Has anyone seen a datapoint from someone that has actually been reimbursed for an American Airlines gift card? I've looked through this thread and can't seem to find one.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by traveler9020
Has anyone seen a datapoint from someone that has actually been reimbursed for an American Airlines gift card? I've looked through this thread and can't seem to find one.
I received the Air Travel Credit this past month for buying an AA gift card which was coded as "Air TravelAMERICAN AIRLINES"
Old Nov 8, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by aptmowe
I received the Air Travel Credit this past month for buying an AA gift card which was coded as "Air TravelAMERICAN AIRLINES"
Thanks for the response. Mind sharing the amount? Also, how long did the credit take to post?
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:00 am

Thanks for the response. Mind sharing the amount? Also, how long did the credit take to post?
$231 (I had already used $19 of my credit previously). The credit showed up on the same billing statement.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:55 am

Apply for new Citi Presitge card now or in Dec?

I want to sign up for the card since I need to buy AA or other airline tickets asap. Do I get the $250 credit applied once I use the card or do I have to spend $3k first to get the privilege first. Do I have to be careful that the statement closes in Dec if I apply now or should I wait? I don't want to use my thank you points to buy the AA ticket now.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dmarcus163
I want to sign up for the card since I need to buy AA or other airline tickets asap. Do I get the $250 credit applied once I use the card or do I have to spend $3k first to get the privilege first. Do I have to be careful that the statement closes in Dec if I apply now or should I wait? I don't want to use my thank you points to buy the AA ticket now.
You don't have to meet min spending to get airline credit. Min. Spend is for bonus points. You will get credit for travel with your next statement closing.

Last edited by jasmians; Nov 10, 2015 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:34 am

Can anyone report being reimbursed for buying a united gift card directly from their website?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 2:14 pm

When can I charge?

Originally Posted by jasmians
You don't have to meet min spending to get airline credit. Min. Spend is for bonus points. You will get credit for travel with your next statement closing.
If I got the card today and spent money on a ticket in a week does that mean I would get the $250 credit back in the next statement?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dmarcus163
If I got the card today and spent money on a ticket in a week does that mean I would get the $250 credit back in the next statement?
Yes. I charged on card for airline expense within 2 days of getting card.( 30th Oct). Statement closed on 8th Nov. I had credit for airline on that statement. I still have to meet minimum spend on this card.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Seems that many of us have the same question. If we apply now (mid Nov), and spend $250 in airline purchases, will the credit post within 2015? Upthread, someone quotes the terms which say the credit will appear in 1-2 billing cycles. So there is a chance that a $250 purchase on a cycle that closes, say, Dec 25, might not post until Jan 25, which would mean a credit for 2016 (not 2015). Is this correct? If so, is there any data on anyone having to wait until 2nd cycle to get credit?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Seems that many of us have the same question. If we apply now (mid Nov), and spend $250 in airline purchases, will the credit post within 2015? Upthread, someone quotes the terms which say the credit will appear in 1-2 billing cycles. So there is a chance that a $250 purchase on a cycle that closes, say, Dec 25, might not post until Jan 25, which would mean a credit for 2016 (not 2015). Is this correct? If so, is there any data on anyone having to wait until 2nd cycle to get credit?
YMMV, but you might have success if you call in if the credit doesn't post on your december statement. someone above called in for an airline purchase made through the TY portal to get the credit awarded (wasn't automatic because it wasn't directly purchased from airline) - so CSR might be able to help. seems like if you explain the situation to the CSR -> need to get the credit by Dec. 31st and you already made an airline purchase in Nov, you'd have a pretty good argument.

On a side note, I was approved for the prestige today and will buy a SW gift card when the card arrives in a few days. I will report back after my first statement posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.