Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by MilesGator
Anyone planning on going for a third $250 credit in early 2017? My first year AF will be posted to my account when it closes 12/24. I'm thinking to get another credit early 2017, then cancel a couple days after the statement closes.

My AF will be due 1/22/17 and my statement will close 1/24/17. So I'll probably close the account 1/25/17 (exactly 32 days after the AF posts). Should I expect a full refund? Or partial?
I just did this. AF hit on Dec statement on the 6th, purchased a $400 ticket today, will wait and see what happens on Jan. 6th. Will cancel card as well, expecting full refund of AF.

Seems like it should work. This will be my 3rd credit for one AF. Just got the timing right accidentally, i guess.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:48 am

I purposely timed this card to be able to get the $250 credit 3 times. Made some AA purchases today. Instead of cancelling, I'm going to try and get the card converted into citi dividend which has some good spend categories. I did go ahead and pay the annual fee since the credit won't post in time to not get hit with fees.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
I just did this. AF hit on Dec statement on the 6th, purchased a $400 ticket today, will wait and see what happens on Jan. 6th. Will cancel card as well, expecting full refund of AF.

Seems like it should work. This will be my 3rd credit for one AF. Just got the timing right accidentally, i guess.
Please update with your experience! my AF is due Dec 10 - thinking about transferring my TYPs to flyingblue and PCing to a no AF card.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:53 am

First time poster but long time lurker so please go easy on me!

Has anyone had recent experience purchasing a ticket through the TY portal with points + cash and getting the $250 airline reimbursement? In the wiki, there is one person who was able to do this manually by calling but it was back in September 2015. Wanted to see if there were any recent datapoints on this before pulling the trigger.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Danegal
First time poster but long time lurker so please go easy on me!

Has anyone had recent experience purchasing a ticket through the TY portal with points + cash and getting the $250 airline reimbursement? In the wiki, there is one person who was able to do this manually by calling but it was back in September 2015. Wanted to see if there were any recent datapoints on this before pulling the trigger.

Just tried this, paid $260 cash & Thankyou points for an airline ticket. The statement issued on 01/05/17 and did not receive the credit. I called customer service and they would not process a manual credit and indicated that they are no longer allowed to make any manual credits, the system must handle it.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by CNMAZ
Just tried this, paid $260 cash & Thankyou points for an airline ticket. The statement issued on 01/05/17 and did not receive the credit. I called customer service and they would not process a manual credit and indicated that they are no longer allowed to make any manual credits, the system must handle it.
How was the transaction with TY portal categorized in your statement?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:23 pm

Thanks for your reply!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I've been wondering about this. Thanks for the DP. I suspect this also means we can't get credit for Allegiant or WN flights. Last year (around March), I was able to fax in receipt from Allegiant to get credit. Took forever, with several calls and emails, but I did get it. Would've been a manual credit.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nesnith
How was the transaction with TY portal categorized in your statement?
It was: Other Travel - TRAVEL AGENCY AND TOUR OPERATORS.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
I purposely timed this card to be able to get the $250 credit 3 times. Made some AA purchases today. Instead of cancelling, I'm going to try and get the card converted into citi dividend which has some good spend categories. I did go ahead and pay the annual fee since the credit won't post in time to not get hit with fees.
Did you get the credit already? When does your statement with the credit post?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
zeppoloveskafka (when does your statement close?) and maxp0wers I request updates on the 3x airline credits attempt !
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Thanks for the info! Bought an AA giftcard for $250. I wonder if it'll even give me a bit of leverage for a retention offer with Citi, since they're already $250 in the hole at renewal time!

Will update with success/fail.
Success! Travel credit posted a few days ago.

Now the irony...it turns out my annual fee isn't due until April, because in December 2015 I opened a citigold account. Citi reduced and partially refuded my AF to $350 (reflecting the citigold rate) a few months later, apparently resetting my AF due date to April in the process. So there was no need to rush it by buying an AA giftcard right now, but w/e...I guess I won't have to worry about missing out on the credit this year!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 7:43 am

I purchased an AA ticket on 1/2 and haven't seen a reimbursement yet. My memory from last year's purchase is that Citi was pretty good about posting a credit right away. Has this changed? (I've been of FT so I'm a little out of the loop.)

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
I purchased an AA ticket on 1/2 and haven't seen a reimbursement yet. My memory from last year's purchase is that Citi was pretty good about posting a credit right away. Has this changed? (I've been of FT so I'm a little out of the loop.)

Thanks
My experience is that reimbursement is at statement close.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Used for $250 gift registry, statement closed yesterday and the credit appeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.