Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: frudd38
Credit appears on the billing statement for the month the fee/charge hit. It is not an instantaneous credit that you'll see in the account online, it only applies at close of statement.

The year your purchase counts against is based on the statement date, not date of purchase. Tickets purchased late in the year, especially in December, will almost certainly count against the benefit in the following calendar year. Do not wait until the end of the calendar year to use your credits!

Summary of reimbursement options by airline

Please edit the wikipost to add your specific knowledge of airlines.

Aer Lingus: Tickets work
Air Asia: Tickets worked booked on airline site.
Air Canada: Tickets (via travel agent) work. Bag fees work
Air France: Award fees work
Alaska Airlines: Tickets work. In-flight food does not. Gift certificates do not.
Allegiant: Tickets work, with effort.
Atlantic Airways: Tickets work.
American Airlines: Gift certificates work. Status challenge payment works. In-flight food works. Tickets Work Baggage Fees at Airport works.
ANA: Award taxes
Avianca: Upgrade fees work.
British Airways: Tickets work.
Cebu Pacific: Tickets and bag fees work.
China Airlines: Tickets work.
Delta: Bag fees work. Tickets work. Gift cards work.
Emirates: Gift shop purchases work.
Etihad: Award taxes/fees work
EVA: Sky Shop
Frontier: Ticketing online works 6/18/17
Hawaiian: Bag fees work.
JetBlue: Bag fees work. Tickets work.
KLM: Tickets work.
Korean Air: Ticket (via travel agent) works.
Lufthansa: Tickets work.
Malaysia Airlines: Tickets Work
Qatar Airways: Tickets work.
Turkish Airlines: Tickets work. Upgrade fees work.
Southwest: Gift certificates work. Award fees work. In-flight meal purchases do not work.
Sun Country: Tickets work.
Thomas Cook Airlines: flight from UK to USA, priced in GBP, worked
United: Gift certificates work. Tickets work.
Virgin Atlantic: taxes+YQ for award ticket worked
Points + Cash booking via TY portal: Yes, after manual request.
Print Wikipost

Report Citi Prestige Success/Fail $250 airline expense reimbursements (2015-2018).

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:57 am

Apologies if this is the wrong thread for this But is he $250 credit reimbursable for United's MileagePlus X shopping app? (Which is reimbursable by Amex platinum)
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Any success with in-flight purchases people can report? IFE, food, etc. This is usually a grey area (T&C references "some"), so any actuals helpful.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
December

I have always assumed that if I booked a trip in December on the Prestige card, i would get to use the $250 credit. But, what is Dember. They refer to my December billing cycle. The last cycle ended on December 2d, the current cycle ends on January 2. This is the cycle wherein I have airline expenses.

If the December billing cycle has already ended, I would lost the credit. But, since 29 days remained in December, isn't that the December billing cycle?

If I lose the $250 for this year, there won't be a next year.

It only makes sense that December is still here and my billing cycle ends Jan. 2.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Scott Kiwi
I have always assumed that if I booked a trip in December on the Prestige card, i would get to use the $250 credit. But, what is Dember. They refer to my December billing cycle. The last cycle ended on December 2d, the current cycle ends on January 2. This is the cycle wherein I have airline expenses.

If the December billing cycle has already ended, I would lost the credit. But, since 29 days remained in December, isn't that the December billing cycle?

If I lose the $250 for this year, there won't be a next year.

It only makes sense that December is still here and my billing cycle ends Jan. 2.

Any thoughts?
you won't get your 2015 credit, it will be considered 2016. december ends in january, makes it a january statement.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:51 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by New to FF
Update to my post. My statement closed on 11/12 and the American and Southwest gift cards received air travel credit. The Alaska GC has not.

Oddly, the Alaska posted as the following category:
MerchandiseDIRECT MARKETING - CATALOG AND RETAIL ME.

[...]

Kind of bummed as I mostly wanted to use Alaska.
I saw the same thing after purchasing $125 in GCs yesterday on Alaska. Bummer.

Since I'm MVPG with Alaska I just booked a round-trip that was around $125 and I'll cancel it after 24 hours to get the fare amount re-deposited to my account as a credit with no change fee.

Neil
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Would the reimbursement apply to an elite boost on American Airlines?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by isriam
you won't get your 2015 credit, it will be considered 2016. december ends in january, makes it a january statement.

So pissed that I missed this for 2015. I just got the card a few weeks ago and have been swamped at work. I missed the billing cutoff date so I will get the 2016 reimbursement. Ill dump this card for sure in 2016. I fugured I had until the end of december. They got me this time.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by isriam
If that's the case why does my statement for Nov 18 through December 16th say:

Remaining Balance: $128.74.
The credit will reset to $250.00 after your December 2016 billing cycle.
As well as:

Make the most of your flight experience. You have spent $121.26 of your Air Travel Credit. Apply the remaining balance to flight-related purchases such as airfare, baggage fees and upgrades.
That's two places on my statement that sure make it sound like I have another billing cycle before I've missed the chance in 2015.

Neil
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:31 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
If this is the case, my December billing cycle ended on December 2d. That hardly makes sense. I expected that if I made a qualifying purchase this year I would get the credit, but am I now being told that this year ended on December 2d?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by robertw477
So pissed that I missed this for 2015. I just got the card a few weeks ago and have been swamped at work. I missed the billing cutoff date so I will get the 2016 reimbursement. Ill dump this card for sure in 2016. I fugured I had until the end of december. They got me this time.
I got my card in late November. A week after I got it I bought $250 AA GCs. My first statement closed the DAY the AA GC hit my bill. Thankfully I got the credit. But your first cycle can be as short as a week, so best to make the $250 purchase within a couple of days of activating the card.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Bought a ticket on Alaska Air on 12/22/15, still no sign of the airline credit. Has me a bit nervous since the category is listed as "ALASKA AIRLINES" not "Air travel". The website does show a "You won’t be stranded. Medical Evacuation can help cover the cost of getting you home." ad along with the charge so I'm hopeful it is recognized as an airline thing and will get reimbursed soon.

Neil
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
...still no sign of the airline credit.
These credits appear when the statement is generated, not before.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by dickinson
Would the reimbursement apply to an elite boost on American Airlines?
I wondered about that too and I think so. And we should get 3x TYP for the purchase. The FAQs on the boost page state..

"What will be reflected on my credit card statement when I receive my monthly bill?

Your statement will indicate a purchase from American Airlines. The description will read "AAdvantage elite boost."

If I accept this offer using my Citi® / AAdvantage® or AAdvantage® Aviator™ MasterCard® credit card, will I also earn miles for the money I spend on the transaction?

Yes. You will earn AAdvantage miles based on the amount paid. However, this transaction will not qualify for earning double miles.

https://elite2016.aa.com/faq.cfm
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AOPA
I'm sure someone will compliant... about this CASH method being out there but here it is. It as been confirm to be working a dozen times.

Book a southwest flight (anytime or business fare) cost $250 or more. Once the charge posts on your accout, the you can cancel the flight for free.

Your $250 statement credit should hit at the closing of the billing cycle.

Citi has the worst IT system, their system do not recongonized refund. The credit will trigger with the purchase, it will post even the purchase is canceled in the same statement period.

This method generates $500 in cash(2 years of credit) to offset the cost of the annual fee. Just wonder which crapy blog will copy first.

Last edited by teddy25; Jan 3, 2016 at 10:32 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by teddy25
I'm sure someone will ..... about this CASH method being out there but here it is.

Book a southwest flight (anytime or business fare) cost $250 or more. Once the charge posts on your accout, the you can cancel the flight for free.

Your $250 statement credit should hit at the closing of the billing cycle.

Citi has the worst IT system, their system do not recongonized refund. The credit wlli trigger with the purchase, it will post even the purchase is canceled in the same statement period.
I'll use this when I don't need $250 credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.