Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi always transfers me to a "special" department when I call CSR. Anyone else?

Citi always transfers me to a "special" department when I call CSR. Anyone else?

Old Aug 28, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Every time I've called Citi CSR in the last few months, as soon as I identify myself, they say "As one of our most loyal customers, we'd like to transfer you to our special customer service department to address our needs."

Clearly my account is flagged, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I've had a number of closed/open accts - 7x Citi AA Exec, TYPremier, TYPreferred, 3x Citi HHonors, and a Citi Forward card, if that makes any difference.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it something I should be wary of?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
yes, its really annoying, especially when I'm trying get something quick and easy done, I finally get to a human and they make me hold some more, its the worst thing ever.
its not like the "special" dept does more for you. they're all in the US. I think the special one is in South Dakota. they always identify themselves.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:36 pm

It means your account is either flagged as very important and so your account is locked from standard reps ever seeing it or you're flagged because you're a pita difficult customer and only escalated reps can assist. Could be a good or bad thing.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by bbmatt
yes, its really annoying, especially when I'm trying get something quick and easy done, I finally get to a human and they make me hold some more, its the worst thing ever.
its not like the "special" dept does more for you. they're all in the US. I think the special one is in South Dakota. they always identify themselves.
I do notice when I get connected to a SD rep that they act much more professional/corporate. I prefer the Kentucky/Maryland/Florida reps, it feels like you're talking to a "real" person.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 11:03 pm

I get this every time. On a side note, when I got my prestige card they sent me a letter stating that I'm a valuable customer (hell if I knew why) and the fee is 350 instead of 450. With a 250 air charges rebate it makes this car quite a compelling product at a hundred bux per year. I guess I can stay on the phone for a minute longer...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Nick92
It means your account is either flagged as very important and so your account is locked from standard reps ever seeing it or you're flagged because you're a pita difficult customer and only escalated reps can assist. Could be a good or bad thing.
it's the citi prestige servicing center that I get. they can handle my other cards, but when i they touch the prestige, its a diff dept.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: ba gold
Originally Posted by xbohdpukc
I get this every time. On a side note, when I got my prestige card they sent me a letter stating that I'm a valuable customer (hell if I knew why) and the fee is 350 instead of 450. With a 250 air charges rebate it makes this car quite a compelling product at a hundred bux per year. I guess I can stay on the phone for a minute longer...
do you have a citigold account because that is the letter i got after i opened a citigold account so I'm guessing its the same for you
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by bbmatt
it's the citi prestige servicing center that I get. they can handle my other cards, but when i they touch the prestige, its a diff dept.
It's not only the Prestige. It's any of their premium cards. I had the same thing when I had the AA Executive card. I also get it when I call the number on my Hilton Reserve card. I don't mind it, because they tend to be "yes, ma'am, anything you want".
Old Sep 2, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by PHLisa
It's not only the Prestige. It's any of their premium cards. I had the same thing when I had the AA Executive card. I also get it when I call the number on my Hilton Reserve card. I don't mind it, because they tend to be "yes, ma'am, anything you want".
+1
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: Amex,Citi
Wink VIP == Virtually Impossible to Please

I suspect all the major banks do something like this, probably based on the total "relationship value" to them.

For example, when one of my cards was flagged for fraud (multiple attempts to buy football jerseys online, each with a different, wrong, expiration date), they called me before I even tried to use the card, apologized proactively, and offered to Fedex a replacement card overnight.
Originally Posted by xbohdpukc
CitiGold?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:49 pm

What is "special accounts" department?

I called this morning to ask whether the Citi Prestige card has been sent already and if it would be fedex or ups. I then waited on the phone for CSR to find out information for me. Within a minute she said there was a note on my account and that she needed to route me to Special Accounts for assistance.

What the heck is Special accounts? Is this a good thing or do I have a red flag.?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I can personally verified that this has nothing to do with Citigold.

As a Citigold client, each time I called Citicard, I have appreciated for being a long-term customer (since 2002) and Citigold client. But my phone call were not transferred unless necessary (like fraud prevention). It is always the first phone agent handling my call to the end.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Every time I've called Citi CSR in the last few months, as soon as I identify myself, they say "As one of our most loyal customers, we'd like to transfer you to our special customer service department to address our needs."

Clearly my account is flagged, but I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

I've had a number of closed/open accts - 7x Citi AA Exec, TYPremier, TYPreferred, 3x Citi HHonors, and a Citi Forward card, if that makes any difference.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is it something I should be wary of?
Are you also Citigold?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.