Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAD_flyer
Citi No Longer Allows Funding New Checking Accounts by CC as of 08-Feb-2016. Below information is historic.

1-800-745-1534 TO FUND

Cards that have been reported to NOT WORK

CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard - Will not load and loads as cash

Capital One

Barclay Priceline

Chase

Cards that have been report to WORK

Barclay Aviator

Citi AAdvantage

Citi Thank You Premier

BofA Travel card

BofA Alaska
Print Wikipost

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
To meet the AA $1000 debit card requirement, has anyone just bought a $1000 MO and had that work fine and gone on to receive the Bonus? I finally got my Debit card today (after a month) so I bought a money order at Walmart, strange the terminal required a signature but not my pin number. I have already done my bill pays. Think I am good to go?
It can be even easier than that, just do a Venmo debit, you don't even have to leave your couch!
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
I don't think I'll meet the Citigold minimum balance of $50K x 4 accounts to wave $30/mo fee, so how long does it take for the bonus miles to post? I believe a minimum of 2 months to meet the requirement and another 90 days or less after meeting the requirement. So that's $30x5=$150 per account. I read somewhere that the fee for the first 2 months are waved, but I don't that's really the case.

Did I get this right? Any suggestions?

TX
Has this question been answered -- Are the first 2 months fees waived for CitiGold account? By the miles reward program posted here http://thepointsguy.com/2015/10/50k-...cking-account/ it seems like I would need 2 months of account opening to satisfy the 50K requirements, plus 1 month for the statement end and miles posting.

So I am looking at minimum of 3 months fees, 3 x $30 = $90. Right?

Thanks
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:25 am
Community Director Emerita

This might be obvious to everyone but me. I learned I did the bill payments incorrectly. I used the ATM card number to do payments online. Oops, that was wrong. I was supposed to go into the checking account "payment and transfers" . On the right hand side, it says "add a bill pay payee". Once done, then the bill can be paid. This is the activity that has to be done on two consecutive months.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
This might be obvious to everyone but me. I learned I did the bill payments incorrectly. I used the ATM card number to do payments online. Oops, that was wrong. I was supposed to go into the checking account "payment and transfers" . On the right hand side, it says "add a bill pay payee". Once done, then the bill can be paid. This is the activity that has to be done on two consecutive months.
This is always how the bill pay requirement has been for checking accounts forever. I have never even seen a way to use your debit card to pay a bill; then it's just a purchase me thinks.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Lot of questions popping up about meeting $1000 spend. I haven't seen anything recently regarding if $1000 load via Serve at Walmart counts. I did this myself, and am waiting until my 2nd billpay hits tomorrow/this week before asking if I've met all the requirements, including the $1000 spend from loading my Serve account from my CG debit card. Will keep posted.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:23 pm

Phone Rep Suggests Citi Credit Cards Now Coding As Cash Advance

I just got off the phone with CitiGold New Accounts to check the status of the credit card funding for my account. I attempted to fund with my AA Platinum Mastercard after lowering the cash advance limit to $0 and placing a large purchase notification on the account. The rep informed me the transaction failed and further stated that CitiGold always run the transaction as a purchase, but that multiple customers have recently reported Citi credit cards are now coding as cash advances and not purchases as before. She then suggested I not use a Citi credit card because of the cash advance. It's worth noting that the rep brought this up on her own without my prodding.

Can anyone else provide a data point from this week when attempting to fund with their Citi credit card (specifically mastercard)? Hopefully I was just unlucky and I'll have success on a second attempt.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by rjs11
Can anyone else provide a data point from this week when attempting to fund with their Citi credit card (specifically mastercard)?
Yep.

Did you talk to the Citi CC fraud dept? It is a totally different department than Citigold new accounts and it helps to pretend that they are two totally separate companies for the purposes of this offer.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
Yep.

Did you talk to the Citi CC fraud dept? It is a totally different department than Citigold new accounts and it helps to pretend that they are two totally separate companies for the purposes of this offer.
I spoke with a Citi CC rep and was told the transaction failed because it coded as a cash advance, despite CitiGold running the transaction as a purchase.

So you successfully funded your CitiGold account this week with a Citi mastercard? Was your cash advance limit set to $0 and not $1 or higher? I recall data points in this thread had indicated problems funding with Citi visa cards with the cash limit set to $0, but not mastercards.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
My Citi MC CA limit is $0.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

Thank you for the extra direction. Can I simply pay a Citi card with money from my account? Will that count as a 'bill payment'?
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:30 pm

If you read the fine print of the offer I believe Citi is specifically excluded.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
What I found works well is that I simply send a message to Citi (or any other financial institution in question) and ask for verification that I have successfully met the requirements for the minimum spend and any other items (bill pay, etc) for the promo offers. They often write back I have met all requirements. I can then use that as leverage in case there are any issues down there. Once I noticed I never received my promo bonus (non-Citi) despite have a written email response from CSR stating I successfully met all requirements for the promo. I was able to use that message to revert the bank's denial and get my bonus.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by rjs11
Can anyone else provide a data point from this week when attempting to fund with their Citi credit card (specifically mastercard)? Hopefully I was just unlucky and I'll have success on a second attempt.
I did 9k yest with Prestige MC. Rep on the phone said without even asking that it will go through as purchase and asked us to inform our CC company of purchase coming thru. When i called citi, rep told me any funding or purchase via financial inst. is always cash advance. I told her not to worry and let the transaction pass if it comes through as a purchase.
Note- we tried twice with Thank you premier and both times didn't go through.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 10:41 pm

I funded a savings account last Friday with my AA plat without any issue. Did not call fraud beforehand, did not lower my CA limit. Took me about 2 minutes on the phone with the new account department.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Called Prestige card yesterday, advised them of incoming charge to fund account from Citi of 19k. Cash advance had already been set to 0 previously.

Called Citibank to fund card, got boilerplate spiel about how it could be coded as CA. Rep advised credit card transaction would take place between 0500-0530 this morning.

Checked this morning, I have pending 19k charge on my prestige card, no money in citigold account.

Will update when I know more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.