Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IAD_flyer
Citi No Longer Allows Funding New Checking Accounts by CC as of 08-Feb-2016. Below information is historic.

1-800-745-1534 TO FUND

Cards that have been reported to NOT WORK

CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard - Will not load and loads as cash

Capital One

Barclay Priceline

Chase

Cards that have been report to WORK

Barclay Aviator

Citi AAdvantage

Citi Thank You Premier

BofA Travel card

BofA Alaska
Print Wikipost

Funding CitiGold (or other) account with credit card?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by mia
Were you, or were you not targeted? Did you receive the offer directly from Citi or did you "find" it online?
I didn't copy the terms of the TYP offer but here are the exact terms of the AAdvantage offer. It does not state from where I must have received the communication.

"Terms and Conditions

This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who receive this communication. Offers for new consumer checking customers only, 18 years or older. Regular account charges apply. All accounts subject to approval and applicable terms and fees. Limit of one offer per customer and account. Offer may be modified or withdrawn at any time without notice, expires 12/31/15, is not transferable and cannot be combined with any other offer.

Fiduciary accounts (including Trust or Estate accounts) and business accounts are not eligible.

To qualify to earn American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles, open a new Regular Checking account in an eligible consumer account package (The Citigold Account, Citibank Account or Basic Banking Package) by 12/31/15. Then, within 60 days after account opening: the required minimum amount of purchases using the Citibank® Debit Card must be posted to the new checking account AND 1 qualifying bill payment must be posted to the new checking account each month for two consecutive calendar months.

Qualifying bill payments are those made using Citibank® Online, Citi Mobile® or CitiPhone Banking®. Bills paid by making a transfer between linked accounts and/or transfer payments made to accounts within Citibank or to accounts with Citibank affiliates do not qualify as bill payments for this offer.

Qualifying purchases are those made using the Card to buy goods and services and are net of returns and other adjustments. ATM withdrawals, cash back and bill payments do not qualify as Citibank Debit Card purchases. Net qualifying purchases are determined in Citibank's sole discretion and must post to the new account within 60 days of account opening.

AAdvantage® bonus miles are earned on a per account basis and based upon all debit card purchases by all customers when the new checking account is the primary account linked to a debit card.

**For details on consumer account package requirements and fees, visit www.citi.com/compareaccounts

At the time the AAdvantage® bonus miles are to be credited to your AAdvantage® account, your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card account and the new consumer Regular Checking account in an eligible consumer account package must all be open and in good standing.

Terms, conditions and fees for accounts, products, programs and services are subject to change.

American Airlines reserves the right to change the AAdvantage® program and its terms and conditions at any time without notice, and to end the AAdvantage® program with six months notice. Any such changes may affect your ability to use the awards or mileage credits that you have accumulated. Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage® program visit, aa.com/aadvantage.

American Airlines, AAdvantage, and AAdvantage Million Miler are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc.

©2015 Citibank, N.A. Member FDIC. Citi, Citibank, Citigold, Citi with Arc Design, Citi Mobile and CitiPhone Banking are registered service marks of Citigroup Inc."
Old May 4, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by mia
Were you, or were you not targeted? Did you receive the offer directly from Citi or did you "find" it online?
I jus used the code posted online. Didn't recieve a specific email from citi with the code.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:44 am

I originally messaged them, asked them specifically if I qualified, and in the message that I received (and saved) they said that I should qualify but would need to call in to get approval. Since I have no record of the call I'm not sure how I can document the assurances I received when I did the application. In addition, they are now claiming a differentiation between pin purchases where I entered my pin to complete the transaction and debit card purchases where the card was just swiped. Frustrating to say the least.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think this matters anymore, and it seems Citi is denying everybody the bonus, even those who actually received a targeted mailer.
Old May 4, 2016, 11:31 am

I think I'm going to chalk this one to "you win some, you lose some" and move on.
Old May 4, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by coffee18
I think I'm going to chalk this one to "you win some, you lose some" and move on.
I think it might work out. My guess is terms are same as AA 50k terms. If it's not mentioned in terms tat it mus be targeted to recieve the bonus than Citi doesn't have too much to hold on. Jus need someone to post copy of terms. It's not available online anymore.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005
I think it might work out. My guess is terms are same as AA 50k terms. If it's not mentioned in terms tat it mus be targeted to recieve the bonus than Citi doesn't have too much to hold on. Jus need someone to post copy of terms. It's not available online anymore.
I think Citi's banking side lives in a different world than their credit card side. Obviously they believe that they can change terms whenever, for whatever reason, and then not inform users about it. I think it's possible to get the points too, but may take an extraordinary amount of effort given that previously confirmed statements of bonus is non-relevant to them.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
I didn't copy the terms of the TYP offer but here are the exact terms of the AAdvantage offer. It does not state from where I must have received the communication.

"Terms and Conditions

This offer is available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who receive this communication. Offers for new consumer checking customers only, ...
No offense, but that's a rather absurd bit of lawyering.

Does anyone know if the TYP promo terms have been posted online anywhere (or earlier in this thread)?
Old May 4, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I had no idea you need to be targeted. I saw the online promo on various websites and figured that I was "targeted" because I had never been a Citigold account holder before, therefore I qualified for the promo. Legitimate confusion on my part. Not to mention Citi reps stringing me along the whole time saying that I would get my points within 90 days.

Leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but there are worse problems in the world.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:14 pm
Suspended

The "targeted" thing seems to be a copout. If people truly needed to be targeted, the promo code should never have been able to be attached to one's account.

People are constantly posting "targeted" codes online, but if a non-targeted person tries to use them, they're instantly advised of their ineligibility.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Going to be ticked off if I don't get the 50K AA miles in a few months. Gave the CC info to them the day they changed policy and was told everything is set. Find out that they wouldn't allow me to fund the account with the CC later.

I do have screenshots of them confirming that I'm eligible for the promo so we shall see how things go..
Old May 4, 2016, 4:53 pm

I have the chat message where I asked if I was eligible, told yes that I was but I would have to call in for them to apply the promotional offer.

Citi acknowledged the chat and said that I was given misinformation and that since I wasn't targeted that I could not get miles.

How can citi rep say yes in a chat and then citi say no, sorry about the misinformed csr, no miles for you.

Supervisor I spoke with said they are overwhelmed with calls about this right now and although they honored some in the beginning that the volume of accounts was too high and they were now denying everyone that wasn't specifically targeted.

Any others have chat sessions where they were advised they were eligible pm me. If we have enough, this could get class action status
Old May 4, 2016, 5:06 pm
Suspended

A class action would be a waste of time. Even if the class "wins," some lawyer will get $7 million while the class members will get a coupon for $17.

This is another perfect example of greedy churners ruining everything. People opened these accounts and didn't even pretend to be a new client.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
A class action would be a waste of time. Even if the class "wins," some lawyer will get $7 million while the class members will get a coupon for $17.

This is another perfect example of greedy churners ruining everything. People opened these accounts and didn't even pretend to be a new client.
or class members can get the 50k miles they are due if they have documentation that citi advised them they were eligible. and citi will learn that they can't just scam people without paying a price
Old May 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
and citi will learn that they can't just scam people without paying a price
Sadly, they will not learn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.