Citi Lost/Stolen/Delayed luggage reviews?

Old May 16, 15, 8:32 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,815
Citi Lost/Stolen/Delayed luggage reviews?

I've just found the need to try and make a claim on my Citi AA Exec card. My DSLR was stolen from an overhead bin on a ELP-PHX flight.

I learned that the card offers me $3,000 in lost or stolen baggage. Wondering if anyone has used this service?

How long did the process take?

How much of a process is it?

How does the refund work?

I bought this camera on sale for $599 + tax. A bag was an additional $15-20. And a memory card was an additional $20. The camera is $699 now, and I was wondering; if this is even approved, would I get a refund for the price I paid for it? Or the replacement cost?
factory81 is offline  
Old May 16, 15, 5:25 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
First, check to make certain that the policy covers carry-on. If it doesn't, your claim will be denied,

Second, read the policy for claims calculation. Most policies pay fair market value. That is, the $599 + extras - depreciation. Put simply, how much would you pay if you were offered that camera in that used condition if you were purchasing it on the open market? Likely far short of what you paid.

Third, make sure that you have the documentation required. If carry-on is covered, it may well require a copy of or at least the police report incident #.

Let us know the answers and you will get better advice here.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 17, 15, 8:40 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,815
Brand new Sony A6000 + accessories and lens brought carry-on. In the overhead bin.

Made a claim with Citi Exec credit card services (they routed me to their insurance company). The program had rules such as;

-Tickets for itinerary where items were lost/stolen on must be purchased with the Citi Exec card (they were)
-Items can be checked or carry-on
-I need to make a claim with the airliner (I have)
-All other insurances must be exhausted prior to using this (I didn't purchase trip insurance, I don't have home owners insurance. I only have health/auto insurance. So I have no insurance besides this to apply to the situation).

I went to a Sony authorized dealer and bought new items and have a receipt now for the replacement cost. In addition to this, I can also provide credit card statements and receipts of the stolen items for showing the original cost and time of purchase.

I want to be optimistic that Citi will replace a few month old 2015 camere model with a Sony warranty - with the identical model. I just don't see how it would be right to say that "Fair market" means I have to take a lesser payout to buy a...what? Refurb model with no warranty? A downgrade in model/lens?

Just to be clear - this camera really is new, the model is wildly popular and in high demand. This model is the iphone of the mirrorless DSLR market right now. This camera is the bees knees. You can use optics from the 1930's on it if you wanted.....

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
First, check to make certain that the policy covers carry-on. If it doesn't, your claim will be denied,

Second, read the policy for claims calculation. Most policies pay fair market value. That is, the $599 + extras - depreciation. Put simply, how much would you pay if you were offered that camera in that used condition if you were purchasing it on the open market? Likely far short of what you paid.

Third, make sure that you have the documentation required. If carry-on is covered, it may well require a copy of or at least the police report incident #.

Let us know the answers and you will get better advice here.
factory81 is offline  
Old May 17, 15, 10:54 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by factory81 View Post
Brand new Sony A6000 + accessories and lens brought carry-on. In the overhead bin.

Made a claim with Citi Exec credit card services (they routed me to their insurance company). The program had rules such as;

-Tickets for itinerary where items were lost/stolen on must be purchased with the Citi Exec card (they were)
-Items can be checked or carry-on
-I need to make a claim with the airliner (I have)
-All other insurances must be exhausted prior to using this (I didn't purchase trip insurance, I don't have home owners insurance. I only have health/auto insurance. So I have no insurance besides this to apply to the situation).

I went to a Sony authorized dealer and bought new items and have a receipt now for the replacement cost. In addition to this, I can also provide credit card statements and receipts of the stolen items for showing the original cost and time of purchase.

I want to be optimistic that Citi will replace a few month old 2015 camere model with a Sony warranty - with the identical model. I just don't see how it would be right to say that "Fair market" means I have to take a lesser payout to buy a...what? Refurb model with no warranty? A downgrade in model/lens?

Just to be clear - this camera really is new, the model is wildly popular and in high demand. This model is the iphone of the mirrorless DSLR market right now. This camera is the bees knees. You can use optics from the 1930's on it if you wanted.....
Have you tried the credit card you bought the items with too? Many cover against loss or damage for the first 90 days (or some other timeframe) after purchase.
Trinob is offline  
Old May 17, 15, 11:53 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 46,687
FMV doesn't mean you have to purchase a lesser model. All it means is that you take a financial hit for the difference between what you paid and the FMV. In fact, you could choose not to replace the camera at all and pocket the FMV payout.

Autos are the best example of this. Drive a brand new car off the lot and it loses 25% of its value as you leave the lot. Electronics should not be so much (although they become wholly obsolete faster).

Just keep plugging.
Often1 is offline  
Old May 17, 15, 12:59 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,815
I am just outside of this window

Originally Posted by Trinob View Post
Have you tried the credit card you bought the items with too? Many cover against loss or damage for the first 90 days (or some other timeframe) after purchase.
factory81 is offline  
Old May 17, 15, 6:00 pm
  #7  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 40,270
Originally Posted by factory81 View Post
Made a claim with Citi Exec credit card services (they routed me to their insurance company). The program had rules such as;
.
Did you also read the terms of the benefit? I wouldn't rely on Citi or their insurer's verbal explanation. Start with this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...1-23-14-a.html

Which should take you here:

https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf

Replacement cost and Fair Market Value appear to be irrelevant. They will reimburse what you actually paid:

Lost Baggage Protection
Say good-bye to baggage worries. You’re
covered if items are lost, stolen or damaged.
If your checked or carry-on luggage is permanently lost, stolen or
damaged by the common carrier on a trip you paid for in full with your
Citi card, we may refund the purchase price of the missing items or the
cost to repair the damaged items, whichever is less. You’re covered
for up to $3,000 per person, per trip ($2,000 per person, per bag, per
trip for New York residents), or up to $10,000 in total for all traveling
companions, whose entire common carrier fare is charged to your
Citi card.

A common carrier is a vehicle that’s licensed to transport any public
passenger who pays a fare or buys a ticket, and is available on a regular
schedule. Examples include planes, trains, ferries and cruise ships.
Common carrier does not include rental vehicles, taxicabs, limousines
or government owned or operated public transportation systems.

How long
am I covered?
While your baggage is checked
with or carried on board the
common carrier
Maximum coverage
per person, per trip
$3,000 ($2,000 per person, per bag,
per trip for New York residents)
Maximum coverage
per trip
$10,000

> WHO’S COVERED
Covers you and anyone traveling with you whose entire fare including
taxes and fees was charged on your Citi card.

> WHAT’S COVERED
A checked or carry-on item is covered unless it’s included in the What’s
not covered list below. We’ll cover the item’s purchase price (including
sales tax), or the cost of repairing it, whichever is less.
The coverage provided by this benefit is secondary.
This means if the common carrier or another source reimburses you for
any expenses, this benefit will cover only unreimbursed amounts.
To take advantage of this benefit, the following conditions must apply:
■ The trip was paid for in full including taxes and fees with your Citi
card, Citi reward points or a combination of both.
■ You must notify the airline or other common carrier and start their
claim process.
■ Your travel is on a common carrier.
■ If the item is part of a pair or set, your coverage will include only the
cost of the lost, stolen or damaged part(s), unless the item needs a
full replacement to make the item useable.

> WHAT’S NOT COVERED
Your coverage doesn’t apply to any of the following:
■ Antiques and collector’s items.
■ Cash (including rare or precious coins), checks, promissory notes or
any other fi nancial document that represents money.
■ Tickets, visas and other documents of value.
■ Furs.
■ Plants or animals, including stuffed or mounted animals or fi sh.
■ You’re not covered if you’re involved in fraudulent activity.
Coverage doesn’t apply to any item that’s lost, stolen or damaged
under these specifi c circumstances:
■ The baggage was shipped as freight before your departure.
■ Your travel is for commuting purposes.
■ The item has product defects, experiences normal wear and tear, has
been altered, or is exposed to pests or natural disasters.
■ You don’t take reasonable care of the item.
■ The item is seized by customs or any government agency.

> HOW TO FILE A CLAIM
Please follow the steps below and pay close attention to the deadlines to
make sure you remain eligible for coverage.
1. Remember, this is secondary coverage so please notify the
common carrier or other source for reimbursement and complete
their claim process fi rst.
2. Call 1-855-569-7446 as soon as possible after your baggage has
been lost, stolen or damaged. We’ll ask you a few basic questions,
send you a claim form and advise you of what documents we may
need to support your claim.
3. Return the claim form and all requested documents within 180
days of your baggage being lost, stolen or damaged. We’ll notify
you of our decision once we’ve processed your claim.
mia is offline  
Old May 17, 15, 10:15 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SF
Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Posts: 756
No idea why "fair market value" is even being mentioned here. That's not how it works.

If approved, you get your replacement cost reimbursed, the end.
patrick.barnes is offline  
Old May 18, 15, 11:41 am
  #9  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 40,270
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes View Post
No idea why "fair market value" is even being mentioned here.
...because that's how homeowner's insurance works, unless you choose a Replacement Cost policy or rider.
mia is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 4:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SEA / ORD
Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, AS Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 31
Had a great experience with baggage delay protection when by bags were delayed to Bali.

We were flying SQ Business Class from Sydney to Bali and when we got to the baggage carousel at Denpasar Airport, we saw our names on the dreaded laminated sign. Our bags didn't make it, but Singapore Airlines gave us the equivalent of $120 USD in Indonesian Rupiah on the spot and promised to deliver our bags within 48 hours which we thought was quite professional. Rarely are baggage agents in the US so proactive about offering compensation. They also handed us an irregularity report with all the documentation about the bags.

It wasn't too big of a deal because we were still stoked at the prospect of being in Bali, but then a lightbulb went off in my head. I remembered that even though it was an award ticket booked on miles, I had paid for taxes and fees on my Citi Prestige credit card which meant I had baggage delay insurance. I did a quick Google search and found this handy article by TPG which showed that we were entitled to $500 per traveller if our bags were delayed more than 3 hours.

I called Citi just to make sure it applied in our situation was covered and they said we were in the clear as long as we had the proper documentation, the purchases were in their covered list, and all purchases were made on our Citi Prestige card. According to Citi purchases can include "toiletries or a change of clothes, unless they’re included in the “What’s Not Covered.” The "What's Not Covered" list includes "Traveler’s checks, tickets of any kind (e.g., for airlines, sporting events, concerts, or lottery), passport, visas, negotiable instruments, bullion, rare, or precious metals, stamps, and coins, currency or its equivalent." More details can be found on page 14 of the Citi Prestige Guide.

The process of filing a claim is pretty straightforward where they asked for the billing statement, itinerary, replacement item receipts and proof of delay to be sent via email. It took a few calls to Citi to clarify the exact type of documentation, but within 2 days a $500 credit was applied to my account. This wasn't the full amount since there were two travelers on the itinerary, so I called once more to clarify there were two passengers traveling and 6 days later the second credit of $458.30 was posted to my account.

Pics and links included in a blog post - https://www.tsunamiseason.com/planes...ociti-prestige !
r_tsunami is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 5:49 pm
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Posts: 11,960
Originally Posted by r_tsunami View Post
I called Citi just to make sure it applied in our situation was covered and they said we were in the clear as long as we had the proper documentation, the purchases were in their covered list, and all purchases were made on our Citi Prestige card. According to Citi purchases can include "toiletries or a change of clothes, unless they’re included in the “What’s Not Covered.” The "What's Not Covered" list includes "Traveler’s checks, tickets of any kind (e.g., for airlines, sporting events, concerts, or lottery), passport, visas, negotiable instruments, bullion, rare, or precious metals, stamps, and coins, currency or its equivalent." More details can be found on page 14 of the Citi Prestige Guide.
This thread is about Trip Delay not Baggage Delay Protection. Furthermore there are only two bullet points in the WHAT’S NOT COVERED section but you didn't include the first and IMO the most important of the two; Any items not contained in the checked baggage.
seawolf is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 6:58 pm
  #12  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 40,270
Moderator action

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
This thread is about Trip Delay not Baggage Delay Protection.
I have moved r_tsunami's report into what may be a more appropriate thread.
mia is offline  
Old Sep 6, 17, 9:37 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SEA / ORD
Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, AS Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I have moved r_tsunami's report into what may be a more appropriate thread.
My apologies
r_tsunami is offline  
Old Sep 26, 17, 10:26 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,195
Originally Posted by r_tsunami View Post
I called Citi just to make sure it applied in our situation was covered and they said we were in the clear as long as we had the proper documentation, the purchases were in their covered list, and all purchases were made on our Citi Prestige card.
Something similar recently happened to my family and me - award tickets, taxes and fees paid for with Citi Prestige, delayed bags. (I've filed a claim with the airline because Citi's form asks if you've done so, so I figured they might require it - maybe they don't?)

Anyway, I tried to use my Prestige card for purchasing the replacement items, but for some reason it wouldn't work in the first store. A different card worked fine, so rather than hassle with the Prestige I just used the other card for all the purchases. I don't see anywhere in the fine print that it's required that you use your Prestige card for the purchases. Am I missing something, or was the agent misinformed?

(Edited to add: the Who's Covered sections says the following are covered by baggage delay insurance: "Covered Travelers which means, you, your Family Members, and Traveling Companion(s) traveling on the Trip." Presumably, then, if you use your Prestige card to buy a ticket for your uncle (Citi specifically lists uncles and aunts as being included in Family Members), and your uncle's bags are delayed, your uncle can file a claim. It's unlikely that your uncle will have your Prestige card with him, so I suspect that this isn't a rule that's enforced.)

Last edited by snic; Sep 26, 17 at 10:35 am
snic is offline  
Old Oct 16, 17, 6:59 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: HPN
Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Posts: 3,195
I'm happy to report that my claim for reimbursement of expenses due to delayed bags was payed in full by the Prestige insurance. These were award tickets and only the taxes were paid with the Prestige. Expenses totaled around $800 for 3 people for bags that were delayed by 2 days, and included laundry, toiletries, clothes, shoes, and a new suitcase to put it all in. None of these expenses were paid for with my Prestige card, and that wasn't a problem.
snic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: