Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone used the Citi Prestige Roadside Assistance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

AAA sent me our renewal packet and they now want $140 a year for wife and me. Seems steep. Noticed the Citi Prestige Roadside Assistance benefit and wonder if anyone has taken advantage, or knows anything about it.

Thanks for any info.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PLT
No experience, I just remember reading through the guide the other day and walking away wondering whether or not AUs on the card are covered:

WHO’S COVERED
This benefit covers you and authorized users of your card, as long as
their permanent residence is in the United States.

To take advantage of this benefit, the following conditions must apply:
You’re with the car.
To me, it's not immediately obvious if the second "you" also refers to an AU, given that a distinction is made elsewhere. If it's only the primary cardholder, the AAA membership is worth keeping.
Old May 5, 2015, 4:39 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
I would be amazed if it did not mean the primary cardholder must be with the car.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by IBobi
I would be amazed if it did not mean the primary cardholder must be with the car.
Interesting. I used it the other day to jump my cars battery at my house Called the Citi Prestige phone number (I'm an AU) who transferred me to a third party. Third party asked for some info about the car and the truck took a while (a little under 2 hours) but it came and they didn't even ask to see the card. I'm guessing it is just verified by your card number.
Old May 8, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by Efield7
Interesting. I used it the other day to jump my cars battery at my house Called the Citi Prestige phone number (I'm an AU) who transferred me to a third party. Third party asked for some info about the car and the truck took a while (a little under 2 hours) but it came and they didn't even ask to see the card. I'm guessing it is just verified by your card number.
Interesting indeed. It sounds like it's the Citi CSR's job to be the gatekeeper in this situation; once they transfer you to the third party dispatch service, I doubt anyone checks the card.
Old May 8, 2015, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
Interesting indeed. It sounds like it's the Citi CSR's job to be the gatekeeper in this situation; once they transfer you to the third party dispatch service, I doubt anyone checks the card.
That sounds correct, which means the OP could use it for their spouse, but the primary cardholder would be responsible for calling Citi to initiate the process (may not be feasible for some).
Old May 8, 2015, 9:26 pm

I was wondering the same thing. Though I also find the AAA rates to be often the best hotel rates, so I'd hesitate to give that up.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by happytraveling
I was wondering the same thing. Though I also find the AAA rates to be often the best hotel rates, so I'd hesitate to give that up.
True, but AARP is generally the same price. Of course, you have to be nearing 50 or spouse of an over-50. I think.

Thanks for responses. I imagine the Citi Roadside must call mostly the same exact guys as AAA does, right?
Old May 13, 2015, 6:56 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I have not looked into the Prestige, but I did use the similar coverage back when I had a Citi Platinum Amex (~5 years ago). My car got rear-ended while parked in downtown Detroit. I wanted it towed closer to home for the repair so I called the number on my Citi card. They connected me to a roadside assistance company (not Citi or AAA, but some other third party) who arranged a tow and sent an independent truck. Citi arranged the payment, but it was not free. IIRC it was $40 for up to 15 miles, then I paid a bit more because I went about 20 miles.

This is the one time in 20+ years I needed a tow, so $40 was MUCH better than AAA fees for 20 years. It was also an assurance of getting reliable service/price instead of just calling the first number in the phone book.

Also be sure to check your auto policy and auto manufacturer for cheap coverage. Progressive charged me $3 every six months for roadside assistance very similar to what AAA provides. I am now with GEICO who has a similar service, but Chrysler provides me with free roadside assistance on my 2013 Ram for 5 years or 100K miles, so no point in even paying the $6/year.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So is anyone canceling their AAA memberships now that they have Citi Prestige? Im thinking of doing that since this benefit comes with my card. Thoughts?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So is anyone canceling their AAA memberships now that they have Citi Prestige? Im thinking of doing that since this benefit comes with my card. Thoughts?
I got the Prestige card not long ago, and decided to keep AAA.

Their maps and state books, which are free with membership, used to make them an excellent value until not too long ago, though this benefit has diminished with easy access to mapping apps almost anywhere.

However, their hotel and rental car discounts are usually quite good. I have access to corporate discounts on some hotel chains and Hertz through my employer, during weekdays those are the best I can get, but on weekends AAA is almost always better.

There are also AAA discounts at a lot of other places... even at Denny's! (yes, that restaurant chain...)
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:47 am

You guys should all take a look at Motor Club of America. Its about $240 a year but its WELL worth it. Unlimited Towing (no mileage restrictions). I was with AAA but after having an accident and having to pay for that mileage it was like whats the point? They also have accidental death protection as well so much more than these other companies.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I cancelled my AAA membership in the spring, as I haven't used it in about ten years or so. The hotel discount has been negligible for me, so we'll try our luck if/when I try roadside assistance through the Prestige card.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:00 am

I hit some debris on the road last week and was forced to stop in the middle of nowhere (400 miles away from home and 25 miles away from the nearest city). Because my Citi Prestige was the only premium CC I had on me at the time I called Citi to get a tow truck to my location. CSR picked up instantly (it felt like it didn't even ring once) and I was quickly transferred to a third party dispatch service who wrote down my name, phone number and location.

I received a call back about 30 minutes later letting me know they are having a hard time finding a tow truck (it was a Sunday evening, and again I was in the middle of nowhere). Another 30 minutes and I received a second call back letting me know they are still looking. Then a third call soon after because they finally found a tow truck: it would be at my location within the hour, and since only the first 10 miles are free I'll have to pay him $85 cash for the additional 15 miles.

Tow truck showed up about an hour later, made sure I was aware of the $85 cash fee, then towed my car. I'll spare the rest of the story since it has little to do with the Prestige benefit.

Overall I'd say it was pretty smooth, no surprises.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.