Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card - Just Closed - No Reason Given

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card - Just Closed - No Reason Given

Old May 11, 2015, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
So soon we forget about the culling by Citi a mere 2 years ago?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...disclosed.html

Not to bore you with details, but, it wasn't just manufacturers in general and TY Preferred users in particular that were nuked, many habitual 'bonus abusers' were as well (with nary a manufacturing done, let alone even having said TY Preferred card)
Interesting. I never read that thread while it was current. I browsed it now but cannot figure out what drove the account closings.

I have churned only to collect AA miles. At its height I was getting two cards at a time, 75K miles each for $1500 spend. Neither I nor others doing the same ever got shut down. I am not sure what the difference is, and I cannot find details in that long thread of "many habitual 'bonus abusers' were as well (with nary a manufacturing done, let alone even having said TY Preferred card)"
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:56 pm

any update?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Walter Mitty
any update?
After about a dozen written letters to the office of the president of citicards (that's the only option they gave me for communication as no one on the phone line was able to "see" anything) I gave up on the battle in November. I never MS'. I did churn the Citi exec when the 100,000 offer was around. Apparent culprit was a item dispute I made for a small amount, under $20 I believe that triggered a manual look into my account (all my speculation) that maybe they saw I was costing them more money than they were making so they pulled the plug on me. I did call annually to take advantage of a retention offer, i.e. Fee waived and double miles. None of this they will confirm in any of the letters they wrote. All the letters were pretty form with the same verbiage that they have decided to no longer honor the credit card agreement. I asked in letter form if this meant I was blacklisted or if I will ever be able to apply for a Citi product again....no response to that question.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:47 am

Do they claw back the AA miles that are posted in your aa account?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

No claw back to any miles. Seems they just felt I wasn't profitable to keep as a customer.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:02 pm

Same runaround and waiting on letter from South Dakota. If one has legitimate or non legitimate disputes, it doesn't matter. The more you dispute per month, and they offer you permanent credits, eventually you'll be black listed. Happened to me with chase, and for year's I couldn't get a card. My father's card and wife's cards were cancelled, due to same address I had for a while until I switched address. Now year's later, everyone has a chase card and I promised not to open up too many disputes, aka barely doing any business with them except for balance transfers.

Have a bad experience with your food, dispute a portion for not fresh,not hot, etc, you'll get a permanent credit up to 20 bucks or so and then above 20 or 25 a conditional credit. Then, citi fights with place of transactions to try to get their monies back and if they can't, they take the loss. Not my problem, but in the end I become their problem, it's obvious now.

Last edited by mia; May 24, 2016 at 12:45 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Stumbled upon this thread today and WOW!!!! I had no idea about these shutdowns!!! I just started buying Simon GC a week back, guess will stop it now!!!!

Too much to lose to get few thousand points / miles!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

2years later I've watched the wait period go from 18months to 24months. I'm considering attempting to apply for a new Citi aadvantage 60k bonus and see if I get approved or if I truly am blacklisted. 840 credit score as of today and 0 inquiries on report in last 24months.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Sup3r52man
2years later I've watched the wait period go from 18months to 24months. I'm considering attempting to apply for a new Citi aadvantage 60k bonus and see if I get approved or if I truly am blacklisted. 840 credit score as of today and 0 inquiries on report in last 24months.
I see no downside to try. The 24 mo clock is reset only if you're approved.
While you're at 0/24, why not consider one or more of Chase offerings?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ELAL747
Same runaround and waiting on letter from South Dakota.
If you believe those people from SD are working on your case, think again.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Sup3r52man
They've likely perma-blacklisted your SSN. However, doesn't hurt to try and apply anyways in the small chance that it does go through.

If it turns out you are indeed blacklisted, the question then becomes was it worth it to trade all potential future bonuses with citi for a few 100k AA signups?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zhaofa90
They've likely perma-blacklisted your SSN. However, doesn't hurt to try and apply anyways in the small chance that it does go through.

If it turns out you are indeed blacklisted, the question then becomes was it worth it to trade all potential future bonuses with citi for a few 100k AA signups?
Barclays has already started stealing business from Citi in the AAdvantage Market. And with the devaluation of AA points multiple times this past decade I am not too concerned with the fact if little bank Citi wants to take its ball and go home. Its a learning experience non-the-less but many other banks out there and new banks to come.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by zhaofa90

Like all things Citi, I doubt any ban would be permanent. After a disagreement in 2003 with Citi they closed my accounts and I had no interest in opening new ones. In 2011, when I found FT and started churning, Citi fell all over themselves to make me a happy customer, going strong after 6 years.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

40 Months later, for those interested, applied on a whim and was approved. I had to send in proof of my residence via a utility bill since I had moved, I was surprised and even asked if anything else came up they said no we are happy to approve you.
MaxVO likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.