Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card - Just Closed - No Reason Given

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card - Just Closed - No Reason Given

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
That would be news to me and to a lot of other people who are canceling exec card after exec card without paying the fee and easily getting approved for new ones.
exactly - a lot of people are doing this, and I haven't heard of this happening to people
Old May 2, 2015, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

For your reading enjoyment. Apparently a dispute that I entered in the Citicards.com website for a duplicate charge in the amount of $34.77 which Citi Dispute approved and gave me credit for is the reason my account was closed. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Last edited by mia; May 3, 2015 at 11:19 am Reason: Remove unviewable image
Old May 2, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
They make it sound like they credited you for the duplicate charge, but still don't believe you. So, no, it makes no sense at all. The fact that their letter is so vague is very disconcerting. I'd be disgusted at the very least.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sup3r52man
For your reading enjoyment. Apparently a dispute that I entered in the Citicards.com website for a duplicate charge in the amount of $34.77 which Citi Dispute approved and gave me credit for is the reason my account was closed. Does this make any sense to anyone?
Several years ago I had a well documented billing dispute to a Citi card decided against me. They appeared to be biased in favor of merchants in billing disputes. So I stopped using Citi CC's for charges that were potentially high risk for billing errors.

In your case, Citi probably had no wiggle room to deny your claim. So I'm seeing this as a spiteful gesture. I think you have little to gain at this point by raising your profile even further on their radar. It would be least aggravating for you to leave them alone for some time, then apply for another card (with a new signup bonus).
Old May 2, 2015, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Several years ago I had a well documented billing dispute to a Citi card decided against me. They appeared to be biased in favor of merchants in billing disputes. So I stopped using Citi CC's for charges that were potentially high risk for billing errors.

In your case, Citi probably had no wiggle room to deny your claim. So I'm seeing this as a spiteful gesture. I think you have little to gain at this point by raising your profile even further on their radar. It would be least aggravating for you to leave them alone for some time, then apply for another card (with a new signup bonus).
I guess my biggest concern would be do we think this could have caused me to end up on citis blacklist and how would I know? Since all the CSRs are allowed to tell me is write a letter.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:29 am

What's the dispute about? You had unauthorized charge on your account and you got it credited back after disputing it but than Citi canceled your card?

What does the letter say?

Last edited by mia; May 3, 2015 at 11:20 am Reason: Remove unviewable image
Old May 3, 2015, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess my biggest concern would be do we think this could have caused me to end up on citis blacklist and how would I know? Since all the CSRs are allowed to tell me is write a letter.
For now, stop asking them about the card being cancelled. Focus on the dispute itself. If you think the dispute was legitimate, see if you can find out why they think the opposite.

The CSRs may not be allowed to tell you why you card was cacnelled if that's what you ask, but someone (probably higher up than a front-line CSR) may be able to discuss the dispute status (and nothing but the dispute status) with you over the phone.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
What's the dispute about? You had unauthorized charge on your account and you got it credited back after disputing it but than Citi canceled your card?

What does the letter say?
The dispute was a duplicate charge. I waited a few days to see if the duplicate would fall off and it never did so I opened a dispute and the dispute was approved and a permanent credit was applied.

As far as the account itself Im not sure if they even can reopen closed accounts. My main concern is why they just closed it without reaching out to me or obtaining additional information from me and whats the likelihood I will be allowed to apply for another card in the future.

I will repost an image of the letter, looks like my first posted letter is no longer showing.

Last edited by Sup3r52man; May 3, 2015 at 7:32 am
Old May 3, 2015, 9:19 am

It sounds like you have a case to resolve this with their highest office but we still don't know things like what and how and amount and postings of those charges.

BTW, still can't see the image you are trying to upload

Last edited by mia; May 3, 2015 at 11:30 am Reason: Remove unviewable image
Old May 3, 2015, 11:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

The unviewable images have been removed. I believe the problem is the filenaming used by the site where the image is hosted, but I may be mistaken. You may find this thread, or one linked to it, helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...mage-post.html
Old May 3, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
It sounds like you have a case to resolve this with their highest office but we still don't know things like what and how and amount and postings of those charges.

BTW, still can't see the image you are trying to upload
Agreed, its ridiculous that every number that I call with citi and after speaking to supervisors can tell me anything other than "it says to write a letter". I tell them I received a letter and it stated closed due to a dispute who can I talk to and resolve this or at least get a better explanation? Is there a number to the highest office? Seems pretty absurd that only communication on this can be done through the mail. Its like they did it and don't want to answer or explain why.

Lets try a link to the letter instead of the image:
http://ppl.ug/SgYTJ8ALimI/

Last edited by Sup3r52man; May 3, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 2:10 pm
mia

The letter seems unambiguous, they have concluded that you "misrepresented" the details in a dispute. I understand that you don't believe that you did so. I would write a letter asking them to identify the specific details which their investigation determined had been misrepresented. In my view this is not the type of problem that you would want to address by telephone, because there is no accountability.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:48 pm

Agreed, its ridiculous that every number that I call with citi and after speaking to supervisors can tell me anything other than "it says to write a letter". I tell them I received a letter and it stated closed due to a dispute who can I talk to and resolve this or at least get a better explanation? Is there a number to the highest office? Seems pretty absurd that only communication on this can be done through the mail. Its like they did it and don't want to answer or explain why.
It seems quite clear that, because they are essentially accusing you of fraud, no phone representative will discuss it with you. Not gonna happen. You can write a letter, or you can have a lawyer write a letter, but it has to be handled at higher levels and not by CSRs.

And it's clear that you will not get another Citi card unless this is resolved in your favor.

It seems pretty jerky of Citi to make an accusation and not specify the details. They need to say more than they have said. They may have assumed that you know what you did to upset them; and maybe you do know.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 3, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
It seems quite clear that, because they are essentially accusing you of fraud, no phone representative will discuss it with you. Not gonna happen. You can write a letter, or you can have a lawyer write a letter, but it has to be handled at higher levels and not by CSRs.

And it's clear that you will not get another Citi card unless this is resolved in your favor.

It seems pretty jerky of Citi to make an accusation and not specify the details. They need to say more than they have said. They may have assumed that you know what you did to upset them; and maybe you do know.
Honestly I do not know, I submitted the dispute stating it was a duplicate charge and I only approved 1 charge not two. I gave the date, location, time and all information requested. I submitted the dispute and the system said I would recieve notification if anything else is required. The next day I had a message in my citicards inbox saying my dispute was approved and a permanent credit would be applied. Then 2 days after the credit showed on my transaction history my account was closed out with no heads up or notification given. I looked like a dead beat who doesnt pay his bills trying to buy Milk at the grocery store when it came back declined. I checked my citiapp and it was shutdown saying to call a number. Calling the number does nothing for as they can not help me and they say write a letter. I understand they can deny credit to anyone at anytime but after 4 years to just rip it away from me without asking for more info or reaching out to me over $34.77 dispute seems a bit shotty. I swipe this card over 300 times a year for around $40k each year. $34.77 gets me banned without asking questions if they didnt like the dispute?
Old May 3, 2015, 3:43 pm
mia

The dispute was a duplicate charge.
Only a guess, but perhaps the dispute was not investigated as a duplicate. The merchant produced evidence that you authorized "a" charge, and no one looked to see that two transactions had been processed. Were the transactions for the identical amount at nearly the same date and time?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.