Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA, KLM, United, Amex, Chase, Hilton
I just applied for the card and was approved.

I already have like ~20k thank you points in my account from a citi bank account and a no-fee citi card.

will my existing points now be combined with my new points so i could do flight redemptions at 1.25?
Old May 15, 2015, 2:48 pm

Anyone got their sexy new card yet? this old design one I have urgg...
Old May 15, 2015, 3:07 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by laybear
Anyone got their sexy new card yet? this old design one I have urgg...
My Premier came in a big box with the old design on the card... My wife's came in a tiny envelope with the new card design!
Old May 15, 2015, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MissMiles
I just applied for the card and was approved.

I already have like ~20k thank you points in my account from a citi bank account and a no-fee citi card.

will my existing points now be combined with my new points so i could do flight redemptions at 1.25?
This is the source of a lot of confusion over in the Prestige thread. I really think Citi either needs to make all TY points equal or to rename the different currencies.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
This is the source of a lot of confusion over in the Prestige thread. I really think Citi either needs to make all TY points equal or to rename the different currencies.
so they don't mix?
Old May 15, 2015, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by NDN
My Premier came in a big box with the old design on the card... My wife's came in a tiny envelope with the new card design!
For me, I don't care what it looks like as long as it earns a great multiplier of TY points. As far as confusion of TY point value, yes, it's confusing. Suffice it to say that most are reporting that if you're not earning TY points via credit card bonuses/spend on the card, they aren't transferable to partners (to me, that's the most value and why I signed up for the card.)
Old May 16, 2015, 12:16 am

right but let's say you've earned some points already and then you get the card and earn points using the card and from the sign up bonus. Do the points get added together in one pool to be redeemed (for 1.25x now since I have the card) or will there be two accounts- one for the points earned before (from a no fee card) and another for the points earned using the citi premier card?

Last edited by mia; May 16, 2015 at 12:54 am
Old May 16, 2015, 12:56 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's up to you to decide if you want to merge the ThankYou Rewards accounts from your various cards, bank accounts, etc. If you do merge them they can all be redeemed as if they were earned with the best card (except that there are restrictions on Sharing or Transferring taxable points earned though banking. If you don't have a Citi bank account which earns TYP you don't need to think about that exception.)
Old May 16, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by mia
It's up to you to decide if you want to merge the ThankYou Rewards accounts from your various cards, bank accounts, etc. If you do merge them they can all be redeemed as if they were earned with the best card (except that there are restrictions on Sharing or Transferring taxable points earned though banking. If you don't have a Citi bank account which earns TYP you don't need to think about that exception.)
Great thanks. Question, why wouldn't someone want to merge the accounts?
Old May 17, 2015, 5:51 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MissMiles
Great thanks. Question, why wouldn't someone want to merge the accounts?
This may change, but to now ThankYou Points expire 30 days after the specific card which earned them is cancelled. You cannot tell Citi which points you want to redeem, they always use the points nearest to expiration first. If you link all of your cards to a single ThankYou Rewards account you might have to redeem all of your points, from all cards, to avoid losing the points from a cancelled card if that card's points had no expiration date.
Old May 17, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by mia
...losing the points from a cancelled card if that card's points had no expiration date.
Are you claiming that points with no expiration can disappear from an account?
I was under the impression that expiration was the only process (other than redemption or transfer) by which Citi can subtract points from accounts.
Old May 18, 2015, 11:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Are you claiming that points with no expiration can disappear from an account?
Yes. Citi makes changes to the ThankYou Rewards published terms without any notice. Previously the terms stated that points expire 30 days after the card which earned them was closed. This was true even if the points otherwise had no predetermined expiration date. Today the terms refer us back to the terms of the individual card (or other product) which earns the points:

Unless otherwise stated in these terms and conditions, ThankYou Points accumulate and expire as described in your Citi Account materials or in ThankYou Rewards promotional materials. ThankYou Point accumulation and expiration status can be accessed on the My Point Summary section of My Account at thankyou.com. ThankYou Points contributed directly into your ThankYou Member Account are also on the My Point Summary section of My Account on thankyou.com. Unless otherwise noted in your promotional materials, Points which are contributed directly by ThankYou Rewards will expire three years from the end of the year in which they are awarded to you. Please keep the Citi Account materials and promotional materials for your records because they are part of these Citi ThankYou Rewards Terms and Conditions.
This means that you need to look at the printed terms which were in effect at the time you applied for each of your cards to see if the points expire when you close the account.

If you do not have those terms I think the worst case is that they may expire 30 days after the card account is closed, even if you have other cards linked to the same ThankYou Rewards account. This may be unnecessarily cautious.

If you are new to ThankYou Rewards it may be helpful to know that Citi has frequently tinkered with the program since inception, and it's risky to allow points to accumulate.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes. Citi makes changes to the ThankYou Rewards published terms without any notice. Previously the terms stated that points expire 30 days after the card which earned them was closed. This was true even if the points otherwise had no predetermined expiration date. Today the terms refer us back to the terms of the individual card (or other product) which earns the points:

This means that you need to look at the printed terms which were in effect at the time you applied for each of your cards to see if the points expire when you close the account.

If you do not have those terms I think the worst case is that they may expire 30 days after the card account is closed, even if you have other cards linked to the same ThankYou Rewards account. This may be unnecessarily cautious.

If you are new to ThankYou Rewards it may be helpful to know that Citi has frequently tinkered with the program since inception, and it's risky to allow points to accumulate.
I'm aware of the terms, and they profusely use the words "Expire" and "Expiration". If the TY points without an attached card expire in 30 days, it implies a defined expiration date. So again, what did you mean earlier stating that those points had no expiration? Are some expiration dates not visible perhaps?
Old May 19, 2015, 2:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I'm aware of the terms, and they profusely use the words "Expire" and "Expiration". If the TY points without an attached card expire in 30 days, it implies a defined expiration date. So again, what did you mean earlier stating that those points had no expiration? Are some expiration dates not visible perhaps?
I have two Citi cards which earn ThankYou points which expire after a specified number of months, even if the card is still open, or after 30 days if the card is closed . I also have a Prestige card which earns points which do not expire provided the card which earned them is still open -and- provided that the ThankYou Rewards program has not been terminated. If the Prestige card is cancelled those points expire in 30 days. If the program is terminated all points expire in 90 days.

Citi may have changed the rule which causes points to expire 30 days after the card which earned them is closed, but they have not explicitly stated this. Instead they have removed the language from the ThankYou Rewards terms and pushed the determination back to the terms of each individual card, at the time it was issued.
Old May 19, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Citi may have changed the rule which causes points to expire 30 days after the card which earned them is closed, but they have not explicitly stated this. Instead they have removed the language from the ThankYou Rewards terms and pushed the determination back to the terms of each individual card, at the time it was issued.
Thanks for the details. I understand the above to mean that the TY program lost the ability to track expiration dates of orphan points (from closed CC) -- and for that reason will not redeem them first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.