Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
I have had the prestige for less than a year, does this mean i have to wait until 24 months has elapsed before applying for Premier?
Yes, if you want to earn the new account Premier bonus.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navatwal
I have had the prestige for less than a year, does this mean i have to wait until 24 months has elapsed before applying for Premier?
To earn the bonus on the Premier, you have to wait 24+ months from when you opened the Prestige as long as long as you keep it open (even if you have to pay its steep annual fee) all that time. But if you close the Prestige, then you'll have to wait 24+ months from when you close the Prestige.

And I say "24+" because Citi is notorious for counting time incorrectly (to your detriment), so it's better to pad a bit beyond 24 months to be absolutely safe. But by when, you may need to pay another annual fee on the Prestige perhaps.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Slickw
I've seen this mentioned in the AA threads but apparently not here. I closed my Prestige and Premier cards about 6 months ago. Now using the Citi pre-qualifed offers page I get an offer for the Premier 50K points 4K spend with no 24 month language only "This offer is valid for new accounts only." I assume this should be good for the bonus?
Originally Posted by ninim2200
if it doesn't show the 24 month language it should be safe to apply or (worth the risk), i would still read the terms and and see if that language is mentioned somewhere else. we had episodes of emailers that had invitation codes to apply, the application link didn't show the 24m language but the email did, so people didn't get the bonus.
Received the card today. No mention of a bonus in the "account approval notice letter." I read through all the terms and conditions during the application process and this was the only relevant language "This offer is valid for new accounts only" no 24 months language.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
if all your spending post to your account before your statement closes the points normally post on the statement. YMMV.
Hey thanks for responding. Do you know if the points will get posted immediately after the closing date? Or we normally have to wait a few days to a week?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by arandomflyer
Hey thanks for responding. Do you know if the points will get posted immediately after the closing date? Or we normally have to wait a few days to a week?
My recently opened Prestige points posted when the statement cut.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Ratamacue
My recently opened Prestige points posted when the statement cut.
Good to know ^ thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:48 pm

I've seen a ton of mentions of Premier being able to get 1.25 cents using the Travel portal for both airfare and hotel... but on the 50k sign up page it says the 25% portal bonus is only for airfare?

Did they change this recently or is the signup page wrong?

(and if the signup page is wrong, anybody have a Citibank.com link showing the 1.25 value is good for hotels too?)

I've got more airline points than I can reasonably use for a while, but $625 toward hotels without being tied to a specific chain would be handy.

thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:59 am

Does the MS angle for this card still work at minus 4? Still debating whether to get this or to get the 75K Prestige...
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:38 pm
mia

Originally Posted by kurtz9
I've seen a ton of mentions of Premier being able to get 1.25 cents using the Travel portal for both airfare and hotel......
Do you have links to blogs or posts where you have seen the claim that ThankYou points are worth $0.0125 when redeemed for hotels? That's the correct rate for Chase Ultimate Rewards points (with several cards), but I do not specifically remember it in connection with Citi Premier.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Do you have links to blogs or posts where you have seen the claim that ThankYou points are worth $0.0125 when redeemed for hotels? That's the correct rate for Chase Ultimate Rewards points (with several cards), but I do not specifically remember it in connection with Citi Premier.
Tons, yeah-

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...ankyou-points/

the Premier card offers 1.25 cents per point value towards travel awards (flights, hotels, cruises, car rentals, etc.) whereas the Prestige card offers that value only for flights
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/citi-...-whats-better/

Points are worth 1.25˘ towards flights on both cards but
Worth 1˘ when redeeming for cash with Citi Prestige
Worth 1.25˘ when redeeming for all travel with Citi Premier (e.g Hotels)
https://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/...nkyou-premier/

Citi ThankYou Premier cardholders can now redeem Citi ThankYou points for 1.25 cents each towards:

Airfare
Car Rentals (new)
Cruises (new)
Hotels (new)
That last one is from June 2015- and is apparently about when they added the 1.25 value for ALL travel not just airfare for Premier.

The first two are much more recent (within the last month) that still mention that benefit.

But the application for the card only mentions 1.25 for airfare.

Hence my confusion.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by kurtz9
I've seen a ton of mentions of Premier being able to get 1.25 cents using the Travel portal for both airfare and hotel... but on the 50k sign up page it says the 25% portal bonus is only for airfare?

Did they change this recently or is the signup page wrong?

(and if the signup page is wrong, anybody have a Citibank.com link showing the 1.25 value is good for hotels too?)
Based on the screenshot Greg provided, it appears that TY points are indeed worth 1.25 cpp when redeemed for hotels with a Premier card:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ratamacue; Aug 29, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on the screenshot Greg provided, it appears that TY points are indeed worth 1.25 cpp when redeemed for hotels with a Premier card:

[image which shows "complimentary 4th night benefit" not quoted, see original post]
A complimentary 4th night benefit on the Premier? I'd only heard of that on the Prestige before:
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:02 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sdsearch
A complimentary 4th night benefit on the Premier? ...
No, if you follow the link to the original blog article, the author is illustrating that holding the Premier allows redemption of all the points in the ThankYou Rewards account at the higher rate, even when using a Prestige feature.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:48 pm

Greg at the Frequent Miler followed up the above article with a detailed deconstruction of the math behind his analysis:

I think that the entire topic is better understood in terms of discounts rather than point value. Via this approach, we get:
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve: 33.33% pay with points discount towards travel rewards
  • Citi Prestige: 4th Night Free = 25% discount for 4 night stays with no taxes, but no additional point discount
  • Citi Premier: 20% pay with points discount towards travel rewards
  • Pooled Prestige plus Premier: Prestige 25% discount combines with Premier 20% discount = 40% discount

...it is possible to stack the Prestige 4th Night Free discount with the Premier 20% pay with points discount. Whether you want to do the latter depends on whether you value your ThankYou points at or below 1.25 cents each, and whether you’re willing to accept the ThankYou portal’s online booking limitations.
As a brand new Prestige cardholder interested in hotel redemptions, this analysis was enough to get me to sign up for a Premier card (sans bonus) too.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:12 pm
mia

Greg at the Frequent Miler ...topic is better understood in terms of discounts rather than point value.
This premise assigns the points an arbitrary value of $0.01, but that's inaccurate. They can be used for flights at the same rate $0.0125, which means the are worth exactly $0.0125. Redeeming 10,000 points worth $0.0125 each for a $125 hotel night isn't a "discount".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.