Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.


    Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

    Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchantís premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.


    We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

    If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:44 pm
  #916  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 2,035
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Thanks, it works incognito for me too, so I added it to the wiki.
Link worked for me without using incognito.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:31 am
  #917  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by krdvg
50k/4k offer seems to be back.
Open in incognito - https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card
That's great for those who cancelled all of their TYPs cards over 24 months ago. For those of us who have a TYPs card/cards still open, that were issued over 24 months ago, several posts from the last week or so make it an open question if we will get a sign up bonus from a new app.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:35 am
  #918  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
That's great for those who cancelled all of their TYPs cards over 24 months ago. For those of us who have a TYPs card/cards still open, that were issued over 24 months ago, several posts from the last week or so make it an open question if we will get a sign up bonus from a new app.
For those who maybe haven't seen them, the posts I'm referring to are on the Prestige thread. But since they reference both Prestige and AA apps, they probably apply to Premier apps as well.
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:28 am
  #919  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,164
Here is the app link for 50k-4k spending hopefully it will work without the need of incognito mode/landing page
ninim2200 is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:31 pm
  #920  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CLT
Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 2,074
My last open/close date on Prestige/Premier/Preferred is July 30, 2015. When am I safe to apply for the Premier 50k offer and qualify for the bonus?
dukerau is offline  
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:00 pm
  #921  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,964
Originally Posted by ninim2200
Here is the app link for 50k-4k spending hopefully it will work without the need of incognito mode/landing page
Neither link necessarily needs an incognito window. But it's a good idea to use one, because it's been a documented case before with Citi that if you clicked on one poorer offer link for card X and then clicked on another better offer link for the same card X, and decided to apply with the second link then and there, the system kept cookies from the first link you clicked and may make Citi think you applied you the first (worse) link rather than the second (better) link .

Thus if you're actually going to apply, I would suggest always using private/incognito browsing (which simply automatically denies access to all previous cookies) to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

The cases where doing private/incognito is going to make a difference may be few, but it's a good habit to get into with credit card offer links. And I don't see what it can hurt.

I don''t have any problem bringing up the link non-incognito on my Chrome browser, but then I never log into Citi on my Chrome browser, only my Firefox browser (but I access FlyerTalk on my Chrome browser, and thus by default open links from FT in Chrome). If it's anything like Amex, it's most likely situation where private/incognito could change the outcome is if you open in a browser where you've recently logged into your own Citi TYP card account (and thus it has Citi cookies about you on that browser).
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2017, 9:58 am
  #922  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,164
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Neither link necessarily needs an incognito window. But it's a good idea to use one, because it's been a documented case before with Citi that if you clicked on one poorer offer link for card X and then clicked on another better offer link for the same card X, and decided to apply with the second link then and there, the system kept cookies from the first link you clicked and may make Citi think you applied you the first (worse) link rather than the second (better) link .

Thus if you're actually going to apply, I would suggest always using private/incognito browsing (which simply automatically denies access to all previous cookies) to avoid any unpleasant surprises.

The cases where doing private/incognito is going to make a difference may be few, but it's a good habit to get into with credit card offer links. And I don't see what it can hurt.

I don''t have any problem bringing up the link non-incognito on my Chrome browser, but then I never log into Citi on my Chrome browser, only my Firefox browser (but I access FlyerTalk on my Chrome browser, and thus by default open links from FT in Chrome). If it's anything like Amex, it's most likely situation where private/incognito could change the outcome is if you open in a browser where you've recently logged into your own Citi TYP card account (and thus it has Citi cookies about you on that browser).
You are absolutely right, my statement was incomplete which makes it a bit inaccurate, i agree with you that incognito/private session is the way to go, what i meant is the need to go through the landing page incognito process is a pain and can be iffy at times and i wanted to save the application link which can be beneficial in the future, specially when the landing page start giving different results in the future. i would still use the app link in incognito mode to avoid any potential scenario you listed above.
ninim2200 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:26 pm
  #923  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 52
call or wait?

applied and got the dreaded message that the file needs review and they will let me know within a week. Is it worth calling or should I just wait?
Blackeyes24 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:22 am
  #924  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by Blackeyes24
applied and got the dreaded message that the file needs review and they will let me know within a week. Is it worth calling or should I just wait?
Just wait. If they really need to know anything, they will call you, but that will be a much shorter call than if you call them, in which case they will put you on hold eleventy-seven times while they check this and that.

I just posted this on the HH Res page:

"Applied for an AA card, didn't call in, after 2 days I got an approval email. 4 days later I got an approval letter with the bonus promise. 2 days later I got a call from the Citi fraud department, just checking if I was the one who did the app."

That call took about 3 minutes, and even that bc I did some unrequired chit chat with the CSR. The last few times I called in before being approved, I was on hold for 20 to 30 minutes, without actually being asked anything important at all. Usually all they ask is: "can I put you on hold". But they ask that over and over, as they apparently review your whole history with Citi, which in my case is nearly 20 years and then wait for a supervisor to be available to approve their decision.

Do. Not. Call.....
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:48 am
  #925  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 52
so they actually called me before I even woke up. They are approving me but needed to move some credit from one of my other lines.
Blackeyes24 is offline  
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:53 pm
  #926  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SJC
Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Posts: 757
Citi 24 month Policy for TY Premier Signon Bonus

I'm tempted to go in for Citi's latest 50K point signon bonus offer for the Thank You Premier but I have a few questions about the eligibility rules. I believe Citi will not give the bonus to those who have opened or closed a card in the Thank You Family for the past 24 months.

Here is my situation:
a) I got a TY Premier card in June 2015 for which I received a signon bonus. In January 2017 this was downgraded to a TY Preferred.

b) I had a Citi Driver's Edge card that got converted to a (plain) Thank You card in 2011 Then in January of this year Citi offered me a free upgrade to TY Premier which I accepted.

Do either the voluntary downgrade or the free upgrade affect the 24 month clock for the bonus?
rj123456 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2017, 12:19 pm
  #927  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,964
Originally Posted by rj123456
I'm tempted to go in for Citi's latest 50K point signon bonus offer for the Thank You Premier but I have a few questions about the eligibility rules. I believe Citi will not give the bonus to those who have opened or closed a card in the Thank You Family for the past 24 months.

Here is my situation:
a) I got a TY Premier card in June 2015 for which I received a signon bonus. In January 2017 this was downgraded to a TY Preferred.

b) I had a Citi Driver's Edge card that got converted to a (plain) Thank You card in 2011 Then in January of this year Citi offered me a free upgrade to TY Premier which I accepted.

Do either the voluntary downgrade or the free upgrade affect the 24 month clock for the bonus?
Discussion here would apply:
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:45 am
  #928  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by sdsearch
To save everyone else the trouble of clicking over, the first answer on that thread says:

"Yes, product changes count as closing the card and restarts the clock."
RobertHanson is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:00 am
  #929  
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami, Mpls & London
Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Posts: 49,187
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
To save everyone else the trouble of clicking over, the first answer on that thread says:

"Yes, product changes count as closing the card and restarts the clock."
...and post #4 says otherwise, and so it goes back-and-forth throughout the thread.
mia is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2017, 8:04 am
  #930  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,784
Originally Posted by mia
...and post #4 says otherwise, and so it goes back-and-forth throughout the thread.
So basically you are sending people over to read page after page of conflicting data points?

Why not just say "there are conflicting data points so we don't know for sure" and leave it at that?
RobertHanson is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.