Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchantís premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:58 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Additional Cards
Add an authorized user to your account at no additional cost and earn points faster. After all, the benefits of this card are so amazing they're worth sharing.
https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:14 am

But no transfer mileage to authorized user account?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Platinum, Amex SPG, Chase CSR, Citi TYP
What is your credit profile like? Credit score, how many cards, etc...
Old Mar 9, 2017, 2:45 pm

My GF just got a 50k offer in the mail...so they're out there. Gonna have her apply.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Got an upgrade offer to premier from prefer, no bonus points, waive fee first year. Should I bite?

P.S. Said account number will not change.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:17 am

Has anyone been successful in matching the 30K offer to something higher (e.g., targeted 50K http://www.doctorofcredit.com/target...ts-3000-spend/ )

i believe 60K was offered once upon a time, late 2015
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:45 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by milemission
...upgrade offer to premier from prefer, no bonus points, waive fee first year. Should I bite?
You should be eligible to apply for Premier and earn a bonus 24 months after you opened the Preferred account (assuming no other openings or closings). How near are you? Are you sitting on a pile of points that would become more valuable if you upgraded, due to ability to transfer to airlines etc?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Thank you mia for the guidance.

I have the Preferred for a much longer time than 24 months.
I do not have a lot of points from the Preferred card. I have some TYP from checking account but I think they could not transfer to airline even if I upgrade.

I'm not sure if the 24 months clock will reset if I upgrade to Premier. If it will reset, I definitely will not upgrade.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:19 am

Question Another Citi ThankYou Premier Card invitation

A couple of months ago I received a "pre-selected" letter/invitation for the Citi ThankYou Premier Card. I applied for it an am presently doing my $3000 spend.

Yesterday, I received another "pre-selected" letter/invitation for the Citi ThankYou Premier Card.

Can I get two of these cards and the bonus for each card?
Old May 5, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iowa guy
A couple of months ago I received a "pre-selected" letter/invitation for the Citi ThankYou Premier Card. I applied for it an am presently doing my $3000 spend.

Yesterday, I received another "pre-selected" letter/invitation for the Citi ThankYou Premier Card.

Can I get two of these cards and the bonus for each card?
It completely depends on the exact Terms and Conditions in the second invitation. You want to especially watch out for any "24 month" wording.

Keep in mind, btw, that the second invitation was probably not intentional. These invitations are queued up months before they're sent, so it's not unusual to find yourself getting a second invitation a month of two after you act on the first invitation, because the second invitation was scheduled before they realized you had acted on the first one. (This happens with many banks.)
Old May 12, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Saw it was asked above, but didn't see an answer.

I just got the Premier and was wondering how successful people have been at matching to a higher bonus. Ideally I'd like to match to the 50k targeted offer I've heard is still out there.

Also, would you recommend SM'ing for it when I get the card, or after completing the Min Spend?

Thanks
Old May 18, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
I've seen this question asked a lot throughout this thread, but haven't seen any direct feedback one way or another. So here's me adding to the chorus - will Citi allow you to have a second premier while the other is still open? Has anyone tried to open a second TYP earning card period while still holding the exact same card? I've only seen data points that Citi will grant a second (and third) AA mile earning card while having one open. But I haven't been able to find anything on the TYP earning family of cards.

Yes I know about the new 24 month rule that's applied per brand but that's not really my question. However if anyone still needs my exact situation:

Premier opened May 17th, 2015 (still open)
Prestige opened April 16th, 2015 (still open)
Never had the Preferred
No Citi applications since the Premier opened
Old May 18, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robbierob03
I've seen this question asked a lot throughout this thread, but haven't seen any direct feedback one way or another. So here's me adding to the chorus - will Citi allow you to have a second premier while the other is still open? Has anyone tried to open a second TYP earning card period while still holding the exact same card? I've only seen data points that Citi will grant a second (and third) AA mile earning card while having one open. But I haven't been able to find anything on the TYP earning family of cards.

Yes I know about the new 24 month rule that's applied per brand but that's not really my question. However if anyone still needs my exact situation:

Premier opened May 17th, 2015 (still open)
Prestige opened April 16th, 2015 (still open)
Never had the Preferred
No Citi applications since the Premier opened
The reason you don't see datapoints is that the 24-month rule for TYP is way way newer than similar rules for AA. Citi started with an 18 month rule on AA, then went to a 24 month rule on AA, then finally went a 24-month program-wide rule for all its cards. So not only are there more people applying for AA cards, there's also a much longer history of how it works for AA cards.

Also, because you can't "really" combine TYP points from multiple cards (unless you keep them all open "forever"), while you can combine singup bonus from AA cards even if you cancel each card after the signup bonus posts, people don't try collecting lots of TYP cards the same way they might with programs where points don't vanish soon after cancelling a card (as long as you have another card in the same program).

So your question would dovetail with another question which is still murky because it has only about one datapoint, and that is how well you can preserve points "forever" by downgrading all your cards (one at a time) to the no-AF Preferred. And that brings up the question of whether you can downgrade to one Preferred while already having one or more Preferreds.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL
50k/4k offer seems to be back.
Open in incognito - https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krdvg
50k/4k offer seems to be back.
Open in incognito - https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card
Thanks, it works incognito for me too, so I added it to the wiki.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.