Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minilemon
do you mean the physical letter? I didn't save it....
There should have also been a progress counter during your first three months on the Citi website, but only if you clicked Thank You Points after logging into your account. Did you check for that?

Yes, there are only three "proofs" that I can think that you could use for Citi:

1. If you printed out the screen showing the signup bonus at the time you applied. (It would need to be a printout with the printout date in one corner, presumably.)

2. If you had saved the physical welcome letter and it has said you would get a bonus.

3. if you saw that progress counter on the Citi website and remember what it said.

Otherwise, if you have none of those, all you can do is hope that Citi's investigation shows your bonus.

Originally Posted by minilemon
I googled around and noticed that Citi's sign-up offered was pulled earlier this year, BUT it was alive around april-june for 40K. I'm positive that the offer was available when I signed up through Citi (with 40,000 clearly written on the application page), otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.
It was not alive around april-june if you went directly to the Citi site. You had to use a special "zombie" link to apply.

And more importantly, did you use private/incognito mode (or clear all Citi cookies immediately before applying) to do that application? The reason I ask is because Citi is known to have cookie-contamination problems, where if you look at a link which has no bonus, and then with the same browser without cookies cleared go to a link which has a bonus, your application may be picked up as having been for the first link with no bonus rather than the second link with a bonus.

That's why with Citi you should always use a new private/incongnito mode window for the link you really want to apply with, and also document everything along the way.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 12, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:05 pm

40k offer is back: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/cr...er-credit-card

Found by US Credit Card Guide
Old Nov 18, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Not a great offer, but just glad to see anything at this point. I'll wait to see if an offer that includes waiving the annual fee comes around.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
Not a great offer, but just glad to see anything at this point. I'll wait to see if an offer that includes waiving the annual fee comes around.
FWIW, I tested all the former links we have archived (see wiki) & while 2 of them work now, they direct you to the same new offer with no AF waiver.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
FWIW, I tested all the former links we have archived (see wiki) & while 2 of them work now, they direct you to the same new offer with no AF waiver.
Thanks. It was a good idea to check. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LWT3
Could be a long wait, given that it was many months since the last bonus points offer of any kind was seen.

What would be your purpose for getting this card? Citi TYP points earned from this card are lost (60 days later) if you cancel this card (no matter what other cards you have), so you cannot build up points in Citi TYP (the way you can in Amex MR or Chase UR) by keeping one no-AF card that keeps the points alive and once in a while getting a signup bonus to add to that and once in a while getting a card that allows you to transfer to airlines.

If you're averse to paying the annual fee right now, when there's a signup bonus (presuming you didn't open or close another TYP card in the past 24 months), you better have plans to use up all the points in a year, because you'll presumably be even more averse to paying the annual fee then to keep the card (and the points) alive another year.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 10:01 am

Plus if you open a Premier card for 40K points now, you cannot open a 50K points Prestige card for another 24 months. I'd prefer the latter, as I am coming up on my 24 anniversary for my still open Prestige. By opening another Prestige in branch (at least as CitiGold), the AF is only $350, and I get $250 +$250 in statement credits. So I make $150 on the app, then immediately close the first Prestige since the clock is already reset by the second app.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Could be a long wait, given that it was many months since the last bonus points offer of any kind was seen.

What would be your purpose for getting this card? Citi TYP points earned from this card are lost (60 days later) if you cancel this card (no matter what other cards you have), so you cannot build up points in Citi TYP (the way you can in Amex MR or Chase UR) by keeping one no-AF card that keeps the points alive and once in a while getting a signup bonus to add to that and once in a while getting a card that allows you to transfer to airlines.

If you're averse to paying the annual fee right now, when there's a signup bonus (presuming you didn't open or close another TYP card in the past 24 months), you better have plans to use up all the points in a year, because you'll presumably be even more averse to paying the annual fee then to keep the card (and the points) alive another year.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Plus if you open a Premier card for 40K points now, you cannot open a 50K points Prestige card for another 24 months. I'd prefer the latter, as I am coming up on my 24 anniversary for my still open Prestige. By opening another Prestige in branch (at least as CitiGold), the AF is only $350, and I get $250 +$250 in statement credits. So I make $150 on the app, then immediately close the first Prestige since the clock is already reset by the second app.
But don't you have to pay another $350 a year later on each card to make this work? You can't offset that by $250+$250 again, can you?

But again, you have to transfer out (or otherwise use up) the points from the old Prestige within 60 days of closing the old Prestige, so you can never build up to having 100k (from two signup bonuses) sitting in a TYP account ready to transfer somewhere when you find a flight at some time.

So you better have a good use for those 50k TYP (at a time) before they're gone.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:43 am

But don't you have to pay another $350 a year later on each card to make this work? You can't offset that by $250+$250 again, can you?

But again, you have to transfer out (or otherwise use up) the points from the old Prestige within 60 days of closing the old Prestige, so you can never build up to having 100k (from two signup bonuses) sitting in a TYP account ready to transfer somewhere when you find a flight at some time.

So you better have a good use for those 50k TYP (at a time) before they're gone.
The statement credits are based on calendar year, not membership year. So if you applied at the right time, you can get one more $250 statement credit on the old card before the AF is due again. Then $250 + $250 with the new card.

And yes, you do have to transfer those points somewhere within 60 days of closing the card. But I don't have to get a full 100K points from Prestige alone. I also have points from Premiere, AMEX, Chase, and SPG to combine them with, depending on which airline I plan on using.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Can't you just convert from Prestige to Preferred to keep the points?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:46 am

I have a plan for the points, and I'm fine with a long wait if it comes to that.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
Can't you just convert from Prestige to Preferred to keep the points?
Probably yes (only one datapoint on it so far AFAIK, and I think it was Premier to Preferred, not Prestige to Preferred), but you lose the ability to transfer to airlines (unless you later upgrade [back] to Premier or Prestige).
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Probably yes (only one datapoint on it so far AFAIK, and I think it was Premier to Preferred, not Prestige to Preferred), but you lose the ability to transfer to airlines (unless you later upgrade [back] to Premier or Prestige).
But I could then transfer points from a preferred account to my DW's premier account and then to airlines, correct?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
But I could then transfer points from a preferred account to my DW's premier account and then to airlines, correct?
I don't think we know that. Like I said, I we only have one datapoint, with little or no followup. Citi plays all sort of tricks with points, keeping track of where they came from, just because they perhaps don't expire after product conversion of Preferred doesn't prove that you can do just anything with them afterwards. They could have all sorts of locks, time-delay bombs, etc, on them and we wouldn't know, since I like I said we have hardly any datapoints on this conversion trick at all, besides one report that the points did not seem to expire after 60 days or whenever, period.

You are, of course, welcome to become our first well-documented datapoint, if you should choose to do so despite any evidence yet that it will work as you wish / expect (and then come back and report thoroughly).
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Originally Posted by RobertHanson

I just would like to confirm my understanding of the 24 month rule:

I have Premier Card that I opened in June 2015 - My plan is to open a Prestige Card in July 2017, while the Premier Card remains open.

Assuming I am approved for the Prestige Card, I then would close the original Premier Card, to avoid the annual fee.

Appreciate your confirmation - Happy Holiday to all:-:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.