Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchants premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Old Nov 20, 2017, 8:06 pm

If citi follows FT then i will stop posting links in the future, for now we'll see what they will do, this link is not important enough to hide it.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by dangw20
I am curious if you have a resolution to this issue yet?

With the announcement that the Citi Forward card will be converted to Citi Preferred on January 3, 2018 I was going to proactively cancel so as not to restart my 24 month clock. If they again confirm to you that the Citi Forward closure restarted the clock then I get no benefit out of cancelling and will end up being forced into having to restart the 24 month clock on January 3 (I'll be 21 days from 24 months if that is the case).
Sorry for late response. Citi secure messaged back a week ago for me to call them to discuss. (Citi's response times have been super slow, every SM reply I send around this gets me a email saying they forwarded my SM to the appropriate department and it takes them 5-7 days to reply).

I call in to Citi rewards department and escalated to an account manager appealing the system notation that deemed me ineligible for the 50k premier sign up bonus, explaining it's been 30 months since I opened my Prestige card. Account manager saw the Forward card close date of 10/5/2015 was more than 24 months from my 10/25/2017 Premier app approval date so she said she'll submit another research request and for me to wait 1 week for response.

Yesterday I got phone call from Citi Account manager I spoke to a week ago saying she got back the research appeal request I submitted and I was still ineligible. Per Citi's rewards department, any Thank You Points earning Citi card opening or closure counts in the 24 month eligibility rule. Because I closed my Citi ATT access more card (which earned TY points) 1 year ago, that makes me ineligible for the Premier 50k sign up bonus. I voiced my objections of the app page T&C never mentioned anything about 24month rule outside of the specific Premier/Preferred/Prestige cards (and the current link 24month wording is still same, no mention of other TY earning Citi cards impacting premier 50k sign up eligibility). Next escalation/appeal step is for me to mail in a certified letter with screenshot printout of 50k bonus app page T&C to Citi customer service PO box.

At this point since I'm about $700 away from meeting the $4k min spend, I'm committed to continuing to appeal this. I'll finish the rest of the min spending requirement so they don't have grounds to say I didn't meet the min spend requirement and I will mail a screenshot printout of the 50k bonus App page where the 24 month eligibility rule specifically refers to only the Premier/Preferred/Prestige cards.

If that doesn't work, final nuclear option will be I file complaint with CFPB and be prepared for possibility Citi closes all my credit card accounts in retaliation in which case I fall back to using my BofA 2.625% cashback card (combo'ed with Platinum Honors status 75% bonus). https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

TLDR; be wary any Citi TY earning cards can impact 24 month rule for Citi TY earning card sign up bonuses. (Premier, Preferred, Prestige, Forward, ATT Access More)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:07 pm

So... I applied Prestige on Nov 20, 2015, would Dec 1, 2017 be a good day to start? Or I have to wait until Jan 1, 2018?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonywush
So... I applied Prestige on Nov 20, 2015, would Dec 1, 2017 be a good day to start? Or I have to wait until Jan 1, 2018?
How risk-averse are you?

The issue is that Citi sometimes counts time incorrectly. So waiting longer is better, but there is no "absolute" this-date-is-flawless-but-this-date-is-death dividing line, it's just that waiting longer decrease your chance of Citi screwing up and you having to do a fight (which you may or may not win).

Dec 21, 2017 is another date to throw in the mix. But yes,Jan 1 is the safest of all of those.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by dchen2
Sorry for late response. Citi secure messaged back a week ago for me to call them to discuss. (Citi's response times have been super slow, every SM reply I send around this gets me a email saying they forwarded my SM to the appropriate department and it takes them 5-7 days to reply).

I call in to Citi rewards department and escalated to an account manager appealing the system notation that deemed me ineligible for the 50k premier sign up bonus, explaining it's been 30 months since I opened my Prestige card. Account manager saw the Forward card close date of 10/5/2015 was more than 24 months from my 10/25/2017 Premier app approval date so she said she'll submit another research request and for me to wait 1 week for response.

Yesterday I got phone call from Citi Account manager I spoke to a week ago saying she got back the research appeal request I submitted and I was still ineligible. Per Citi's rewards department, any Thank You Points earning Citi card opening or closure counts in the 24 month eligibility rule. Because I closed my Citi ATT access more card (which earned TY points) 1 year ago, that makes me ineligible for the Premier 50k sign up bonus. I voiced my objections of the app page T&C never mentioned anything about 24month rule outside of the specific Premier/Preferred/Prestige cards (and the current link 24month wording is still same, no mention of other TY earning Citi cards impacting premier 50k sign up eligibility). Next escalation/appeal step is for me to mail in a certified letter with screenshot printout of 50k bonus app page T&C to Citi customer service PO box.

At this point since I'm about $700 away from meeting the $4k min spend, I'm committed to continuing to appeal this. I'll finish the rest of the min spending requirement so they don't have grounds to say I didn't meet the min spend requirement and I will mail a screenshot printout of the 50k bonus App page where the 24 month eligibility rule specifically refers to only the Premier/Preferred/Prestige cards.

If that doesn't work, final nuclear option will be I file complaint with CFPB and be prepared for possibility Citi closes all my credit card accounts in retaliation in which case I fall back to using my BofA 2.625% cashback card (combo'ed with Platinum Honors status 75% bonus). https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

TLDR; be wary any Citi TY earning cards can impact 24 month rule for Citi TY earning card sign up bonuses. (Premier, Preferred, Prestige, Forward, ATT Access More)
Thanks for the reply! This is definitely a frustrating development especially since, as you stated, the app page specifically refers to only the Premier/Preferred/Prestige cards. Even if you end up successfully appealing the amount of time you've had to spend makes me waiver whether to even bother trying. I currently have a Forward, Preferred, Premier, and Prestige; so if the Forward being closed or converted to Preferred (which will then give me 2) is going to reset the clock I might as well just close all cards and start fresh in 24 months. Then I avoid potential forced product changes in the future.

Good luck with the final appeal (if you're still waiting)!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:15 pm

I feel like Citi is just finding fault with you now to deny bonus, with them reviewing your file closely

My ATTAM was opened less than 24 mo ago. And I just got my Premier bonus auto-posted without problems. So I think system wise, ATTAM is not hardcoded yet. Perhaps Forward also falls into this group.

But still, this post is a good warning to keep a lookout
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:23 pm

.... this! I just PCed to the Citi ATT card about a year ago.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
.... this! I just PCed to the Citi ATT card about a year ago.
Well, then you probably reset your 24 month clock then!

Unfortunately, there's no way to know for sure. You'd unfortunately have to be the first guinea pig for us to have a datapoint on this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:03 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:50 pm

the links in the wiki are dead, i came across another 50k link, i will update the wiki soon.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:00 am

Does anyone know if the cancelling older cards before you meet the spend requirement on the new card, or before the bonus points post will cause problems? I applied for a new premier in my 49-50th month, and I need to cancel my Prestige before it is too late to get back the AF.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Does anyone know if the cancelling older cards before you meet the spend requirement on the new card, or before the bonus points post will cause problems? I applied for a new premier in my 49-50th month, and I need to cancel my Prestige before it is too late to get back the AF.
With Citi, once you get the card, assuming no fraud and meeting the min spend in time, you will get the sign up bonus. The point about not having opened or closed a card in 24 months is only a factor when you apply, once you get the card you are free to cancel previous cards.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:47 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion continues here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi...ly-2018-a.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.