Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ninim2200
Is there currently an offer for this card with a signup bonus?

Yes:
  • 50K TYP for $4K spend/3 months, $95 AF waived for first year. Open in private/incognito window for best results.
    • Offer not available if you have opened or closed a Preferred, Premier, or Prestige card in the past 24 months.

Does anybody know when the signup bonus will increase?
    No. Please don't ask in the thread "just to double-check if anybody knows." Nobody knows.
    Can I see the number of TYP earned on an individual purchase?
    No. The best you can do is visit the Account Details page for your card to see how the merchant for a given transaction was categorized.
    What are the bonus categories for the Premier card?
    Effective April 19th, 2015, unless you are participating in a limited-time offer, you will earn:
    • 3 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, travel agencies, gas stations, commuter transportation, taxi/limousines, passenger railways, cruise lines, bridge and road tolls, parking lots/garages, campgrounds and trailer parks, time shares, bus lines, motor home/RV rental and boat rentals;
    • 2 ThankYou Points for every dollar you spend on purchases at restaurants and on select entertainment merchants, including sports promoters, theatrical promoters, movie theaters, amusement parks, tourist attractions, record stores and video rental stores; and
    • 1 ThankYou Point for every dollar you spend on other purchases.
    Airlines are classified as merchants that provide air travel. Hotels are classified as merchants that provide sleeping or meeting room accommodations, and may include goods and services that are on a bill for these accommodations by a hotel, motel or inn. Car rental agencies are classified as merchants that provide short-term or long-term rentals of cars. Travel agencies are classified as merchants that provide travel information and booking services, and include travel aggregators and tour operators. Gas stations are classified as merchants that sell fuel for consumer use and may or may not be attended. Commuter transportation is classified as merchants that provide suburban and local mass passenger transportation over regular routes and on regular schedules, including ferries, commuter railways and subways. Taxis/limousines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation services for hire and includes horse-drawn cabs and carriages, bicycle taxis, aerial tramways, airport shuttles or cable cars. Passenger railways are classified as merchants that primarily provide long-distance transportation and may include overnight accommodations on the train. Cruise lines are classified as merchants that provide passenger transportation on the open sea or inland waters for the purpose of vacation or pleasure and operate predefined and advertised routes. Bridge and road tolls are classified as merchants who collect fees associated with toll roads, highways and bridges. Parking lots/garages are classified as merchants that provide temporary parking services for automobiles, usually on an hourly, daily or monthly contract or fee basis. Campgrounds and trailer parks are classified as merchants that provide overnight or short-term campsites for recreational vehicles, trailers, campers, or tents. Timeshares are classified as retailers that sell, lease, and rent timeshare real estate and arrange timeshare condominium exchanges. Bus lines are classified passenger bus transportation services that operate on a regular schedule over predetermined routes. Motor home and recreational vehicle rentals are classified as merchants that rent motor homes, RVs, pop-up campers, tent trailers, and other recreational vehicles on a daily, short-term, or extended-term basis. Boat leases and boat rentals are classified as merchants that primarily provide boat rental and leasing services, including fishing boats, non-crew houseboats, sail boats, powerboats, jet skis, and yachts.

Restaurants are classified as dining establishments that primarily prepare food and drinks for immediate consumption by consumers, either on the merchant’s premises or packaged for takeout, and include bars, cocktail lounges, discotheques, nightclubs, taverns and fast food restaurants. Sports promoters are classified as merchants that operate and promote live sporting events (professional or semi-professional), and may also include sports stadiums. Theatrical promoters are classified as merchants that operate live theatrical productions or concerts, and include ticketing agencies. Movie theaters are classified as establishments that sell tickets and refreshments for movie productions. Amusement parks (including zoos, circuses and aquariums) are classified as establishments that operate parks or carnivals and offer mechanical rides and games and/or live animal shows. Tourist attractions and museums (including art galleries) are classified as establishments that operate attractions and exhibits for tourists. Record stores are classified as establishments that sell CDs and related items, including online record stores. Video rental stores are classified as merchants that rent DVDs and/or games and related equipment for consumer use, including online video rentals.

We do not determine how merchants or establishments are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchant's primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. Purchases not eligible to receive the additional ThankYou Points include, but are not limited to, purchases made at warehouse clubs, discount stores, department stores and convenience stores.
    You may earn ThankYou Points as long as your Card Account is open and current. If your Card Account is closed, you will not be able to earn ThankYou Points and you will lose any accumulated ThankYou Points that have not been transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. Balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, returned purchases, disputed or unauthorized purchases/fraudulent transactions, finance charges, Card Account fees, and fees for services and programs you elect to receive through us do not earn ThankYou Points unless otherwise specified.

If you do not already have a ThankYou Rewards Member Account ("ThankYou Member Account"), one will be set up for you. ThankYou Points earned from purchases post to your Card Account at the close of each billing cycle, and at that time we will transfer the ThankYou Points you earned to your ThankYou Member Account. (Bonus ThankYou Points may take one to two additional billing cycles to post to your Card Account.) ThankYou Points are not eligible for redemption until they are transferred to your ThankYou Member Account. ThankYou Points may not be redeemed and may be lost if your Card Account is not open or current.
    What happens to my TY points if I close my card account?
Print Wikipost

Citi Premier MasterCard [2015-2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You give your credit card to the server in a restaurant, right? How easy is it for the waitperson to snap a photo?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
You give your credit card to the server in a restaurant, right? How easy is it for the waitperson to snap a photo?
Or use a skimmer. Same issue. Years ago husband's IHG card was compromised, about one month after being used in a restaurant - the ONLY usage outside home. We called the restaurant and alert the manager who wanted to know where we sat (we had the receipt so we could tell the date and when the payment was made). He said he could find out who the server was.

On our subsequent visit, said server was gone. Our guess was, that guy must have done this for long enough and we were not the only customers alerted the restaurant. He probably just sold the stolen card info at like $100 per 10 cards something like that (I have read the price of such has dropped a lot over the past few years now the big jobs are done on direct breach to the retailers or even banks servers.)

The 1+1 already has a stupid design, now the Premier is even more stupid.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by nall
I had a Premier card long before all these changes, and am interested in getting another. Any idea how I can determine when it was cancelled so I don't run afoul of the 18 month rule?
just check your spreadsheet with all of your info on your cc's.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 12:03 am

True, but they can snap both sides just as easily as one in that case.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by travelfreaks
just check your spreadsheet with all of your info on your cc's.
Assuming the OP has that. And since there was no such rule when most of us got cards in the past, we didn't see a need to record it.

I'm guessing, though, that the OP can just call Citi and ask. I had to do that with a Chase account where I had no idea when I got the sign up bonus, since there was no 24 months rule when I applied. I'm guessing the Chase rep knew what I was up to, and tried to put me off with useless comments. But I just kept asking over and over, and eventually she gave in and told me the date.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:08 am

Anyone have any idea how precise citi is on the 18 month rule. Opened my premier 18 months and 5 days ago. Do I need more of a cushion to ensure the bonus?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:05 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Tangential discussion of Chip & PIN security has been exported to a separate thread, which will likely be transferred to Credit Card Programs and perhaps merged in the established thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...-security.html
Old Jun 23, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Choice Plat
Originally Posted by Leotis
Anyone have any idea how precise citi is on the 18 month rule. Opened my premier 18 months and 5 days ago. Do I need more of a cushion to ensure the bonus?
I would say hold on for few more days..if you waited for 18 months few more days won't hurt..general consensus is citi does not know how to count
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I currently have 3 Citi cards:
Preferred (since 2004)
Forward (since 2005)
Citi AA (since 02/2015)

Planning for Premier to be my 4th-- would you recommend me to lower my CLs before applying for Premier?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
Second card will most likely NOT get a bonus. I've added this to the wiki:

From the T/C: "Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had a Citi ThankYou Premier card opened or closed in the past 18 months."
I got the Prestige about two weeks ago & was planning to apply for the Premier when I saw this. I am guessing it might be a YMMV situation, but I'm not sure what I should do. Are you folks still applying for both cards even after these terms have been added? Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by worldcitizen25
I got the Prestige about two weeks ago & was planning to apply for the Premier when I saw this. I am guessing it might be a YMMV situation, but I'm not sure what I should do. Are you folks still applying for both cards even after these terms have been added? Thanks!
AFAIK you are misreading this. You won't get the bonus for a second Premier. But you will get the bonus for a first Premier if you have only gotten a Prestige. Different products.....
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hightide
I currently have 3 Citi cards:
Preferred (since 2004)
Forward (since 2005)
Citi AA (since 02/2015)

Planning for Premier to be my 4th-- would you recommend me to lower my CLs before applying for Premier?
I would only bother if you get denied and have to call for recon.

With that much longevity at Citi, if you pay on time and everything, I'd be surprised if they deny you.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by Brugge
AFAIK you are misreading this. You won't get the bonus for a second Premier. But you will get the bonus for a first Premier if you have only gotten a Prestige. Different products.....
You are right - I misread it.
I applied, and was approved!^ Thanks, FT!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I would only bother if you get denied and have to call for recon.

With that much longevity at Citi, if you pay on time and everything, I'd be surprised if they deny you.
Ok, thanks!

BTW: When does the annual fee show up? Is it on the first day of the 13th month (in this case June 1st 2016 if I apply today)? I'm wondering whether I'm a month better off applying on July 1st rather than today.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50K bonus language on Approval Letter not on Card page

Husband has an existing Premier from 2006.

He applied the current card on June 23, got system error. But when we called right away the rep said he was already approved. Got email with the last 4 digits on June 27 Saturday.

Card arrived in plain envelop via USPS. So did the Approval Letter.

The 50,000 bonus language IS on the Approval Letter, but unlike the AA or the HHonors, the bonus language does NOT appear on the Card page.

Is this the case for Premium that the bonus language is not on the Card page?

Anybody can verify the above, as that if they also see the 50K language on their Card Pages or not?

TIA.

PS
I have to agree - this is one weird design, especially with the meg strip at the front. I suspect many cashiers would have a hard time to figure out when they first see one.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 29, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.