Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:04 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Interesting my air berlin flight was canceled (due to weather). And Citi paid me for the train i booked instead.
50ae likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Just covering my bases

I'm filling out the paperwork for the Prestige cancellation protection, and I just want to make sure I'm not walking into a landmine.

Key points:
*Trip to Africa booked in pieces, January-June this year, departing November 1
*Trip booked on various credit cards - main ticket from US-Africa booked on Barclay Arrival+ card (I had points to burn...)
*Mom broke her shoulder 2 weeks before departure - she lives alone, and I'm the only living relative. Doc told me I really needed to move in with her for the next couple of months because she can't drive or even stand up from a sitting position, let alone do any household chores, bathe, get to doctor appointments, etc., on her own. I have paperwork from the doctor advising this.
*Prestige card charges included Airbnbs as well as an airline ticket within Africa
*All tickets/hotels/Airbnbs etc cancelled about 10 days before scheduled departure from US.

I'm submitting claims to Citi only for the non-refundable portions of the Airbnbs and the air ticket *at the end of my trip* within Africa (minus the few dollars in taxes I've been refunded). Of course, only the charges I actually made on the Prestige card.

I'm taking it, by the language from the 2016 benefits guide, that I should be able to claim those expenses, as they are "a portion of the trip."

Two questions:

1. I'm not going to run into trouble because I didn't purchase the ticket from here to Africa, covering the dates of the entire trip, on a different card, am I?

2. About $200 of the Airbnbs were paid with Airbnb gift cards that I purchased at about a 10% discount online, for my own use, with the Prestige card. Although I don't have an expectation of getting them approved, would it hurt to ask? I still have the receipts from purchase, being sent to my own email address - so I can be specific about it. My entire claim with Citi is under $750, if that means anything.

Thank you FTers for your advice!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I have no answers for you but wish your mother a speedy recovery and much health
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I have no answers for you but wish your mother a speedy recovery and much health
Thank you very much!!!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Whats the paperwork required for a trip cancellation due to weather? Im thinking of cancelling a flight due to Delhi weather conditions
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slickvik
What’s the paperwork required for a trip cancellation due to weather? I’m thinking of cancelling a flight due to Delhi weather conditions
I don't believe you cancelling is covered.

It has to be cancelled/delay by the carrier and travel subsequently resumed. If you cancel and never take the trip, there is no "delay" to cover. Coverage is for costs associated with the delay and not for the ticket itself.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't believe you cancelling is covered.

It has to be cancelled/delay by the carrier and travel subsequently resumed. If you cancel and never take the trip, there is no "delay" to cover. Coverage is for costs associated with the delay and not for the ticket itself.
I think the question relates to Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection, which is a different animal from Trip Delay Protection.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by slickvik
Whats the paperwork required for a trip cancellation due to weather? Im thinking of cancelling a flight due to Delhi weather conditions
Best to check the guide to benefits. Does the weather issue in Delhi fall under any of the covered reasons?

Covered Reasons: Travel or Weather Issues:
■ Severe weather or natural disaster causes all travel to or from the Covered Travelers Trip destination to stop for at least 24 hours.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) cant travel due to a quarantine or a hijacking.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traf c accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) misses a cruise or tour departure because all common carrier travel to or from their destination is cancelled or delayed at least 3 hours due to severe weather or a problem with the common carrier.
■ Before the Trip Departure Date, a cruise or tour operator cancels or postpones a prepaid event or activity, such as a shore excursion, and its not rescheduled at a time and the Covered Traveler(s) cannot participate during their Trip.
■ A travel supplier, such as an airline or lodge, goes out of business or goes into nancial default after the purchase of the Trip, impairing the Covered Travelers ability to travel.
■ A mandatory evacuation is ordered by a government or public safety agency at the Covered Travelers Trip destination.
■ A terrorist incident certi ed by a government agency, occurs in the Covered Travelers Trip destination.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by nesnith
Best to check the guide to benefits. Does the weather issue in Delhi fall under any of the covered reasons?

Covered Reasons: Travel or Weather Issues:
■ Severe weather or natural disaster causes all travel to or from the Covered Travelers Trip destination to stop for at least 24 hours.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) cant travel due to a quarantine or a hijacking.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traf c accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.
■ The Covered Traveler(s) misses a cruise or tour departure because all common carrier travel to or from their destination is cancelled or delayed at least 3 hours due to severe weather or a problem with the common carrier.
■ Before the Trip Departure Date, a cruise or tour operator cancels or postpones a prepaid event or activity, such as a shore excursion, and its not rescheduled at a time and the Covered Traveler(s) cannot participate during their Trip.
■ A travel supplier, such as an airline or lodge, goes out of business or goes into nancial default after the purchase of the Trip, impairing the Covered Travelers ability to travel.
■ A mandatory evacuation is ordered by a government or public safety agency at the Covered Travelers Trip destination.
■ A terrorist incident certi ed by a government agency, occurs in the Covered Travelers Trip destination.
If this is for Trip Cancellation/Interrruption, it should be moved to the appropriate thread.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
My wife and I are scheduled for a 6:15am flight tomorrow, that flight has been cancelled (I haven't been able to obtain an explanation as to why the flight was cancelled yet, the weather in both cities is fine both tonight and tomorrow) and the earliest flight they could put us on is 9 hours later. We booked the trip with Delta SkyMiles but paid for the taxes & fees with the Prestige card. We are still at home as this was the beginning of our trip, so we will not incur any lodging expenses, but are we eligible for meal and ground transportation (taxi) reimbursement to the airport in this situation?
Would Citi cover lodging expenses in one's home city if a delayed flight required me to leave the next day? I don't see any prohibition against it, although it might not be considered a reasonable expense, and I could see them denying it.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Would Citi cover lodging expenses in one's home city if a delayed flight required me to leave the next day? I don't see any prohibition against it, although it might not be considered a reasonable expense, and I could see them denying it.
I don't think they really pay attention to where your "home" is. While most people have a bed that's always available to them at the address where they get their credit card statement, not everybody does, and the credit card company has no way of knowing what your particular situation is. So I'd just follow the usual rules of being "reasonable" and not abusive. It's risky to book a Four Seasons that's an hour from the airport. But if you're rebooked on a 6am flight and crash for a few hours at the Holiday Inn Express that's 5 minutes from the airport, I don't think they'd deny your claim, regardless of whether your home address is in the same metro area.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:48 pm

Citi Prestige: delay coverage question

hello all

i have a ticket purchased with united gift registry but paid $1 of the fare with Citi Prestige. M

My understsnding
is that delay isnt like trip cancelation, which covers up to amount charged to the card , but with delay id still be covered up to $500 for trip delay. Any data points on this?

thanks
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I booked a ticket IND-DFW-LAX on AA. IND-DFW flight was late (2.5 hours) thus causing a mis-connect at DFW with no later flights that evening to LAX. Had to overnight in DFW and didn't get home until noon the next day, 12 hours later than scheduled. I stayed overnight at a local hotel. I put in a claim with all appropriate documentation for approx $220. Per the Prestige T&C's I should have been reimbursed because the TRIP was delayed over 3 hours. The provider of the travel insurance, Virginia Surety Co, has denied my claim several times after several escalations. They are saying because the first flight was delayed only 2.5 hours, it's under the 3 hours that would trigger the benefit to be paid. Nowhere in the T&C's does it make an exception for this. The terms are very clear (attorney reviewed as well) about defining the TRIP delay on a common carrier, not a single flight. I've involved Citibank and they agree as well, yet these idiots won't budge. I've escalated again with Citibank and am waiting to hear a response from them.

This has really left a bad taste. Virginia Surety seem to be a bunch of scumbags that deny claims outright and hope you go away or give up. They picked the wrong person to try this strategy on.
seawolf, wylek and liushu like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:10 pm
Original Member

I agree. It's called Trip Delay Protection not Flight Delay Protection. You didn't buy a trip for IND-DFW you purchased a trip for IND-LAX.

Furthermore if you look at Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection:
The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traffic accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.
This makes it impossible to interpret Trip as a single flight (e.g. How can I miss half of a single flight segment). The rest of the sentence makes it pretty clear that a Trip contains connections. Other conditions in Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection makes it pretty clear Trip does not equal a single flight.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:00 pm

Not to mention that in the Trip Delay T&Cs it says:

Trip means any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of the Common Carrier fare was paid using your Citi card and/or ThankYou Points for all Covered Travelers.
Trip Departure Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are originally scheduled to leave on the Common Carrier.
Trip Completion Date means the date on which the Covered Traveler(s) are scheduled to return to their point of origin or to a different final destination.
A "Trip" isn't complete until you get to your final destination, and DFW clearly wasn't your final destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.