Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by billatq
Supposing that the interpretation of misconnections is correct, that implies that if you want for misconnections to effectively be covered, you'd need to schedule connections to be around three hours long. If your misconnect because the flight was too late, then you effectively get the benefit you want. Seems pretty inconvenient, but straightforward. (Though it might be easier to have something like the no-fee Sapphire card to cover it in this case, since you only need a partial amount on the card for coverage.)
you also want to take into account travel time between gates, which may include going thru security again, passport control, terminal change, etc.

But I see your point: say if the travel time within airport is 1hr, then book a transfer time of 4 hours. Then you'd miss the connection only if the original one was late by 3+ hours.

And the obvious counter-argument to that would be: 4hr connections aren't just out there, waiting for you to choose for your itinerary. it could be either 1.5 hr connection or 6+ hr connection time. And the purpose of the insurance for the passenger is to spend less time at the airport, not more.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by slickvik
FYI I was covered for a 4 day misconnection due to hurricane Harvey by chase. But it seems citi wouldnt have covered me because my first flight was on time, BHX-EWR. Note to self: dont use citi for connecting flights anymore
Except that sounds like you would be covered. Your second flight was delayed/cancelled by the storm.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by Reikon
Except that sounds like you would be covered. Your second flight was delayed/cancelled by the storm.
Good point, I think you're right in this case since I didn't miss a connection.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:26 am

People should keep making claims for missed connections and copy their state insurance regulators on any correspondence disputing any rejections. This is a ridiculous interpretation and we shouldn't all just give up on it.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Im voting with my wallet. Non-stop flights and 4th free hotels charged to Prestige. Everything else, charge to Chase CSR or Freedom.
linglingfool likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:30 am

Just to provide another data point. I missed a connection due to my first flight being 2.5 hours late. I arrived at my destination 12 hours late. Citi denied my claim because my trip on a common carrier was not delayed for more than 3 hours. I wrote in disputing that and received a call yesterday. It seems that they are selectively interpreting "trip on a common carrier" to mean "individual flight on a common carrier." When I asked about the definition of trip, it could not be clearly defined. I then explained that a trip must be defined by how the common carrier views it - I purchased an entire trip from Point A to Point C, not A-B and B-C separately.

After about 12 minutes of arguing and circular logic, I was placed on hold for further review. The claim was subsequently approved as a "concession."

I am not particularly amused by Citi's new interpretation of this benefit. It is one of the main reasons I use the Citi Prestige card.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by platboy
Just to provide another data point. I missed a connection due to my first flight being 2.5 hours late. I arrived at my destination 12 hours late. Citi denied my claim because my trip on a common carrier was not delayed for more than 3 hours. I wrote in disputing that and received a call yesterday. It seems that they are selectively interpreting "trip on a common carrier" to mean "individual flight on a common carrier." When I asked about the definition of trip, it could not be clearly defined. I then explained that a trip must be defined by how the common carrier views it - I purchased an entire trip from Point A to Point C, not A-B and B-C separately.

After about 12 minutes of arguing and circular logic, I was placed on hold for further review. The claim was subsequently approved as a "concession."

I am not particularly amused by Citi's new interpretation of this benefit. It is one of the main reasons I use the Citi Prestige card.
Are you sure you are talking to Citi, instead of Virginia Surety, the underwriter of the trip delay insurance?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by platboy

Same, thanks for the additional data point.

I am not sure what your future card use pattern will be, but I will not stop using the card as long as they do not update the wording. If they don't and I am in a situation like that, I am happy to escalate as necessary. This is ridiculous behavior for a $500ish annual fee credit card.

If they change the wording to the "new interpretation," then I will just use my CSR.

Last edited by bookeew; Mar 15, 2018 at 1:31 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:41 pm

I had a killer argument from Citi Prestige Insurance department, they applied it to deny baggage protection, but can also be successfully applied for trip delay protection. They said that terms state "we may reimburse", the word "may" is used to deny my claim for the protection as there is no requirement for them to the actually to do it. For example it does not state that they "will reimburse you".
Maybe its just my luck, but I didn't have same luck with Chase Sapphire Preferred also a lot more cheaper card to have.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by compspy
I had a killer argument from Citi Prestige Insurance department, they applied it to deny baggage protection, but can also be successfully applied for trip delay protection. They said that terms state "we may reimburse", the word "may" is used to deny my claim for the protection as there is no requirement for them to the actually to do it. For example it does not state that they "will reimburse you".
Maybe its just my luck, but I didn't have same luck with Chase Sapphire Preferred also a lot more cheaper card to have.
For me, there is an easy answer to the may: If it is reasonable, I expect it to be covered. If they deny it because of this interpretation, then that is unreasonable for me and I will not give them the chance to treat me like that again. Instead, I am going to move my spend to another card and move from Citi's private client program to a different bank, which is going to cost them significantly more than the small reimbursement. For now, they get the benefit of the doubt and the chance to fix the interpretation (if they change the language to reflect this absurd definition of a trip, I might be keeping the card for the 4th night benefit, but won't put any other spend on it).

Neither AMEX, Chase, nor Citi have been unreasonable in any benefit case, so I don't see a reason to jump ship just yet.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:29 pm

you guys give up easily. I too was denied for a missed connection but after escalating and speaking to a supervisor I got full reimbursement. I went over the terms and conditions with the agent and had them talk to their supervisor. The only response from the agent against what I said was "Legal came back and told us that the first flight has to be 3 hours late, and we have to deny all claims from now on". This happened 3 months ago.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 8:50 am

Citi Prestige Travel Insurance

I will never again buy flight tickets without Citi Prestige travel insurance. Thought I was real slick getting 5x MR points on a recent flight to southwest VA with my Amex Platinum, but I got stuck in that hail/tornado/thunder combo storm and had two flights cancelled in a row.

In the Citi Prestige benefits guide it says the following with regards to Trip Delay insurance:

"To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/or ThankYou Points must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Common Carrier fare."

So my question is this: what exactly does "a portion of the common carrier fare" mean? For example, if I purchase $10 of the flight ticket with my Citi Prestige and the rest with my Amex Platinum does that mean I'm eligible for Trip Delay insurance? If I use 1000 TY points to pay for the ticket and then buy the rest with my Amex will I still get Trip Delay? (note: I'm not trying to scam anyone, I'm just trying to understand exactly what Citi means by "a portion of the Common Carrier fare.")

Also, here's another example that I recently had: I purchased a round-trip ticket to Greece with my Amex. I upgraded the flight to business class with my Citi Prestige (so I could take advantage of the $250 flight credit). Am I eligible for Trip Delay with this ticket?
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:17 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have moved your post into an existing discussion of the Trip Delay benefit. Scroll back to review recent posts to understand exactly how Citi's insurer is currently interpreting the benefit terms.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Last I knew, technically, the insurance generally* only covers a person up to the amount charged to the card, but I've also seen people file successful claims after, e.g., charging only ~$10 of taxes to the Prestige on an award ticket.

Travel insurance has been used and abused by the "travel hacker" crowd in recent years, and almost every issuer has started to cracked down in one way or another. If you want the insurance, I wouldn't get too cute when it comes to charging 90% to one card and then the last few dollars to the Prestige.

(* Depends on the issuer.)
Old Apr 18, 2018, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you want to be absolutely positively sure you are covered, charge the whole thing on Prestige and make sure they are for non-stop flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.