Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
I hope you fight this vigorously. I disagree with the decision. Coverage is TRIP based not FLIGHT based. On the same note, GarlicFlyer's claim should have been denied.

Makes no sense that a misconnect resulting in an overnight at connection point caused by a flight delay of less than 3 hours on the delivering flight is not covered while GarlicFlyer's claim is paid and he/she arrived at destination on time.

Posts 314 and 315 poke holes at their interpretation that Trip Delay is based on flight segments.
I do intend to fight it, I had a similar claim a year or so ago and it was paid without any issue, this seems to be a change put it in place to pay out less claims I suppose, will update with final result.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by extremeromance
Excuse my ignorance but what is CITI EO?
My bad. It's Citi executive office respond unit. It was used for CC reconsideration. I am not sure but I think it should have more power than that.

Last edited by liushu; Jan 22, 2018 at 12:29 am
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Does anyone know when the travel insurance coverage expires for the HHonors Reserve card, I believe it is Jan 31, does this mean that all claims have to be submitted by then or adjudicated/paid by then?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:17 am

I am in the process of fighting misconnection. Like the majority of people, my was delayed by 1.5 hours, I was not able to make a connection and required to stay overnight. So far I have escalated in two places with same results BBB(A+ rating The Warranty Group) and CFPB(Against Citi), same answer from both places. When you escalate to citi they just ask insurance company why they denied my claim and just copy and paste their response. I already have a plan of next attack, but interested what your next suggestions are?

Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Why was your flight delayed and what expenses did you claim?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:56 am

Airline wrote reason for delay was Air Traffic, but by reviewing the documents it is also stated as weather related. Probably Air Traffic didn't let them fly due to Weather.
As far as expenses just an airport hotel and meal. Arrived in my connecting city at 9pm and flew out at 7 am next day.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Interesting. Clearly sounds like a situation where the airline wasn’t responsible, which is when the trip-delay is supposed to kick in.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:43 pm

I would focus on the distinction between the word "flight," which they use in their letter, and "trip," which is what the coverage discusses. Your card doesn't offer "Flight Delay Protection" but "Trip Delay Protection." The card's terms define Trip as "any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of the Common Carrier fare was paid using your Citi card and/or ThankYou Points for all Covered Travelers." You didn't purchase a Common Carrier fare for XXX-YYY (the first leg of your trip), you purchased a fare for XXX-ZZZ with a change of planes in YYY (this part of the argument is harder if your plane ticket's fare construction is actually a combination of two fares, but the odds of that are low). Because of weather (a covered condition) you were delayed more than 3 hours in reaching your final destination; therefore your Trip was delayed more than 3 hours even if the first flight in your Trip was only delayed 1.5 hours.

If you really want to fight hard, you might cc the insurance regulator in the state where you live in your response..
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the info, I was planning to see what my legal options are, but I like the idea to contact insurance regulator first.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
I would focus on the distinction between the word "flight," which they use in their letter, and "trip," which is what the coverage discusses. Your card doesn't offer "Flight Delay Protection" but "Trip Delay Protection." The card's terms define Trip as "any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of the Common Carrier fare was paid using your Citi card and/or ThankYou Points for all Covered Travelers." You didn't purchase a Common Carrier fare for XXX-YYY (the first leg of your trip), you purchased a fare for XXX-ZZZ with a change of planes in YYY (this part of the argument is harder if your plane ticket's fare construction is actually a combination of two fares, but the odds of that are low). Because of weather (a covered condition) you were delayed more than 3 hours in reaching your final destination; therefore your Trip was delayed more than 3 hours even if the first flight in your Trip was only delayed 1.5 hours.

If you really want to fight hard, you might cc the insurance regulator in the state where you live in your response..
This a disturbing trend, and as the last few pages show that this exact issue is people's main gripe with the trip insurance. The (very) few that got any resolution, didn't only have to escalate several levels up (supervisor of supervisor), but also involve Citi and/or threaten to involve an attorney. One channel only didn't do the trick.

It's clear at this point that this is the working practice of Citi's trip delay insurance, despite what the terms indicate. And the reps can't (unwilling?) to override the practice.

So either:

1. They change their terms/practice to match each other. Most likely changing of terms.

2. People accept it as the working definition of trip delay and base your bookings off that. Unless they want to invest significant amount of time to get someone very higherup who can override their practice.

With that in mind, are other insurances also the same? someone in Chases's forum said the exact same thing for Chase (and BofA) insurance, but is that the norm there?

At this point, which insurance has seamless coverage for missed connections?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
This a disturbing trend, and as the last few pages show that this exact issue is people's main gripe with the trip insurance. The (very) few that got any resolution, didn't only have to escalate several levels up (supervisor of supervisor), but also involve Citi and/or threaten to involve an attorney. One channel only didn't do the trick.

It's clear at this point that this is the working practice of Citi's trip delay insurance, despite what the terms indicate. And the reps can't (unwilling?) to override the practice.

So either:

1. They change their terms/practice to match each other. Most likely changing of terms.

2. People accept it as the working definition of trip delay and base your bookings off that. Unless they want to invest significant amount of time to get someone very higherup who can override their practice.

With that in mind, are other insurances also the same? someone in Chases's forum said the exact same thing for Chase (and BofA) insurance, but is that the norm there?

At this point, which insurance has seamless coverage for missed connections?
I would like to know this as well, to me it seems like Citi was having to pay too many claims on missed connections and bent the rules their way and tightened things up, I don't think I will get anywhere with my case considering the above poster went way up the ladder without any results.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

The “churners” and “travel hackers” were abusing this like crazy, buying $200 worth of phone chargers after a 3-hour delay and filing for meals and hotel nights at the Ritz even when the airlines were responsible for paying, so it’s not any surprise Citi and/or its insurer finally cracked down.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The churners and travel hackers were abusing this like crazy, buying $200 worth of phone chargers after a 3-hour delay and filing for meals and hotel nights at the Ritz even when the airlines were responsible for paying, so its not any surprise Citi and/or its insurer finally cracked down.
Cracking down on what's considered "reasonable and necessary" and unilaterally refusing to honor a well-defined benefit are two very different things.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:43 am

As a follow up of above letter from Citi that miss connections should be covered, I complained to BBB and notified them that I am not going to be stopping there. Below is the resolution that was given.

So is there a consensus which card is better for miss connections considering that $450 a year card gives such a big pain?
BTW I found the following statement very funny "Per terms and conditions the trip on the common carrier must be delayed, not just the trip itself"

Last edited by compspy; Feb 6, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by compspy
BTW I found the following statement very funny "Per terms and conditions the trip on the common carrier must be delayed, not just the trip itself"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.