Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Thanks, that is very helpful. Not that I hope to use it, but knowing that its there is a nice backstop. And if it turns out that mid level airline cards don't work for baggage fee waivers when booking TYP flight redemptions (see my other post in the forum about that), then there is no reason not put everything on the Citi Prestige card.

Originally Posted by themicah
I just went through the Trip Delay Protection claims process for the first time. tldr: it works.

Background

My family was on a flight home that suffered a 3 hour 51 minute weather delay, the duration of which we were stuck on the plane. We boarded on time, but various ground stops at our destination led to us sitting on the runway awaiting clearance to take off, circling awaiting clearance to land, diverting to refuel, and sitting some more awaiting clearance to take off again.

I have a Citi Prestige card and the tickets were purchased using TYPs.

The expenses we claimed were pretty minor: some sandwiches at the arrival airport and the quickest ride home we could get that would hold all five of us and all our stuff (UberSUV).

Claims Process

I called the Citi Benefits hotline (855-569-7446) the day after the flight and spoke with an agent (native-speaking American English accent) who took my information, offered sympathy regarding the delay, and told me I'd get an e-mail the next day with the claim form and requests for documentation.

The next day I got an e-mail, as promised, requesting the following:

The claim form was included inline in the e-mail, and indicated that I could sign electronically, so I simply replied to the e-mail and filled in my name and the date in the signature boxes, then attached a PDF with everything else.

The card billing statement was a little tricky in my case, since tickets purchased with TYPs don't show up on a credit card statement (but TYP-purchased tickets are definitely eligible for the Trip Delay Protection benefit according to the Prestige TOS). So I included a copy of my card statement from the applicable month (figuring there was probably a drone somewhere checking boxes on a checklist) as well as a printout of my TYP redemption history from thankyou.com for good measure.

Travel itinerary was no problem. I simply sent a copy of my original travel confirmation e-mail (which also showed that I had redeemed TYPs for the ticket). I noted in my e-mail reply that the flight was purchased with TYPs and they could reconcile the travel confirmation with the TYP redemption history.

For support of trip delay, I had anticipated needing something, and asked the GA when I got off the plane at my destination for some sort of proof of delay. She wasn't familiar with the concept, but printed out a flight status summary that showed the original scheduled arrival time and the actual arrival time (as well as the unscheduled refueling stop). It did not show the reason for the delay, but the adjuster ultimately accepted it. I later learned that some airlines have an online form to request a proof of delay especially for trip insurance claims (there are some links in this thread). It can take a few days for the airlines to respond to those requests, however.

For proof of settlement I had nothing, as it was a weather delay and the airlines don't give you anything for weather delays. I said as much in my e-mail reply.

Expense receipts I had, no problem.

Proof of relationship I told them I shouldn't need, since my claim was well under the limit for one traveler, so they could simply drop the others from the claim rather than request more documentation. In a later conversation I learned that it would have been sufficient to simply say in the e-mail "ABC is my wife, BCD is my son age X, and CDE is my daughter age Y," which apparently constitutes "proof" in the insurance world.

Two days after I sent all my documentation in, I got another e-mail thanking me for providing documentation, but they were still missing the exact same list of documents. After some busy days at work, I called them to ask if I really needed to submit everything again. The guy on the phone started to say he just needed the support of trip delay, proof of airline settlement, and proof of relationship. But after putting me on hold they apparently accepted the airline printout I gave them as support of trip delay, accepted my verbal explanation that there was no proof of settlement because there was no claim to be made for a weather delay, and accepted my verbal statement that the other travelers were my wife and children (it probably helps that we all have the same last name).

A day after the phone call I got another e-mail from an adjuster, asking for my children's ages. I replied with the ages. Two days after that, I got an e-mail saying my claim had been approved and that I can expect a check in the mail. I'll report back when I get the check.

Miscellany

I had assumed that all claimed expenses needed to be charged to my Prestige card, and had charged them accordingly. But since the claim is handled by an outside insurance company and they are issuing a check (not a statement credit), I suspect it's not necessary.

The insurance company handling these claims for Citi (IDS Property Casualty Insurance) is the same one handling claims for Chase.

I will say that knowing we had this benefit made our delay somewhat less stressful. Instead of freaking out about what would happen if we got stranded overnight in the refueling city, we started researching hotels (without caring about the price, since we effectively had a $500/person budget). And of course being an FT nerd, as the delay approached the 3hr mark I found myself rooting for it to last JUST A LITTLE LONGER so I could see how the benefit really worked. Fortunately my wife is a good sport and didn't kill me. And, well, you're welcome!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
since we effectively had a $500/person budget
Is this accurate? The terms don't indicate anything about per person.

... we may reimburse you for expenses you incur because of the delay. You're covered for up to $500 per trip.
I have filed a claim using the Prestige benefit, it was also under $500, but I can comment that the process was equally as painless.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Does anyone have a link explaining the benefits of the Hilton Reserve trip delay reimbursements? Or can assume it to be the same as the AA Exec benefits?

I have two legs on a journey, the first of which is often delayed, and the connection time is only 45 minutes. If the delayed first leg causes me to miss the second leg, and I have to spend a night at airport hotel, is the hotel and food cost covered by Citi, if it's not covered by the airline?

Last edited by TOMFORD; Jun 28, 2015 at 11:19 am
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
Does anyone have a link ...
Click the appropriate link in post #1:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23526903-post1.html
Old Jun 28, 2015, 1:15 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Click the appropriate link in post #1:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23526903-post1.html
Thanks! What if I miss my second leg, and the cost of the hotel at destination is non-refundable/too late to cancel - will that be covered as well under the $500 budget?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:33 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Anyone know if they can ever just issue a credit? it's a bit annoying to have to wait for a check and cash it in especially since i live away from home for some time
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
And if it turns out that mid level airline cards don't work for baggage fee waivers when booking TYP flight redemptions (see my other post in the forum about that), then there is no reason not put everything on the Citi Prestige card.
I don't know about the other airlines, but on AA baggage fee waivers (and priority boarding) are based on whether your AAdvantage profile indicates you are a Citi AAdvantage cardmember, not based on what card you actually used to book the trip. I've booked more than one AA trip using TYPs and still had all the benefits of my Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card applied to my trips.

Originally Posted by ffflllyyyeeerrr
Is this accurate? The terms don't indicate anything about per person.
Good question.

The terms say "In the description of What’s covered and What’s not covered below, “you” means any person who’s covered by this benefit." So when it says "You’re covered for up to $500 per trip" I interpret that to mean that "each of you" is covered for up to $500 per trip.

But the wording is different in the Trip Cancellation and Lost Baggage protections, where it clearly says the benefit is "per person, per trip" or "per person, per bag" as opposed to just "per trip" for Trip Delay. So I'm not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Anyone know if they can ever just issue a credit? it's a bit annoying to have to wait for a check and cash it in especially since i live away from home for some time
Since the payment comes from an outside insurance company and not Citi, I don't think there's any way for them to issue a statement credit.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:31 am

FWIW the check arrived less than a week after the e-mail announcing the claim had been approved.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
If you bought the tickets using the CitiExecutive card, but cancelled the card when the AF came up, are you still covered by trip delay?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
If you bought the tickets using the CitiExecutive card, but cancelled the card when the AF came up, are you still covered by trip delay?
They probably have a clause saying you have to be a current card member, but I'm not sure.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Well, I am a current cardholder of the CitiExecutive card with Citi, but not that particular account.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
The coverage period of the services described in this Guide will be
cancelled on the date your charging privileges on your card have in
any way been suspended, or if your account is suspended, or if your
account has been closed. If for any reason your account is closed, or
you default under your cardmember agreement, your eligibility to
receive the services described herein will immediately be cancelled.
https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf
Old Aug 26, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do they count 3 hour delay from scheduled departure time or actual arrival time of delayed flight?
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do they count 3 hour delay from scheduled departure time or actual arrival time of delayed flight?
Good question. The T&Cs are unclear on this point, which is generally a good thing, I think. If your departure is delayed on the ground and you need meals, etc. then this certainly applies (even if they were to make up time in the air, how would you have known that in advance?). If your arrival is delayed (e.g. flight is circling or is diverted) causing you to miss your connection or incur a long layover, then I imagine you could argue you are covered. (And, in the case of missing a connection and having to spend the night or forfeit the trip, you could invoke the trip interruption coverage). Here is the T&Cs themselves for you to explore:

https://image.info9.citibank.com/lib...n_Benefits.pdf
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:38 pm

I purchased a trip on my Premier and my trip was delayed over 12 hours. I didn't have my premier on me, so used my prestige for food and hoped for the best.

My experience was just like themicah, and I had no issue getting reimbursed, even though I used a different Citi card. I suspect that a card from any bank issuer could be used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.